Thread: Knotty Ash milepost info reqd

Default Knotty Ash milepost info reqd

Hi everyone - apologies if details relating to my request already exist on this site but I havent come across them so I'm asking those of you who are knowledged in the content of the various threads.

I'm looking into starting a 'mile post' project. I'm based in Knotty Ash and the mile post in question is situated at the corner of Thingwall Lane were it runs onto Thomas Lane. The mile post is fine, dated 1778, but the iron 'finial?' has succummbed to the elements with a severe degree of erosion.
    As the mile post is grade ii listed, I want to know how I would go about getting the 'finial' replaced, if at all possible. I would also like to find a picture of how it should look. I have tried looking (mike roydens site etc) but nothing has cropped up yet. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. My cause could be futile as LCC maybe responsible for refurbishing the finial but with a 70m debt to pay off (it is an ex-tram network, it has gone to meet its none maker) the chances of having this looked into are very very slim.

Cheers,
    Morgo444

Cadfael

Hi there, you get my vote for being on the forum for driving around in a mk2 Fiesta! I've had 4 in my time from a 950cc pop to a concours XR2. Keep it running!!

The post that you mention, do you mean this one (below). There is a historical society for Knotty Ash so do some digging and see what you can find. Thingwall is a very forgotten village in itself bording Thingwall House to that of Bowering Park Road and I think its sad that these small villages are forgotten.

Default big thanks...

thanks cadfael for letting me know about the society, i was going to knock at the house that the post backs on to yesterday as I'm sure she has some info about it but I could see she had a houseful of guests so I may knock today as she only lives 10 doors away. Great picture by the way - did you get it from the knotty ash historical soc. site?. Anyways, I'm off to do some investigative work. The photo may be a few years old as the brown box on the right of the picture is no longer about. As I dont know what the brown box is, i may ask the lady about that too.

thanks again
    Morgo444

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by morgo444 View Post
    thanks cadfael for letting me know about the society, i was going to knock at the house that the post backs on to yesterday as I'm sure she has some info about it but I could see she had a houseful of guests so I may knock today as she only lives 10 doors away. Great picture by the way - did you get it from the knotty ash historical soc. site?. Anyways, I'm off to do some investigative work. The photo may be a few years old as the brown box on the right of the picture is no longer about. As I dont know what the brown box is, i may ask the lady about that too.

thanks again
    Morgo444
    I took it last year in 2007 as well as close up's of the inscription too from all sides.

Cadfael

Here's another picture from my collection showing the top:

Hi Morgo444 and Cadfael

As previously posted by Gnomie (thanks, Tony!) there are photographs of the Thingwall mile marker also at

http://h1.ripway.com/andalucia/thingwall.gif

http://h1.ripway.com/andalucia/thingwall1.gif

Also there's a photograph with information by Sue Adair at

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/96991

Do we have any idea of how the iron finial on top of the marker looked before it got in its present eroded state?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default thingwall lane milepost

Hi Cadfael & Chris.

Firstly - apologies for my first estimation that the first photo was taken a few yeats ago - i have since been past the milepost and the brown box thing still sits unpretty at the kerbside. Also, the most obvious timestamp of the photo was the new flags/concrete splashes on the wall, these occurred mid 2007 when the water main pipes were replaced.

My online investigation regarding the Knotty Ash Historical Society drew a blank. I couldnt even find any info of substance for either the society or the milepost itself.

Cadfael - I'm very glad you posted the second picture of the delapitated finial as you are now aware exactly what my intentions are (if legally possible).

Chris - thanks for pointers, Ive no idea what the finial looked like previously but I can only imagine that it was a double sided arrow pointer as only 2 destinatiosn are on the milepost. These are Broadgreen & Thingwall Lane thoroughfare. I haven't had a chance to ask the people who live adjacent to the milepost coz Ive been busy finishing off the tiling in my mums kitchen (for my sins). I'll have time tomorrow tho.

thanks again gents, I'm off to do some more investigative work thanks to your info

Morgo

Cadfael

Your best port of call would be St John's Church. Forget the neighbours as you'd have to go back many years. The local church always seems to have old pictures of the area - at least it does at Childwall and they may have records there. You're best starting point in my opinion.

Default milepost! - nah!, thats a signpost

it seems I have overlooked the obvious, the milepost is really a signpost - its quite obvious really to anyone who looks at it coz its aint got no 'miles to xxxx' on it!!!.

Cadfael, I'll pop into the church and see whats in the archives....

Morgo444

anyone wanna buy an 88 Fiesta pop plus...sodding thing wouldnt start today!!! what was it that Vivien Leigh once said......

Cadfael

anyone wanna buy an 88 Fiesta pop plus...sodding thing wouldnt start today!!! what was it that Vivien Leigh once said
    Keep em on the road! Check your dizzy cap and plugs for water in the damp weather. If it'll crank but won't start, get a can of 'easy start' and spray it directly in to the air filter - it'll start then!