Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tribeca [Great George Street Project]

Default Tribeca [Great George Street Project]

Planning permission has been granted for a project by Alison Brooks Architects — part of a scheme by Urban Splash believed to be Liverpool’s biggest-ever residential development.

ABA’s 93-apartment, sand-stone-clad scheme is the first phase of the 740-home Great George Street project — a new quarter intended to serve as a southern gateway into the city, which this month celebrates becoming 2008 European Capital of Culture.

A second phase, clad in pink, is being designed by Shed KM (to right of picture) and a third by 2006 Yaya winner Querkraft.

“We’ve designed a point building, an optimistic beacon that signals the start of the new urban quarter,” said practice director Alison Brooks.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...0000000142981a

That Monarch building looks a bit out of place there but glad they're keeping it. Might have looked better if the place to the left of it was lower than it so it was stepped down into the bend.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    That Monarch building looks a bit out of place there but glad they're keeping it. Might have looked better if the place to the left of it was lower than it so it was stepped down into the bend.
    My uncle used to have an antique shop, pretty much were the photo is taken from. The old buidling in the middle was were he banked - Barclays I think it was.

Cadfael

What an ugly mess. I'm sure it'll fit in well with Liverpool Cathedral on one side and St James' Church on the other side.

Wonder how much LCC was given in a brown envelope for this?

Yeah, that tall being might be a bit too tall for that area and why does it have an aeroplane going through it?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

DaisyChains

I'm sorry but that is appalling.

More apartments???????????????

How original!

Just to think they knocked the David Lewis building down in the same sort of vicinity, and now we are getting this sort of rubbish.

It's clad in sandstone it should look good.We need more apartments to have a bustling city centre,maybe one day we'll be a 24 hour city and this is the only way to achieve that.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Its a shame that the last century saw all those quaint Georgian townhouses cleared around the lower slopes of the Anglican Cathedral. Thats what we should see; a nice mixture of new and old. Although we are sort of getting the same effect here; I doubt pink buildings are what we want. Salford might though; they seem to like pink at the moment!

Will this add to the Chinatown area??? It does need a little bit of TLC I am sure you will all admit?
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

I think this is a good development and one that will really help this area. A lot of the new housing being built is housing association and so will be aimed at people who couldn't normally afford to live in these sorts of development. It will also aid the redevelopment of chinatown as an increase in population that has to walk through china town to get into town can only encourage more business to open in the area to capture the local and passing trade.
    The scale of the buildings is also spot on. The only problem is that they should be looking across a park that rises up to the Anglican cathedral insttead of the nasty 80s student housing that is inbetween the site and the cathedral now

Can't say I like them at all ! and more apartments? If you go down the road a bit new places are still empty from last year!! Are these so called architecs just getting out of college or something? I mean, a load of primary shool kids would draw somethinmg like those?? Decent houses, with gardens!! Well that's my rant for today, oh and I'm not Irish, or don't think I am, lovely people though.

Another section of flats, near the 'Blackie', are getting demolished at the moment.

Blog Entries

£100m plan to revive rundown area and create new city gateway

Feb 14 2008 by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

DEVELOPER Urban Splash will today unveil plans for the biggest housing scheme ever to be created in Liverpool by a single developer.

The £100m redevelopment of Great George Street, next to the Anglican Cathedral, will create a striking new gateway to the city, incorporating shops, businesses, a hotel, and 740 apartments and houses.

The Liverpool office of Urban Splash is behind the project on the five-acre site, which has been named Tribeca.

It will take eight years to complete in six phases, and incorporate the efforts of at least three architects’ practices.

The first phase of 141 apart-ments, 36 of which will be shared ownership, and 10 social houses for displaced residents, will begin by late spring.

Simon Humphreys, develop-ment director at Urban Splash’s Liverpool office, said: “Our vision is to make Great George Street a residential thriving commercial street again, and give it a proper identity as a gateway to the city.”

It is hoped that every space along the street at ground level – from the already established Wedding House at one end, to the Blackie at the other – will be given over to retail and business oppor-tunities. Planning permission for a hotel has already been approved.

For residents of the 20 social houses and the one, two and three-bedroomed apartments targeted at first-time buyers, there will be underground parking, private balconies and use of a one-acre private “pocket park”.

It is Urban Splash’s biggest investment in Liverpool to date, and is thought to be the biggest residential scheme ever under-taken in the city by one developer.

Mr Humphreys said: “City centre flats get a bad press, but we always believed that if it is the right type of apartment and right kind of quality, it will sell.

“All those perceived downsides to living in the city centre won’t be here. The whole package will make it a success. We invest in our architecture, we want them to be exciting places to live, and if we get it right, people will be queuing up to live here.”

Residents on the site have been involved in each stage of the development, meeting with archi-tects and choosing their favourite features for their new homes.

Mr Humphreys said: “Those people who are being moved out of their homes are being provided with something far superior and have been involved. They have all taken ownership and know exact-ly where they are going to live.

“It is not often an opportunity like this arrives to really make a difference in one area of a city. It is not change for change’s sake, we are taking what is not working and replacing it to improve the area in a way that will definitely be to the betterment of the city.”

Mark Sidebotham, director of Liverpool architects Shed KM, which is involved in the scheme, said: “The masterplan was all about trying to create some good- quality space – with a private garden, good, natural light and views, and a balcony that people can actually use – that will have more of an attraction for people to come and live in the city centre.”

Alison Brooks Architects was inspired by the cathedral for its input into the scheme.

Ms Brooks said: “We wanted to re-interpret the Neo-Gothic Victor-ian architecture in this area of the city and take it a step further.

“We’re really excited about par-ticipating in creating a new urban neighbourhood with the scale and density and architectural quality that puts it on a par with the great boulevards of Continental cities.

“The aim is to extend the centre of the city to the south so the area becomes a gateway into Liverpool, and a destination in itself.”

Riverside ward councillor Steve Munby, a member of the Liverpool Partnership who has pushed for the scheme, said: “Great George Street is a key entrance to the city and it’s pretty disgusting. The res-idents’ general verdict was any-thing is better than what we have got at the moment. It is desperate.

“It is a fantastic scheme and Urban Splash have done a great job. I’ve been one of the sternest critics on unwanted flats, but they are helping fund social housing for local residents and are not just coming in to rip off the city. I think it’s going to bring this part of the city back to life. I’m proud we have managed to achieve it.”

Urban Splash, in conjunction with industry journal the AJ, is today launching a competition to find a young architect under 35 to design Tribeca’s sales office, which will also be on site.

vickyanderson
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

DaisyChains

I hope they do keep up the theory of giving people balconies they can use.
    Alot of the balconies where I live are for show. What's the point in that?
    Also, they mention gardens, this would be great. But I fear it will be only for the houses and not the apartments.
    Green spaces are ok to look at, but there is no point.
    I wish developers would build more actual houses.
    I can't afford to buy a house at all and so there is no chance of me getting a garden at all.

Blog Entries

Here's a panoramic view of the whole Great George Street area:

Viewing of the larger version [too big for the forum] is recommended! Click here.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I visited Liverpool briefly last November, for the first time in twenty years or so.

Apart from the developers appearing to have succeeded where the Luftwaffe failed, the sad thing to me was that, in most of the new development, it looked just like every other city centre. I could have been anywhere. I walked down Duke Street, and all those characterful warehouses and merchant's houses were still derelict, and many had been cleared and replaced by anonymous red brick and glass boxes.

I think perhaps we should lock up all the architects in an asylum somewhere and give them a kiddies construction kit, and leave design to someone who knows what a home should look like.

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast