Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Demolishing arguments

Quote Originally Posted by Urban View Post
    Shed no tears for the end of Coronation Street--- there's more to life.

--- but not all terraced houses are like Coronation st.
    What about the huge Victorian terraced houses like we have on Princes ave.
    There are thankfully still many all around different parts of L'pool. Those like the ones on Edge lane, or roads off Prescot rd, Fairfield, Kensington, parts of Lodge lane, Arkles lane and the roads near to the stadium : Skerries, Wylva, Edith rd's, fine big family houses , also some of the roads off Picton rd have lovely big old houses - in good nick too, and most renovated to a high standard. There are too many to mention.
    These houses are solid, lovely big rooms and many still retaining original decorative features. They would be worth a fortune down south.
    New build houses would be out of character and look ridiculous in these type of areas. Imagine a row of little Barratts houses in Skerries rd

New houses can be nice - but in the right place, and as long as they are sympathetic to the surrounding environment.

for instance, look at the new housing estates they put in place of those that were demolished around L.8. or Everton district .. they have nowhere near the same character as the original housing. Everton Brow had rows and rows of fine big houses - fair enough they were in a bad condition ... but they could have been renovated. It would have been a fantastic and desirable area with fab views over the Mersey. There's nothing left of the original Everton.
    L.8. had the heart ripped out of it and has never been the same since they threw up all those little boxes.
    Thank God some of 'Parly' and Princes ave, Catherine st etc, survived.

Actually, a lot of the new build houses are not much bigger than the 'two up-two downs' .. it's just that they are a different lay-out and a more modern shape. I've been in new houses were you can't swing a cat !
    Also I've seen new houses built SO close they might as well be terraced !!

Not that I've got anything against new ones .. some of them are gorgeous and in lovely locations ... I'm just saying that terraced doesn't always mean bad.
    Last edited by lindylou; 08-14-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Actually I do agree.
    It's just that the very small terraces such as the ones in Walton where I grew up are too small you can walk in off the street, virtually stretch your arms and have the width of the front, and the backs are ugly and rat infested.

I agree that the large terraces are lovely and full of character.

Everton is a good example of an area that had its heart ripped out leaving a featureless nondescript area with a small population.

A.D.Williams

Tinsley Street - 14th August 2006

A.D.Williams

Lake Street - 14th August 2006

A.D.Williams

Lothair Road - 14th August 2006

A.D.Williams

Rockfield Road - 14th August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Those like the ones on Edge lane, or roads off Prescot rd, Fairfield, Kensington, parts of Lodge lane, Arkles lane and the roads near to the stadium : Skerries, Wylva, Edith rd's, fine big family houses , also some of the roads off Picton rd have lovely big old houses - in good nick too, and most renovated to a high standard. There are too many to mention.
    These houses are solid, lovely big rooms and many still retaining original decorative features. They would be worth a fortune down south.
    New build houses would be out of character and look ridiculous in these type of areas. Imagine a row of little Barratts houses in Skerries rd

New houses can be nice - but in the right place, and as long as they are sympathetic to the surrounding environment.

I agree. Nice large houses in many cases. TERRIBLE neighbourhoods. The problem in my opinion is not the houses, but the government. Why does the City Council, police, etc. allow such bad neighbourhoods to continue to be so terrible? Why don't they patrol and clean them up? Start arresting thieves, trespassers, arsonists, yobs, gangs and drug dealers? These are the real questions. Don't they realise that when they tear down the houses in bad neighbourhoods, the bad elements will remain in Liverpool (They will just move on to cause trouble to houses still left standing and the families that occupy these houses?) So the City Council's so-called 'Social Cleansing' will not solve the underlying problems - it will just move the problems on to a new neighbourhood (Perhaps even yours and mine)...

I agree, they do appear to be using demolition as a means of addressing anti-social behaviour. It doesn't make sense.

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I agree, they do appear to be using demolition as a means of addressing anti-social behaviour. It doesn't make sense.
    I was 'verbally abused' by the street arabs when taking the above pictures.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    The houses aren't the problem! They are what make the neighbourhood what it is! Ok, the locals do have some sort of influance on how the area turns out but there is no need to take it out on the houses!

I do agree that the backs of these houses can be very grotty. Especially if your home backs onto one of the shop blocks that are totally or partially derelict. If you go to the Dorothy Street/Wavertree Road area, you will see what I mean.

I cannot congratulate you enough for capturing these homes before they are pulled down; I will be making it a priority to get over there next week once I have settled in and moved. That's if the street hasn't been cordoned off!

Well Done

Russ
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    I was 'verbally abused' by the street arabs when taking the above pictures.

Demolition is too good for them.

Seems a big amount of Anfield/Everton house are abandoned like in Dave's pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban View Post
    Actually I do agree.
    It's just that the very small terraces such as the ones in Walton where I grew up are too small you can walk in off the street, virtually stretch your arms and have the width of the front, and the backs are ugly and rat infested.

I agree that the large terraces are lovely and full of character.

Everton is a good example of an area that had its heart ripped out leaving a featureless nondescript area with a small population.

Yes, those tiny two up- two downs are far too small. My dad was born and raised in one off Goodison rd. Many of them though, are renovated, and the people have them like little palaces. But I would'nt like a house that small.

Many of the new builds are equally as small as I already said. Some of them are walk in off the street too. The ones that do have a small entrance hall are narrow enough that your shoulders almost touch the walls!

I wouldn't mind a new build if I could afford one of the big detached ones !!

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Demolition is too good for them.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, those tiny two up- two downs are far too small. My dad was born and raised in one off Goodison rd. Many of them though, are renovated, and the people have them like little palaces. But I would'nt like a house that small.

Many of the new builds are equally as small as I already said. Some of them are walk in off the street too. The ones that do have a small entrance hall are narrow enough that your shoulders almost touch the walls!

I wouldn't mind a new build if I could afford one of the big detached ones !!
    We a family of 5 lived in a 2 up 2 down, outside toilet and all that lark... Today I own my own home, a 3 up 2 down terraced house...with an inside toilet... built in the 60's ..

Progress eh?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast