Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Capital of Culture Opening 300m eyes on Liverpool

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...8#post17642568

Some 08 shots by Kennyrouge are posted.

I definately applaud him for getting shots due to how hard It was to get any.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

I'm sorry but tonight was a total nightmare, a dangerous nightmare, from start to finish.

Firstly, despite the fact that the 25,000+ people attending the concert have been told all week "let the train take the strain" - it seems the actual management of the City Line trains weren't listening.

I headed into town at about 6pm on a two coach train that, even by the time it'd reached the station I got on at (miles away from Lime Street) was dangerously overcrowded. So much so in fact that ours was the last station the crew allowed people onto the train.

We stopped at 6 or 7 totally packed out stations and didn't allow a single person onto the train. I spoke to the young lady guard on the train who told me that the trains had been packed since about 2pm, but that none were larger carriages/more coaches etc beacause the train company hadn't planned for the event.

Terrible.

Then we get to the actual event itself.

I'd like to write what I thought of the actual event but sadly I didn't see any of it.

We left Lime Street and walked around the front of the station, at road level and found a nice spot, along the wall below the shops, not too far along so as to avoid the main throng.

Slowly the crowd started to build which was exciting at first. Then things started getting a little more serious. People were getting pushed over and crushed by the sheer numbers of people trying to make their way towards centre stage. Then, about about 1940, everyone came to a total standstill - and no-one could move, even though more and more people were pouring into the crowd.

There wasn't a steward or a police officer in sight - anywhere - and absolutely no crowd control/safety.

The final straw was a bloke who basically pushed people over, and then stood on them as he marauded his way along the road, swearing about people with kids and generally being a total tool. He tried to maraud past me and met a rather solid fist of mine which accidentally seemed to hit his ribs to much applause from the people around me. He soon stopped.

However, the people were still being crammed onto Lime Street, kids around where I was were crying and panicing, and things started to get badly out of hand. So I made my move back towards Lime Street, as politely as possible, followed by about 3 women with their kids and a couple of pensioners, all of whom were upset and scared, and using me as a kind of battering ram - I was glad to help.

The crush extended to Skelhorne Street where our escape from it was blocked, amazingly, by an immovable metal fence erected for the evening. Still no stewards or any form of crowd control.

Now I realise a lot of people were expected for this event, but surely some sort of risk assesment, or even crowd control should have been in place, somewhere?

I also realise that people may say I'm being negative, and shallow, and moaning, that I'm a disgrace to Liverpool and I'm talking out of me bum.

But trust me, I know a little bit about event management and crowd control - the situation today was absolutely stupid.

And extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Of The Timelords View Post
    I'm sorry but tonight was a total nightmare, a dangerous nightmare, from start to finish.
    Well said LotT. I also see they closed Lime Street at the end of the event! I also noticed the Central Station was mobbed as well and the police where not allowing people into the station.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Oh yeah I saw Lime Street locking certain entrances which seemed stupid and dangerous considering the size of the crowds, It would help to leave them open.

I;m pleased and jealous you got to smack some nutter mate.

There was more stewards guiding cars than looking after the crowds I agree with you.

Anyone who says your a disgrace is a sissy hippy anyway which means there thoughts are Invalid.

The manners on families were horrible and what was with them to bring prams? Some were swearing and shouting there babies where having panic attacks.

To let off some steam I made a thread on another forum I visit questioning Ringo Starr's morality.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I;m pleased and jealous you got to smack some nutter mate.
    An accident of course. Ahem.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The event is live on BBC News 24
    I was lead to believe this, only to find that they would occasionally hop back to Liverpool in-between reports and interviews concerning all things politics. However interesting and enthralling current affairs are, If I am told that the opening event is to be shown on News 24, I expect it to be shown on news 24. Not small snippits! BBCi didnt have the event coverage either.

If anyone recalls correctly, the home comming of LFC saw practically uninterrupted coverage along most of the route of the tour.

Radio Merseyside had reasonably good commentary; obviously not as good as being there and seeing it for yourself.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Lol.

I know this sounds ego like but I was suprised how much I stood out in some of the crowd, I expected to see alot more taller people.

I'm still feeling the squashed feeling now.

People were drinking alcohol on the streets too which Is illegal and can't people do without a ciggy In big crowds?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuFgM...eature=related

He still can't escape talking like he Is still narrating Thomas The Tank Engine.

I hope many more forget about him like he pretends to say.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

A quick video of the crowds -
    Lime Street 11th January 2008.

Last edited by A.D.W; 01-12-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    However interesting and enthralling current affairs are, If I am told that the opening event is to be shown on News 24, I expect it to be shown on news 24. Not small snippits! BBCi didnt have the event coverage either.
    On the BBC1 lunchtime news yesterday they said at the half way point where they do a trailer for the local news that News 24 would not be carrying it for 'contractual reasons' but the story wasn't on when they did the local news proper at the end of the broadcast.

This might be something to do with the compromise

Wow.. It sure sounds like it was a nightmare how your posts all have read.. Thats crazy about bringing babies and prams to such an event.. Just outrageous!
    Max.. you have made me laugh with some of your posts..especially the Ringo interview.. He did look rediculous.. and in another interview Kev posted.. all he could say..was HE didn't live there anymore.. Like it was beneath him.. So boo hoo to him...
    But, please Max.. LOL...NOT all Americans are fat.. maybe the alcohol there contributes to the people being. FAT.. LOL..Thats' a whole other subject.. lack of exercise maybe? LOL...
    Anyway, Everyone who even ventured to view this historic event... JUST remember.. YA ONLY LIVE ONCE.. and so does 08... So thanks from around the world to ya, for showing us some Liverpool.... ALOHA.... and PEACE...
    Last edited by naked lilac; 01-12-2008 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuFgM...eature=related

He still can't escape talking like he Is still narrating Thomas The Tank Engine.

I hope many more forget about him like he pretends to say.
    A bit cynical there, young Max. Thanks for the YouTube link which got me to the associated videos with his "Liverpool 08" single. I'll be getting the CD tonight as part of my birthday gifts -- my wife Donna and my Mum are going to Tio Pepe's Spanish restaurant near where my Mum lives and I will be opening me gifts there.

Hope the concert at the new stadium goes well tonight.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Spectacular Capital of Culture show launches Liverpool on world stage

Jan 12 2008 by Samantha Parker, Liverpool Daily Post

Capital of culture opening

IT’S official, our Capital of Culture year is here – and what a way for it to begin. An estimated 50,000 people flooded St George’s Plateau last night for the spectacular 40-minute opening event which included acrobats, choirs, school children and of course, Ringo Starr.

The night started with a countdown from 30 to zero when 2008 exploded above St George’s Hall in fire writing.

There were laughs from the crowd when the MC cried: “This is the moment when the Big Dig became the Big Gig.”

Daring acrobats flew through the air attached by cable to a 150ft crane as a container labelled “precious cargo” transported the Mayor of Liverpool, Cllr Paul Clark, and other famous Liverpool faces including Heidi Range from the Sugababes, The Farm, Marc Almond, and Liz McClarnon from Atomic Kitten.

The showpiece was projected from all around St George’s plateau with performers air-guitaring and drumming from a fantastic stage comprising the top of St George’s Hall, the Empire Theatre and a sole guitarist braving the dizzy heights of the Radio City tower.

Ringo joined in with a solo drum piece to great cheers from the crowds below.

Two giant projection screens depicted the history and achievements of the city, aided by abseilers who had the audience captivated.

The night was illuminated with fireworks let off throughtout the performance on all sides.

Up and coming Liverpool band The Wombats sang their new single “Moving To New York” - but Liverpool was undoubtedly the place people wanted to be last night.

The evening was rounded off with Ringo and Dave Stewart singing his nostalgic new single, Liverpool 8.

Cllr Warren Bradley, the leader of Liverpool council, said: “Tonight was a fabulous opening.

“What a great way to kick start the year long programme of more than 350 Capital of Culture events.

“There is a great buzz about Liverpool and I think tonight reflected that.

“Ringo appearing was a tremendous coup and you could tell he went down a storm with the crowd.

“There has also been a worldwide global audience of millions, with TV cameras sending out a powerful, positive message about our amazing city.”

Martin King, director of tourism at The Mersey Partnership, said: “We’ve arrived! Capital of Culture 2008 is well and truly underway. Nowhere in the world can offer what we can in the coming year – and very, very few cities in the world could put on a show like tonight’s to get it all going.

“It’s been a fantastic night for the city and region, and it is just the start.

“Liverpool is really ready to welcome the rest of the world.”

The vast majoprity of the crowd seemed delighted with the opening.

Linda Karey, 43, from Allerton, said: “I thought it was really good. Ringo was good and I liked the Wombats’ performance also. I liked the animation bit on the big screen and I liked the use of the buildings with the fireworks and the guitarists on the top. It was exciting.”

Beverley Lloyd, 40, of Ellesmere Port said: “I would have given it 11 out of 10. It was that good. I liked the guitarists. But the event should have gone on longer and they should have played some Beatles songs like Penny Lane because everyone would have started to sing along.”

Her mother Margaret added: “I think it will make lots of people come to Liverpool. You did not know where to look. It was amazing.”

Claire Tunstall, 36, from Prenton said: “I liked the bit with the children holding the lit up boxes and walking around. Children are a big part of the Capital of Culture because it’s giving them a chance.”

Ray Morris, 46, of Birkenhead, said: “It was fantastic. Great. It was exciting because it showed the city off and the performances were really good. But I thought it was a bit short and it should have gone on a lot longer.”

Some disappointed revellers were however unable to get to St George’s Plateau as packed trains and buses struggled to handle the crowds.

But a spokesman for Merseyrail said: “From 6pm onwards it started to get real busy and after 7pm they were really full, but we controlled it.” Just three arrests were made for public order offences.

Liverpool Daily Post/ Echo

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Ringo Starr talks to the Daily Post

‘I’M NOT on holiday – I’m here to play the drums and sing. My message to Liverpool is support Capital of Culture – get out there and give it all you’ve got. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

heres the Echo's video of the opening

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/videos-pictures/videos/
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

PhilipG

I was waiting to see if anybody else posted pics, because mine aren't very good.
    They're all hand held, over people's heads, so there's loads of camera shake.
    Unfortunately the camera broke down half way through!

Last edited by PhilipG; 01-12-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast