Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tesco Old Swan

There was a period during which they bought out the competition but continued to trade under the old name, much in the same way that Netto continues to exist although its Danish owners have sold out to Asda/ Walmart. Maybe this coincides with the period of invisibility you're referring to, Lindy?

Tesco took over Hillards in the 70's to which they had 40 branches in the North.

The name tesco cam from the bloke who started it all....Jack Cohen who bought Tea from T.E Stockwell....TES CO,co coming fom Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    There was a period during which they bought out the competition but continued to trade under the old name, much in the same way that Netto continues to exist although its Danish owners have sold out to Asda/ Walmart. Maybe this coincides with the period of invisibility you're referring to, Lindy?

There wasn't a "period of invisibility".
    I think Linda was referring to the loss of some Tescos.
    As I said, that was thinning out.

All the Irwins stores were converted into Tesco self-service stores within a year of the takeover.

In much less time it's taken the Co-op to rebrand the Somerfield stores.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    You have to laugh at this type of statement,A tin of Heinz Beans is no different than the Heinz beans in Sommerfields or or any other cheaper supermarkets chain.

The differenece can only come in the likes of food that is supposed to be eaten fresh ie Veg,Fruit,Packaged meat.

Sainsburys is just a posh name and that is it...no more no less.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Old thread I kno,Lindy but Tesco's have taken over the Summefield branch on walton road ie the one across the road fom the spellow lane library.
    Somerfield are ok I suppose, but they are overpriced and less variety I think. You have to watch what you are buying in there.

I hear good reports about Morrisons, but we don't have one anywhere near to Anfield, so I haven't checked them out. I went in a Morrisons once in Wales.

Asda, I'm not a great fan of because it's a bigger version of Kwiksave - same products and cheaper lines.

Sainsburys is a nice shop but expensive !

I went in a Morrisons once in Wales.
    Cor the petrol money you must have spent travelling to Wales,it would been cheaper to shop at Mak&Sparks.

There's a Morrisons on Walton Road and I'm not sure? but Ithink there's one on Brecky

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

All the Irwins stores were converted into Tesco self-service stores within a year of the takeover.

yes, unless I'm imagining it - but Tescos became very low key for a long time - - I just wonder how they made this sudden boom .. it did seem to happen suddenly.
    A comeback is one thing, but the Tesco takeover is overwhelming now people are making jokes about tesco taking over the world How did they suddenly get so big !! ?

Tell a lie its a Heron frozen foods and the Brecky one is FarmFoods.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Tell a lie its a Heron frozen foods and the Brecky one is FarmFoods.
    yes, .. .. I was going to say, there is no Morrisons on Brecky .. or Walton rd

Morrisons is probably too posh for Breck rd ! ha,ha.

Oh just do what I do then....Get me tinned and frozen foods at Iceland plus Waburtons Baps,and ifI want fresh crusty bread I o to Asda.

I practically buy allmy stuff from Iceland as its dirt cheap and the same produce on most supermarket shelves.

Morrisons have a better class of shoplifters, LOL.

I save on Bog rolls as well,I buy the kitchen rolls for £1.00 and if I were to cut em in half I'd have 8 bog rolls

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

15 Breaded Ham slices at £3 and very tasty it is
    6 Mars Bars at £1.75 sometimes the same price for 10 at speciall offer
    8 Warburtons white Bread rolls £1 and always fresh
    MMrKipling Country Slices £1.25and really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    yes, unless I'm imagining it - but Tescos became very low key for a long time - - I just wonder how they made this sudden boom .. it did seem to happen suddenly.
    A comeback is one thing, but the Tesco takeover is overwhelming now people are making jokes about tesco taking over the world How did they suddenly get so big !! ?

In the mid-1960s Tesco started building supermarkets.
    The one in Aigburth Road is still going strong.
    All the out-of-date (and small) former Irwins were disposed of.

Admittedly, they have now have branched out into smaller "convenience" stores, and Tesco do seem to be everywhere.

The public seem to prefer Tesco.
    Ironically, their original slogan of "Pile it High. Sell it Cheap" doesn't seem to apply these days.

I like Tescos as it's middle ground, ie, the likes of Sainsburys and Marks & Spencers food hall are far too expensive. On the other hand, there are the 'lower end' cheapo supermarkets.
    So I find that Tesco is somewhere in the middle which suits me - not too dear and not too cheapo.

Iceland. I do buy certain things in there, but not the frozen junk foods for a pound ! They are too cheap and nasty - full of chemicals and food colouring!
    Iceland is ok if you choose the right things in there.

.. and who the heck can afford to food shop in Marks !!

15 Breaded Ham slices at £3 and very tasty it is
    6 Mars Bars at £1.75 sometimes the same price for 10 at speciall offer
    8 Warburtons white Bread rolls £1 and always fresh
    MMrKipling Country Slices £1.25and really nice.

and more....

Fray Bentos steak&Kidney Pie(now this is yummy cos I ate half yesteday)4 portion tin £1
    Anchor Butter 500Gs £2
    Big bags of Minstels £2 I used to get these for the dog(thats a Canine,Ged)but started eating them meself as well,dogs gone in a sulk when it sees me eatin em.
    Richmond 8 Thick Pork Sausages £2 now these are very tasty when grilled.
    2lb Granulated sugar 79p

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

I wasn't referring to Irwins - I know nothing about them. There were many other competitors that Tesco bought out, but continued to operate under the old name. Then there were the kite-flying Victor Value branches.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast