Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Demolishing arguments

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey
    If I have got the right end of the stick, this would be a very good idea for Town/City Centre sites that need to be developed. Birkenhead for example, has loads of bare patches around Conway Street that would be great for Commercial/High spec apartment developments!
    Brownfield sites. Some should be built on, others should not and made into open areas for our cramped towns and cities to breath.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL'S plans to bulldoze 3,000 terraced houses as part of the biggest residential clearance programme for 40 years are back on track after the Government gave the go-ahead to the scheme.

Local Government Secretary of State Ruth Kelly yesterday lifted orders which prevented planning permission for the massive regeneration programme from going ahead.

Earlier this year, Liverpool City Council granted outline planning permission for the three Housing Market Renewal Initiative (HMRI) schemes at Anfield and Breckfield, Picton and Edge Hill.

Under the so-called Pathways regeneration strategy, 3,000 homes will be demolished and replaced by new ones.

Mrs Kelly put the plans on hold in July while she sought more information from the council on design issues and affordability.

Now the council has been told that the Secretary of State has decided not to "call-in" the plans and the direction has been lifted.

The Government move comes as a public inquiry into compulsory purchase orders for around 1,000 homes in the four areas continues.

The council's Liberal Party leader, Cllr Steve Radford, who is opposing the clearance programme, said: "While I'm disappointed the go-ahead has been given, the fight is not over yet.

"We have been fighting this scheme tooth and nail at the current public inquiry, which is now in its summing-up stages.

"The freezing of the plans by the secretary of state shows the council's total lack of detail, even though they have already moved two-thirds of the population out. It's about social cleansing rather than community regeneration.

"Pathways is really a house-crusher project. We need to keep our affordable housing, not get rid of it at enormous expense."

The city council insist that a housing strategy is vital to create sustainable communities by providing the types of houses that people want to live in, rather than attempt to refurbish unpopular small and worn-out terraced homes.

Following Mrs Kelly's decision, Cllr Marilyn Fielding, executive member for neighbourhoods and housing, said: "We were always confident that the proper planning procedures had been followed and that we could satisfy the points which had been raised on design and affordability.

"HMRI is about providing decent, affordable homes in areas where the housing market has collapsed and these plans will do that."

alanweston@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    The point is that I own one of these inadequate Victorian terraces (which has stood for over 100 years and which would probably stand for another 100 years) and that if it gets demolished I won't. Neither will I own one of the new builds that you promote, as the pittance offered in compulsary purchase (due to the reduction in market value resulting from the regeneration activity) will not pay for a replacement and I am too old to get another mortgage. I will consequently have to move out of the area and probably pay out rent that I do not currently pay to live somewhere even less adequate. I will lose my home that I have paid for and some other wealthier person will move into the new build that replaces it. If it was a case of 'a-home-for-a-home' then I would have no argument with you. As it is, this is not my idea of regenerating a community but rather replacing it ('gentrification'). I personally do not think this is right and won't be going without a fight!
    Well said Howie. We are like you, we live in a Victorian terrace built in 1878. It is a lovely big house and we have worked long and hard to renovate it. Our house is fab inside - even tho' I say it myself. we could never afford another house of this size - and like you we don't want to take on another mortgage now (we are in our 50s). My family have lived in this house since 1940s and all my family history has been here. Anfield was a good area in those days, it's such a shame to see it go down the nick.
    The new build houses might look a bit pretty but they are like dolls houses - so small and pokey inside (unless you can afford to pay an absolute fortune for a biggish one).
    We have 8 big rooms in our house - the bedrooms are all double. The so called 'master bedrooms' in these new builds would fit twice or three times into ours !
    I love my house. It's just the deterioration of the area that is the let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways
    You poor sod.

They are still crocks, and need demolishing for superior homes befitting the 21st century.
    If you could see my house you wouldn't say that ! I will post some pics when I get around to it.
    I am proud of what we have done here - and if this house was in another location it would be worth a fortune.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I feel sorry for those affected by these orders. for one, they are being messed around by Whitehall Beurocrats who just cannot secide wheather to save our city or resume the 60's clearence. I would have thought that Ms Kelly would undestand the need to keep these houses intact seeing as she is a North Western MP, Is she going to allow Horwich or Bolton to be pulled down because of the presence of terraces? I think not!

Why do I get the impression that these demolision plans are being put through blindfolded? I mean, do these people understand the consequences of pulling down one of Liverpool's famous suburbs?

I do agree that Anfield/Oakfield are looking a bit rundown. But roads such as St Domingo Vale can be renovated. Skerries Street was and look how great that now looks! it can be done, and if there was a big profit/backhander in the offerring, I bet those Whitehall folk would decide to renovate and conserve rather than pull down.

Just look at Liverpool from the Air and Ainscough's Liverpool. These two books will show you what the city has lost. So many good standard, quality buildings have been lost so that landscaping and prefab housing can be erected. They are pulling down such iconinc examples of Victorian housing so that sub-standard boxes ,with no charm, can be put up instead. We have seen what this does. It destroys communities and destroy's people's pride in thier city.

Watchdog's deal to check house plans
    Aug 3 2006
    By Alan Weston Daily Post Staff

THE GOVERNMENT'S watchdog on design and public space has withdrawn its objections to Liverpool's mass house clearance scheme in deprived areas.

In an unprecedented move, the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) had opposed the city council's compulsory purchase orders, which would allow them to bulldoze 3,000 terraced homes as part of its controversial Pathways regeneration strategy.

CABE said the council's application for the compulsory purchase orders did not contain enough detail to show that the areas where the demolitions were taking place - in Anfield and Breckfield, Picton and Edge Hill - would be improved by the new housing.

Now, however, the council has made an undertaking to CABE that it will not issue planning permission until a series of conditions are met. These are:
    • A working group to directly advise the planning committee to be established, consisting of CABE, English Heritage, the council, the developer and representatives from the community.
    • A detailed masterplan to be produced and submitted to the working group.
    • A design code to be prepared and submitted to the working group.

Selina Mason, CABE's director of design review, said: "It is the first time CABE has objected to a CPO but after detailed and careful consideration, we have been able to withdraw our objections, given that our concerns about design will be addressed.

"This is by no means an ideal process.

" It would have been better if the council had insisted on a masterplan in the first place.

"What we have now achieved is a mechanism to ensure design is considered before planning permission is granted.

"CABE advises on how to deliver good design and insists on quality, but we are still seeing mediocre housing that should not be considered acceptable for the people that are going to live there."

Earlier this week, Local Government Secretary Ruth Kelly also lifted orders which prevented planning permission for the massive regeneration scheme from going ahead.

Cllr Marilyn Fielding, executive member for Neighbourhoods and Housing, said: "Clearly we welcome CABE's decision to withdraw their objection. We recognise the concerns they have and we have been working hard with them to resolve the issues they raised, and we take on board their views on master planning. We would hope that in future we would work in partnership with CABE and other interested bodies to deliver schemes of this nature."

alanweston@dailypost.co.uk

Source: icLiverpool

The Buldozers move in to Cheers

Lake Street and neighbouring streets in Anfield are now in the process of being pulled down to make way for New Heartlands developments. These streets have allegedly been empty for years and will be wiped out in a few weeks.

Housing Experts have said that these houses are past there sell by and I can understand that especially if the terraces have been vacant for a long spell (no maintainace carried out ect) so it is likely that there is no going back. (although surveyers checks would be nice to have a look over if made public!)

But what is going to put up in their place? I have an extract here from "An Illustrated History of Liverpool's Suburbs" This is the closing statement on Anfield...

Today Anfield is a run down district, and is not an fashoinable or glamourous place to live and work. Unlike Everton, however, it has retained much of it's Victorian housing stock. Two and three story red brick townhouses with terrocotta details are the norm here, and the needless demolision of the 1960's has left little impact on the area. It is hoped that if Liverpool Football Club move to a new location on Stanley Park, then the move will trigger a large amount of rejuvination of the area. It is hoped that many of these elegent houses will be retained and renovated and that the character of this attractive Victorian area is not thoughtlessly destroyed.
    I think that this statement is very true. The area isn't all that glamourous but was it ever intended to be? It is a good honest district that is now under threat from ugly boxes being built right in the heart of the place. I hope that the new buildings are symapthetic toward what was there previously and I hope that the number or buildings renovated and retained out weigh the amount that are to be pulled down. I don't mind seeing tired victorian terraces pulled down as long as the replacement buildings (especially in an area like Anfield) are built to mimik the previous occupiers. Modern won't go in an area like Anfield. Childwall or Norris Green possibly but Anfield or Walton or Tuebrook No.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Yes, I agree with all that Wallasey.

I do agree that some terraced streets that are beyond repair do need to be swept away - usually the tiny two up/two down type.
    But it is quite true that an area like Anfield would not suit 'ticky-tacky boxes'
    However, there are some being built up the top of Breck road, and some are 3storey - like the original houses that were there before.
    I don't agree with the large Victorian terraces being demolished if they are still in reasonable condition. They are marvellous dwellings when renovated. Lots of space in these family houses. They look good too.

Shed no tears for the end of Coronation Street--- there's more to life.

FKoE

Yesterday it was No Dogs, No Blacks, and No Irish.

Today it is....No Working-class

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, I agree with all that Wallasey.

I do agree that some terraced streets that are beyond repair do need to be swept away - usually the tiny two up/two down type.
    But it is quite true that an area like Anfield would not suit 'ticky-tacky boxes'
    However, there are some being built up the top of Breck road, and some are 3storey - like the original houses that were there before.
    I don't agree with the large Victorian terraces being demolished if they are still in reasonable condition. They are marvellous dwellings when renovated. Lots of space in these family houses. They look good too.
    Wil ltry and get over there once I have settled in and have aquired my Student pass!!! It's great to here that something of Victorian Ilk is being built instead of plain, hum-drum boxes that "depress" the area and only accelerate a down-spiral. As the writer of the book says, Anfield should aim to have it's terraces retianed and renovated. This could be a great location to be in with a good supply of shopping facilities and bus links into and around the city.

Anfield will never be the ultimate upper crust place to live in the city with boarded up terraces and "crumbling" homes. But i do think that by renovating the area to it's origanal glory is viable. Skerries Road has been renovated; and how great that looks now! The street has so much pride and is a shining example of what can be done in all areas of the city. Not just Anfield but Edge Lane, Welsh Streets and Garston ect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    If I have got the right end of the stick, this would be a very good idea for Town/City Centre sites that need to be developed. Birkenhead for example, has loads of bare patches around Conway Street that would be great for Commercial/High spec apartment developments!
    In the whole scale of the UK, there just isn't enough brownfield sites to develop - that is propaganda pushed by large landowners. Birkenhead may have some but mainly in commercial areas.

To encourage high quality high rises, the infrastructure & amenities have to be there around, or guaranteed, to attract anyone.

Birkenhead and Wallasey are best to concentrate on developing the redundant docks between the towns. They have a brilliant opportunity to create a water based residential/leisure environment right up to 4 miles from the river. Filling in Bidston dock was a really daft thing to do.

Very True, the East and West floats have great potential to be home for both residential and leasure uses. The warehouse where the Historic Warships were are to be apartments (East Float) and the West Float is home to the LVRC (Liverpool Victoria Rowing Club ) to which many Birkonians and Wallaseians have joined. However, what mustn't be overlooked is that the docks in Birkenhead and Wallasey are also major sources of employment. There are business parks and industrial units being built and or modernised to suit small business'.

On the Bidston Dock; from what I have heard is that the dock was filled in so that a HGV parking facility could be built as part of the Twelve Quays but as you can see, nothing has happened. I also heard that the Penny Bridge outside of the Bidston Dock was to be taken out (as it crosses nothing now) and be moved to the Duke Street Bridge. This has also come to nothing. Maybe this was purely specualtion!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Very True, the East and West floats have great potential to be home for both residential and leasure uses. The warehouse where the Historic Warships were are to be apartments (East Float) and the West Float is home to the LVRC (Liverpool Victoria Rowing Club ) to which many Birkonians and Wallaseians have joined. However, what mustn't be overlooked is that the docks in Birkenhead and Wallasey are also major sources of employment. There are business parks and industrial units being built and or modernised to suit small business'.
    A long term plan is needed. The small businesses can be moved to proper modern business parks. The same applies to Liverpool. They can then concentrate of getting the Floats built up. The floats are so large they could have solid causeways built out into the water, could be curved or whatever, to accommodate residential buildings, restaurants on the tip of them, etc. The potential is enormous. But two towns may never agree – a big problem

Birkenhead, Bebington, Wallasey, etc should be all one place. Titled, City of Wirral or whatever. Or better still incorporated into Liverpool. Collectively, they have even less of an idea than Liverpool. There are no buildings of any repute on the Wirral, with a boring bland riverside. Lok at the Liverpool side of the river. Day and night.

On the Bidston Dock; from what I have heard is that the dock was filled in so that a HGV parking facility could be built as part of the Twelve Quays but as you can see, nothing has happened. I also heard that the Penny Bridge outside of the Bidston Dock was to be taken out (as it crosses nothing now) and be moved to the Duke Street Bridge. This has also come to nothing. Maybe this was purely specualtion!
    Typical. Another attractive location disappears. Everywhere else in the country they are expaning waterways as they find them attractive. In Liverpool and Birkenhead they fill them in Also Port Sunlight is now filled in too. The water based heritage of Merseyside slowly errodes.

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    Yesterday it was No Dogs, No Blacks, and No Irish.

Today it is....No Working-class
    I don't know where you have got this from?
    I have never made any comments about either Blacks or Irish, and think Liverpool would benefit from being more diverse.

The issue of terrorism has nothing to do with race but simply with evil people.

As for the working class I think that the tiny 2 up 2 downs are too small for anyone to live in and life for the working class of whom I AM A MEMBER should be improved.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast