Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can some help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    As far as I know and I'm all for being corrected,there was only two workhouses in liverpool one on brownlow hill which was huge and the other in Kirkdale.
    There were other establishments but these were mainly sanitoriums for the sick and poor health.
    http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server...&chapterId=786

Sefton General Hospital was originally part of Toxteth Park Workhouse, which was built in 1859 by the Toxteth Park Board of Guardians. In 1923 the workhouse changed its name to the Smithdown Road Institution. Then in 1930 the Poor Law was abolished and the hospital was taken over by Liverpool Corporation. Soon after, in 1933, its names was changed to Smithdown Road Infirmary.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    My great grandma died in Smithdown Road Hospital, but all it says on her death cert is 126 Smithdown Road.
    As we lived in Scotland and had no connections in the area we just assumed she had died in someones house. My nan mever talked about it because of the connection to it being a workhouse, Mum and I were upset to think she had kept it to herself all those years. She died in 1940.
    There was no need to be upset, as Smithdown Rd was not a workhouse by then. It was nothing to be upset about anyhow.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Donna, Ringo Starr was born in Smithdown Road Infirmary in July 1940.(126 Smithdown rd)
    Last edited by Hutch; 07-07-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: add a little bit

Hello to all, I'm still a bit of a newby here and playing catch up with old posts- Being born at Sefton General hospital and also going to Sefton Park Sec Mod Seniors over the way I'd like to add on a bit of input. Here is our family link to the hospital. My Father went down with two Navy ships, during the last war, Possibly in the North Atlantic, Sorry I don't know the names of those ships. He was rescued and was sent to Sefton General for treatment to his wounds. Here he met my Mam who was a young nurse there. They were married and had me in September '45. I was born at the Hospital.That month all the new babies received a mug and a scroll from the Lord mayor. We were called "Victory babies" We all lived at Lowther street in the beginning, possibly with an Uncle of mine. Then we moved to Deepfield Rd , off the Penny lane end Of Smithdown rd. my sister had been born by then. just before my Brother was born we moved to Garmoyle road, no 107. where I grew up and spent my teen years. I went to Lidderdale rd Infants school, then Dovedale rd Juniors. Failed the 11 plus and went on to Sefton Park seniors. My Mam had two more sons born at Garmoyle rd in the days of the visiting district Midwife. As we all got older our Mam went back to nursing at Sefton General. She studied and became a Sister tutor and taught many trainee nurses there.this was late 50's and through the 60's to early 70's before she retired. ( her name is Muriel Eaton ) My Mam now lives on the Isle Of Man at Peel. That's it, family biography over! many thanks for reading.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Donna, Ringo Starr was born in Smithdown Road Infirmary in July 1940.(126 Smithdown rd)
    Julian Lennon was born here too in the 60's, not sure of the date. John and Cynthia lived not far from me then on Garmoyle road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12