Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Castle

This is somethink i only just saw today while at croxteth hall i seen a photo that there was a liverpool castle! So im just searching for it!

1 question came to my head, and it was Were about in Liverpool NOW days was the Liverpool Castle at if known?...

Were was it actually at? which part of the city? also in th 1680 Liverpool looked so so small god years go fast dont they.

Blog Entries

Look back at this thread
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by leelad05 View Post
    This is somethink i only just saw today while at croxteth hall i seen a photo that there was a liverpool castle! So im just searching for it!

1 question came to my head, and it was Were about in Liverpool NOW days was the Liverpool Castle at if known?...

Were was it actually at? which part of the city? also in th 1680 Liverpool looked so so small god years go fast dont they.
    Hi leelad05

Liverpool Castle was situated on the site of the Victoria Monument in Derby Square. There is a plaque on the monument if you look for it. I understand that the rock-cut moat was found during the building of the bank at the corner of James Street and Castle Street. See the Victoria County History site and Mike Royden's History site.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Are not somes rest of the Castle?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Are not somes rest of the Castle?
    There's nothing left above ground, but parts of the moat have been incorporated into basements (at least into one building, a bank), and it's possible that fragments of the foundations might remain.

The present site of the Castle is somewhat nearer to Castle Street than the Law Courts.

From the information I have read, the North Wall of the Castle was roughly in line with the South side of James Street and The Goose Pub. This is evident if you remember that the Castle and turret would have been visible from the bottom of Lord Street.

Also, the excavations of the Moat took place upon the building of the Stone Bank building on Derby Square, the one next to the old Trials Hotel. ( I forget the actual banks name ), it was this bank that I think incorporated some of the moats features as a vault.

Also, the Moat has been said to have been 20 yards wide, which would have taken up the same width as James street.

If you take into account that this whole area was raised on a plateau, the top of Moor Street - which is the Street behind and parallel to James Street Station - began very near the Castle entrance over the Moat.

If you walk up Moor Street and cross over Fenwick Street, there is actually a very small street ( or close ) called Castle Hill. This I think is very near, the entrance to Liverpool Castle was as shown on the Castle diagram above.
    Last edited by goldenface; 04-20-2007 at 12:50 PM.

PhilipG

The site of the Castle is known.
    As Chris says it was on the site of the Victoria Memorial, which was built on the site of St George's Church, which was built on the site of the Castle.
    With the moat surrounding the castle, it would be further away, as stated.
    That bank was the North & South Wales bank (built 1838-40) and the building is called Castle Moat House.
    Castle Hill is at the back of this building.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-20-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Smile

Yeah I know it was on the site of the Victoria Monument, I was just trying to pinpoint the entrance to the castle as denoted by 'a' on the 19th century plan of Liverpool Castle on page one of this thread.
    Last edited by goldenface; 04-20-2007 at 01:22 PM.

The Castle apparently is a replica of and has the same footprint as Harlech Castle. Source: English Heritage Society.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    There's nothing left above ground, but parts of the moat have been incorporated into basements (at least into one building, a bank), and it's possible that fragments of the foundations might remain.
    Thanks Phillip! It´s an interesting post!

wow this is just so amazing!

I would have to take a walk around james street then and think that liverpool castle was actually there

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Waterways

My point is that from those views you don't get the inside details of what the castle looked like, you only see it from a distance and usually from the water. This is why one of the references on the castle is entitled, E.W. Cox, 1892, 'An Attempt to Recover the Plans of the Castle of Liverpool from Authentic records; Considered in Connection with Medieval Principles of Defence and Construction,' Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society Vol42 p195-254 [map, plans, diag]

Mr Cox's investigation resulted in the conjectural detailed drawing seen at the top of Mike Royden's page on the castle http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/mrlhp/local/castle/castle.htm

I see there was a replica of what they thought the castle looked like built at Rivington. See http://www.bolton.org.uk/rivington.html

Chris
    E W Cox's article is very interesting for the material it reproduces, but his reconstruction of the whole castle (shown in the colour perspective aerial-view, and accompanied in the article by floor plans and elevations) is impossibly detailed given how little information survived, and how contradictory much of the information is. There was a model based on this reconstruction at Croxteth Hall in the early 1980s, and Cox's work was the basis of the reconstruction at Rivington built c.1910-1920 at the expense of Lord "Port Sunlight" Leverhulme (the replica is a full-size, not scaled-down, recreation, but was never finished because of Leverhulme's death and is rather prone to vandalism, but it's well worth making the trip out to Bolton to see)

Gareth

Taken from Victoria County History of the County of Lancaster, Vol 4:

A rock-cut passage still runs under James Street, from somewhere near the position of the castle, towards the river. It was entered and examined in May 1862 by Mr. P. M. Coogan (Rep. in vol. 2, p. 132 of the Misc. Rep. in the City Engineer's Office), and a plan and sections were made, showing that it varied in height and width, averaging about 8 ft. in height, and has in its floor on the south side a channel, which, when lately sounded on the suggestion of Mr. Robert Gladstone, junr., has proved to be as much as 7 ft. 6 in. deep. It was again examined by the city engineer in 1908, and a new plan made. That it had some connexion with the ditch of the castle seems possible, and its depth is said to be sufficient to allow the river water to reach the ditch at high water

From: 'Liverpool: The castle and development of the town', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4 (1911), pp. 4-36. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...p?compid=41370. Date accessed: 24 July 2007.

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast