Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco Old Swan

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

The day they let the tenaments come down and the supermarket in was the start of the end for Old Swan.

/[/url]

Old Swan will survive Tesco

It will always be a thriving place. yep the traffic is a bloomin pain, that is my only problem . as for Tesco itself I was pleased the day it opened. Makes my shopping easier

By the way I am an Old Swan resident and I have no problems with Tesco.
    I dont believe they will take all the business, and if i lived in a one of the mentioned streets i would well sell up. We have known from day one that Tesco would one day build an upper floor on the store, they have always made that clear. just lose the extra parking space, build a Tesco tram I believe one day a tunnell will be built, I hope so as that corner of Prescot road/ Broadgreen road is so small and so chocka block.

yeah Sainsburys is good too. They are all too far from where I am tho' - the nearest one to me is down by Walton hospital. I would only go there if I got a lift

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    yeah Sainsburys is good too. They are all too far from where I am tho' - the nearest one to me is down by Walton hospital. I would only go there if I got a lift
    You will be able to get a lift at the Old Swan store.

Up to the first floor

Yes Lindylou i do use Utting Ave Asda (as little as possible) but if/when i use Asda i try and go tothe one at Aintree. I shop in other shops, but my main food shop is Tesco. Hey Lindylou, probably banged into you at Broadway, i'm there all the time.
    Life is what you make it

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I would"nt go to any of them,Sainsbury is the place to shop, better quality all round, cheers.
    Not many people have the luxury Ernie. At the expense of exposing class identity to corporate brands, I think there is a reason there aren't many Sainsbury's across the outer ring of the city centre. Getting money off your next trip to Rome with your bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon just isn't a revenue earner there.

Regarding the issue at hand, with transport and conjestion being the obvious problem with a Tesco expansion a simple solution would be for our city council to promote the idea that Tesco invest in the infrastructure surrounding the site. A small bus depot built into the site, coordinated with Merseytravel and city planners redirecting traffic and widening roads? Its not difficult, just don't let them get away with building something that furthers their own ends at the expense of the hard working people who live around there.
    Last edited by TemujinTengri; 06-13-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Adding content

I buy differnt things in different stores. I get certain things in Iceland, a few things occasionally from Asda, and sometimes Co-Op Pioneer in Broadway. I shop around for what I want. I do like to use local shops too.
    I go to Tescos in Old Swan when I can get a lift there - I wish they would open a Tescos in Anfield. We did have a Tescos in 1960's/70s up Breck rd ( it's a furniture shop now) - also there was a very small Tesco on Priory rd which was taken over by a small family run supermarket business.

I Don't go to Aldi very often, but funnily enough I went there yesterday - -someone told me they had good frying pans there - they have, and I got one ! I was told that Thursday is the best day to got o Aldi as that is when they get all the new stock bargains in.

There used to be asmall one i think by Peter Thompsons garage Anfield mid 60's

The United Kingdom of Tesco has struck here too. We are losing two high rise blocks and our sports centre to Tesco even though most of the locals and the local council are fighting it. We have a Tesco here but because the locl Sainsburys and Morrisons are bigger Tesco is determined to make inroads, they have already bought out Netto .

This will mean we will have four Superhypermarkets on the main drag through our little town. How much money do they think we have to spend? Its capitalism gone mad when a Supermarket can override a town council.

So the extension got stopped ? don’t think it would have made any difference to the swan ? only jobs were lost ?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Was this the Tesco that was built bigger than they'd had planning permission for, so they were told not to use the extra space?

Having said that, I can't wait for Tesco to open in Park Road.
    Somerfield's prices are so much more expensive, and the service is awful.
    Hang on! Somerfield were taken over ages ago by the Co-operative and their branch in Park Road is now quite good... And improving all the time! It would in my opinion be very sad if they went to the wall because of the arrival of Tesco almost opposite.

And of course, if you're a member, you get the profits, not the Tesco shareholders!

Bear in mind John. The post you are replying to is 3 years old, almost to the day though his sentiments may still be the same
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Hang on! Somerfield were taken over ages ago by the Co-operative and their branch in Park Road is now quite good... And improving all the time! It would in my opinion be very sad if they went to the wall because of the arrival of Tesco almost opposite.

And of course, if you're a member, you get the profits, not the Tesco shareholders!

As pointed out, John, that post was 3 years ago, before the Co-op took over Somerfield.

Somerfield were Gateway, who were Lennons.
    Lennons was a terrible firm (I've worked for them).

The Somerfield in Park Road (now Co-op) is my local.
    It was Kwik-Save, and kept all the Kwik-Save staff.
    The Co-op is OK, but even when I worked for them in the early 1960s they were called "The Dying Giant".
    I also worked for Tesco in the early 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Old Swan will survive Tesco

It will always be a thriving place. yep the traffic is a bloomin pain, that is my only problem . as for Tesco itself I was pleased the day it opened. Makes my shopping easier

By the way I am an Old Swan resident and I have no problems with Tesco.
    I dont believe they will take all the business, and if i lived in a one of the mentioned streets i would well sell up.
    Whether you see Tesco as a threat mainly depends on who you are. If you were the little Pharmacy opposite you might well be very upset: one of the conditions of Tesco coming to Old Swan was that they would not have one of their own... Yet now mysteriously they do have one. They seem to be able to march in everywhere and ignore regulations when it suits them. Maybe not all the local shops will suffer - I see the sharks are already circling in Park Road as the Compensation Claims solicitors and the like are opening to replace the small bakeries and corner shops that are moving out.

And then of course, there are those RFID spychips, the next bit of technological 'progress' that Tesco are already experimenting with, see:
    http://www.boycotttesco.com/index.html

"EVERY LITTLE HURTS"
    Last edited by John Doh; 01-24-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Adding content

I would"nt go to any of them,Sainsbury is the place to shop, better quality all round, cheers.
    You have to laugh at this type of statement,A tin of Heinz Beans is no different than the Heinz beans in Sommerfields or or any other cheaper supermarkets chain.

The differenece can only come in the likes of food that is supposed to be eaten fresh ie Veg,Fruit,Packaged meat.

Sainsburys is just a posh name and that is it...no more no less.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

I wish we had a Tescos in Anfield. I don't like Somerfield either.
    we have an Asda but I'm not an Asda fan. Tescos is better.
    Old thread I kno,Lindy but Tesco's have taken over the Summefield branch on walton road ie the one across the road fom the spellow lane library.

It's amazing how Tesco have multiplied during the last few years.
    They were popular in the 1960s when there were quite a few of them dotted around. They were smaller shops then but there were quite a lot of branches in various districts - there were two in Anfield that I can think of off the top of my head - a fairly large one up Breck rd, and a smaller one on Priory rd. I know there was one in Granby st. (I knew someone who worked there).
    Suddenly, during the 1970s I suppose, Tescos - for whatever reason - started to disappear. I know that the 2 in Anfield were taken over. I don't remember many branches of Tescos being around during the early 1980s - can only think of the one in the Bootle Strand.
    Anyway, come the last decade and Tescos suddenly re-emerged and are now in abundance.
    I wonder why they had that marked dip inbetween decades

It's amazing how Tesco have multiplied during the last few years.
    They were popular in the 1960s when there were quite a few of them dotted around. They were smaller shops then but there were quite a lot of branches in various districts - there were two in Anfield that I can think of off the top of my head - a fairly large one up Breck rd, and a smaller one on Priory rd. I know there was one in Granby st. (I knew someone who worked there).
    Suddenly, during the 1970s I suppose, Tescos - for whatever reason - started to disappear. I know that the 2 in Anfield were taken over. I don't remember many branches of Tescos being around during the early 1980s - can only think of the one in the Bootle Strand.
    Anyway, come the last decade and Tescos suddenly re-emerged and are now in abundance.
    I wonder why they had that marked dip inbetween decades

Tesco got into this part of the country by taking over Irwins (about 1960-61).
    All the Irwins were rebranded as Tesco.
    Irwins had more shops than Tesco needed, so there was a lot of thinning out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast