Thread: St Helens

Default St Helens

Notice there isn't one for my neck of the woods!
    A few piccies I took last year.

1 Carr Mill Dam with speedboat

2 Town Hall

3 World of Glass

4 Sankey Canal - England's First Canal of the Industrial Revolution. Renovated by Safeway now used by Tesco!

5 Lowe House RC Church

Last edited by Jim SH; 01-14-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: re doing photos!

Blog Entries

Nice photos Jim,thanks for sharing
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

John(Zappa)

Yup good pics them.

PhilipG

Hello Jim.
    I like St Helens.
    Here's the Town Hall at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Hello Jim.
    I like St Helens.
    Here's the Town Hall at Christmas.

Great pic Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim SH View Post
    Notice there isn't one for my neck of the woods!
    A few piccies I took last year.

4 Sankey Canal - England's First Canal of the Industrial Revolution. Renovated by Safeway now used by Tesco!
    ]

Hi Jim, is that the Hotties?

Oh and if it isn't are the Tropical Fish still alive after the factory closed down and stopped pumping in the hot water?

Lastly are the 'Raldo and (Ohh can't remember the name of the pub closest to it, it was a bikers hangout in the 70's 80's?) still going?

I used to frequent there way back when and had great times indeed!

Chezzers the Pub was ( well its nickname at least )
    Last edited by H_Asbo; 01-14-2008 at 06:54 PM.

good pics, I used to go fishing with my uncle at carr mill when i was a kid , it was more like drowning worms than fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Asbo View Post
    Hi Jim, is that the Hotties?

Oh and if it isn't are the Tropical Fish still alive after the factory closed down and stopped pumping in the hot water?

Lastly are the 'Raldo and (Ohh can't remember the name of the pub closest to it, it was a bikers hangout in the 70's 80's?) still going?

I used to frequent there way back when and had great times indeed!

Chezzers the Pub was ( well its nickname at least )

Hi Asbo

Indeed that is part of the Hotties. I know there are big carp in there now, maybe even a few tropical fish! The factory now forms part of The World of Glass complex and there is also a Hilton hotel on the other side.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sankey/sa31.htm

I remember the Geraldo very well, but maybe not for the reasons you remember it! I went to a few of the "Heavy" nights, but mainly on Wednesdays which was for Northern Soul! It became a Gym but now it's closed. As is the Exchange Vaults, otherwise known as Chessies. Now there was a pub with character!

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    good pics, I used to go fishing with my uncle at carr mill when i was a kid , it was more like drowning worms than fishing
    I know Carr Mill Dam very well indeed as I used to live just up the road. Could never quite get into the fishing though...it interfered with football!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim SH View Post
    Hi Asbo

Indeed that is part of the Hotties. I know there are big carp in there now, maybe even a few tropical fish! The factory now forms part of The World of Glass complex and there is also a Hilton hotel on the other side.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sankey/sa31.htm

I remember the Geraldo very well, but maybe not for the reasons you remember it! I went to a few of the "Heavy" nights, but mainly on Wednesdays which was for Northern Soul! It became a Gym but now it's closed. As is the Exchange Vaults, otherwise known as Chessies. Now there was a pub with character!
    Both closed thats really sad to hear, the Beatles played at Geraldo's ( but then again they seemed to play everywhere ) and Chessies had some lovely women in, I had many happy times in both places.

On the 'Raldo 'heavy' nights I always remember 2 beautiful sisters and for some reason they always wore black bin liners as dresses, they might have been twins, but if not they were close born, and the 2 of them were really stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Asbo View Post
    Both closed thats really sad to hear, the Beatles played at Geraldo's ( but then again they seemed to play everywhere ) and Chessies had some lovely women in, I had many happy times in both places.

On the 'Raldo 'heavy' nights I always remember 2 beautiful sisters and for some reason they always wore black bin liners as dresses, they might have been twins, but if not they were close born, and the 2 of them were really stunning!
    The Beatles played at the Plaza in March 1963, I'm pretty certain they never played the Geraldo. Pity you haven't got a picture of those twins!

I love st helens. Very friendly and quite a bit to do too. Love the market expecially, and car boot sales on a sunday are pretty impressive (are you getting the feeling that i like a bargain!).