Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr should be ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    we have one of the best actors in the world i think pete posselwaite (not sure how you spell it) for example. anyway liverpool was on the map before the beatles i dont think he owes it anything and the city owes him nothing, thats just my opinion.
    debbie
    Hi Debbie

I believe Pete Postlethwaite is from Warrington, born there on February 16, 1946 -- per the Internet Movie Database. I agree though that he's a fine actor, in fact, Steven Spielberg is said to called Pete Postlethwaite "the best actor in the world" (see the page on the actor in Wikipedia).

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I'll second that. Pete Postlethwaite is my favourite actor. You're right Chris - he is from Warrington.
    It is Accomplished

Chris48

So here we go. Front pages of the press and on the National news. I still say that its a load of fuss about nothing .

oh pete was born in warrington, i never knew that, he sounds like a scouser oh well it's only down the road
    thanks chrisgeorge

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    oh pete was born in warrington, i never knew that, he sounds like a scouser oh well it's only down the road
    thanks chrisgeorge
    It is his job to sound like whatever he is playing.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    It is his job to sound like whatever he is playing.
    And, of course, Liverpool is more famous than Warrington.

Default Ringo

I watched the Jonathan Ross show and Ringo came across as an arsehole and an uneducated one at that! How much was he paid to attend the opening night of the Capital of Culture? Whatever it was, he was grossly overpaid. He was completely oblivious to the feelings of all the Liverpudlians who stood in the freezing cold to see him perform and what a complete and utter waste of time. I wouldn't go to see him if he was at the end of our street! Gerry Marsden should have been star billing at least he is a great ambassador of Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesamee View Post
    I watched the Jonathan Ross show and Ringo came across as an arsehole and an uneducated one at that! How much was he paid to attend the opening night of the Capital of Culture? Whatever it was, he was grossly overpaid. He was completely oblivious to the feelings of all the Liverpudlians who stood in the freezing cold to see him perform and what a complete and utter waste of time. I wouldn't go to see him if he was at the end of our street! Gerry Marsden should have been star billing at least he is a great ambassador of Liverpool.
    Speaking frankly, whether you like it or not, Gerry is a smaller light than the Beatles. That's no diminishment of his achievement. It's just a fact. Liverpool needed the two remaining Beatles to come back, worldwide the city's most famous sons, to make the City of Culture year what it is.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

shytalk i know he has to do an accent for what ever part he is playing, but to me he sounds permantly like a scouser.
    anyway not all famous liverpool people have a nice attitude i can name a few i have met. so ringo starr is not the only one. he just went on telly and told it how it is he does,nt miss liverpool, what,s wrong with that. i am sure there is alot of famous people out there who don,t miss where they where born.

Steven

Can I add to this ??? Ritchie Starkie came from a very deprived area of Liverpool. He was abandoned as a child and spent a lot of time in hospital. When he did go to school he went to Dingle Vale/ later to become Shorefields Comp.

I am not doing a POOR ME here on Ringo's behalf

He left this city when he was 21 >>> For warmer places >>> Jeeze ??? who would blame him ? He had earned the cash. I am not going to go into detail about him or Zak, they both keep in touch with me from time to time.

He came back to launch his new single ( I told him on the phone that It Was Crap).

I don't think he did MY CITY a diservice,, I have listenened to all of his interviews. To me he has been full of praise for Liverpool. Also, I feel that he was manipulated in London, and the full interview was not told !

Thanks for your input, Steven, which is helpful. I also don't think that Ringo has an anti-Liverpool or snobby attitude. He is not known for being against Liverpool. Quite the opposite. Although I do agree that his answer to that question was unfortunate and ill judged.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

I see that Liverpool Confidential have made their contribution to the debate:

Exclusive: Ringo in “couldn't make it up” shocker

Outrage as talk show remark continues to be talked about at length

More

We really need to be careful here because this overblown reaction to a minor comment really plays into all the stereotypes about scousers beng touchy and defensive. This thread has been more acive than many others put together. A city fully at ease with itself woul take the comments with a shrug and accept them for what they were.

He said he doesnt miss his former home. It doesnt mean he doesnt care about it. He's moved on in life thats all.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks for your input, Steven, which is helpful. I also don't think that Ringo has an anti-Liverpool or snobby attitude. He is not known for being against Liverpool. Quite the opposite. Although I do agree that his answer to that question was unfortunate and ill judged.

Chris

Chris, you've said that before.
    I agree with the majority who weren't a bit bothered.

BTW, have you seen the full interview, yet?

On Radio Merseyside this afternoon, Billy Butler played some of the recent interviews where Ringo spoke ok about his visit to L'pool.
    You can hear the show on the 'listen again' facility on the web-site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...rseyside.shtml

not sure exactly where the interview is - you just have to fast forward thru' the program, or have patience to listen to all of it

ps, there is also a mention on there about a Dom Volante night at the Silvestrian club, 3rd Feb. Frank Carlyle will be there and also a member from this forum - 'Gardens'

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast