Thread: Liverpool the Musical – the Greatest Story Ever Told

Blog Entries

Exclamation Liverpool the Musical – the Greatest Story Ever Told

Liverpool the Musical – the Greatest Story Ever Told

Jan 12 2008 Liverpool Daily Post

Echo Arena

AFTER his performance last night on the roof of St George’s Hall, ex-Beatle Ringo Starr will tonight be singing on a rather different stage.

Liverpool the Musical – the Greatest Story Ever Told takes place at the 10,600 capacity Echo Arena with a cast of 700 people, including 100 schoolchildren.

Ringo, Echo and The Bunnymen, The Farm, The Wombats, Pete Wylie, and Vasily Petrenko will also be performing.

The event marks the official opening of the Echo Arena, Liverpool at Kings Dock.

Culture minister James Purnell visited Liverpool yesterday to wish the city well during its celebrations.

He said: “The city is really going through a renewal with millions of pounds coming into Liverpool and culture year has been the catalyst.

“Capital of Culture is showcase for the city and Britain on a world stage, it is incredibly important. It is not just an event for Liverpool, it so important for the rest of the country as it focuses global eyes on us.’’

Partygoers can enjoy drinks offers at several bars at Albert Dock and in the city centre after tonight’s opening show.

Daily Post
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Unhappy

Wish I was going now

I've got tickets,will update tomorrow on how it went.

I'm off the the concert tonight, and staying in the Radisson. Decided to have a weekend in my own city, as opposed to Easyjet trips

Blog Entries

Wish I was going to this one:

The festivities continue on Saturday evening with 'Liverpool - The Musical' at the 10,000 seater Echo Arena Liverpool.

Liverpool: The Musical will re-invent some of the classic songs that have made the city famous.

The show, which will tell the story of Liverpool its people, heritage and future, is being broadcast live on BBC Radio Merseyside 95.8FM Listen online from 6.30pm by clicking on the BBC Radio Merseyside 'Listen Live' link on the bottom right hand side of this page.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

So, how did it go?

Ringo was there again with Vassily Petrenko and the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, with No Fakin DJs, Valley Brass Band and the Liverpool Welsh Choir.

An eclectic mix of Liverpool talent was showcased, including hotly-tipped new band The Wombats, city legends Echo and the Bunnymen and blues singer Connie Lush. Also on stage were the former Christians frontman Gary Christian, The Farm, Pete Wylie, and Jenny John and the Sense of Sound choir with 100 local schoolchildren.

**This weekend kick-starts a programme of more than 350 events taking place over the year.

**Lets not forget, its still early doors in 2008. We've had a lot to be proud of already (2 out of 350 events).

More details here
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Steven

A brilliant evening Kev and it made me very proud of my city. A number of us joined in the link and sang along with the songs we knew, on YL.
    There was something for everybody, with rapping, classical, soul and r 'n b.
    Linda McDermott was a star inthe way she brought the concert to life for us with her vivid descriptions of what was happening.
    My brother managage to get to the arena bu I am forbidden to go out much until I see my doctor next week.
    Mike called into mine on his way home from the Echo Arena. He wanted a cuppa 'cos his throat was hoarse from all the singing.
    All in all, an excellent evening.

(I couldn't find the link you said at the bottom of the page but got on with :-)

www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool

Steven

Last nights pictures are being put out this morning via the same link.

I would have loved to have gone, but it was already sold out by the time I found out it was on

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. One of the most varied, interesting, funny, touching, pride inducing evenings I have ever attended.

I highly recommend getting the show on DVD if it comes out.

I really enojoyed it, as Steven said, something for everyone. The only way it could have been improved is if they had a narrative at some points as I didnt have a clue who some of the acts were. The programme had detailed the orderI believe, but Ic ouldnt be bothered carrying that round town all night afterwards.

Wish I could have been there. It sounded great on the radio and from all accounts.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I thought the show was good, and the arena excellent. The show started with a gang of 'workies' trying to fix the sign which said 'Liverpoo', this off course was a set up (see Pic attched). The evening was a 'warts and all' documentary of Liverpool's past, with one of the most powerful sequences relating to Thatcher's Britain in the 1980s. The show did lack a bit of narrative, and I would have liked to see some of the artists credited before or during their performance. I think Peter Hooton stole the show with 'All Together Now', which was followed by Ringo. The whole cast joined Ringo on the stage for the final song; John's 'Power to The People'. Pete Wylie wore a shinny silver suit that made his cowboy shirts look good! I had to do a double take, at first I thought it was Pete Price

We stayed at The Radisson, and saw Cathy Tyson and Mark & Joe McGann at breakfast. I also saw 'Sinbad' Michael Starke at the event.

Highlights of the show are on BBC2 tonight after Match of The Day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	4826  
    Last edited by The Gardens; 01-13-2008 at 09:43 PM.