Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Capital of Culture Opening 300m eyes on Liverpool

kev - im sorry, i dont follow your logic there....

i went to see the wombats and ringo play live. ringo sang live (unfortunately) and the wombats mimed, as did ringo when he was playing the drums at the start of the event - from what i could tell. i'd love to stand corrected, but people seem to be agreeing with me....
    Last edited by mimng; 01-12-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't have been that disappointed had I went myself. The point of the event was to launch the Capital of Culture year, we've still got 11 months to showcase Liverpool's live musical talents.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Talking

I personally thought it was truly spectacular. The lighting, the interaction with the screens and the use of the cranes was truly amazing. It had everything you could want in an opening ceremony, and it's important to remember that it was an opening ceremony, not a concert.
    The concert is at the arena tonight. There was alot of people there and at times it was very hard to move, but it was nothing to be overly worried about. I wish people would stop moaning and stop trying to find something negative with everything that is done, just enjoy yourselves!
    It was fantastic and a truly amazing opening for 2008. I applaud everyone who was involved in organising it, and hope to see more of this over the coming year. Happy 2008!
    Last edited by AK1; 01-12-2008 at 04:05 PM.

oh right...so you can defend the event you didnt even see...

lets hope they dont all mime for the rest of the year. thousands of musical events would have happened in the city this year even if liverpool had never won the capital of culture because MONEY IS NOT CULTURE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I personally thought it was truly spectacular. The lighting, the interaction with the screens and the use of the cranes was truly amazing. It had everything you could want in an opening ceremony, and it's important to remember that it was an opening ceremony, not a concert.
    The concert is at the arena tonight. There was alot of people there and at times it was very hard to move, but it was nothing to be overly worried about. I wish people would stop moaning and stop trying to find something negative with everything that is done, just enjoy yourselves!
    It was fantastic and a truly amazing opening for 2008. I applaud everyone who was involved in organising it, and hope to see more of this over the coming year. Happy 2008!
    That's how I felt about it AK1. I found it to be spectacular, dramatic and interesting - you didn't know what was going to happen next.

Very good I don't regret going at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mimng View Post
    oh right...so you can defend the event you didnt even see...
    For me its much more important than a band singing live.

lets hope they dont all mime for the rest of the year. thousands of musical events would have happened in the city this year even if liverpool had never won the capital of culture because MONEY IS NOT CULTURE!!!!!!
    Honestly? Have you always been interested in Liverpool, or just in 2008?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thumbs down

no. our taxes paid for it.
    Firstly, per person it will have cost us practically nothing, and secondly it was money well spent!
    What are they supposed to do?, not have any events at all because it might cost the taxpayers some money. What a truly selfish and nieve comment.

its not a naive comment. someone said it was free, but of course it wasnt, nothing ever is. cost per person is low?? £100m just on the celebrations for the year, according to the Daily Post. And this from the Guardian, 9 Jan 2008:

" The city council has identified a budget gap of about £20m for the next year: a result of hosting the capital of culture. With council tax increases capped at 5%, the council will be forced to borrow money, sell off council land, refinance assets, or use up most of its financial reserves to raise the funds. Do Liverpudlians have a right to feel aggrieved about the inevitable council tax hikes, seeing as payoffs to senior executives have been costly?"

if you take my comments in the wider context (ie capital of culture is about lining rich people's pockets and not investing in culture) then i believe it is big business that is selfish in this city, and nationwide. the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and this whole capitalism of culture is a microcosm of that.

but why am i so annoyed about acts miming? because this is supposed be about CULTURE and we were forced to listen to a CD playing, and musicians delivering fake performances. if you cant understand that that is selling culture short, then I cannot understand how you can understand culture at all.

PhilipG

mimng, or is it John?
    You talk about honesty.
    Why can't YOU be honest enough to post in your usual name, rather than inventing one just to have a go at last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    In case u want it one more time Paul....

...ringos new single:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=3699447n
    Kev.. ta for that video.. I loved the song.. very nice lyrics.. and well.. I quess the lyrics say it all about HIS life.. What an Icon.. and YES.. he has given back to the City 100%.. Too bad Paul didn't join him in this commemoration.. Well.. JOLLY GOOD... yeah yeah yeah.. LIVERPOOL

John(Zappa)

kev - im sorry, i dont follow your logic there....

i went to see the wombats and ringo play live. ringo sang live (unfortunately) and the wombats mimed, as did ringo when he was playing the drums at the start of the event - from what i could tell. i'd love to stand corrected, but people seem to be agreeing with me....
    I agree with you.
    Some people will accept anything.Even miming and kidding the audience.
    By the way,lots of freebies was had by most of the staff!!!!

where are the 300million people who watched it situated, there is absolutely no coverage of it down here and the only link i can find is this article that appeared in the NZ herald , our largest paper on December the 4th

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/15...ectid=10480195

sometimes numbers get way exagerated to help the hype, they do it down here every time the rugby world cup is on by stating it's the 3rd largest sporting event in the world

Shoney.. I tried to locate it on TV here too..was suppose to be showing.. but, for the life of me..I couldn't find it.. CBS or ABC or ??? Well, YO and its people have brought at least the real thing to life.. and Thanks from me.. Hopefully somewhere in the later news tonight.. it will be shown.. I will keep posted.. aloha...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ag1MgtHzEqI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ag1MgtHzEqI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Found a video done by CBS of Ringos 08 performance on you tube. Unfortunatly I am unable to put the link to it on here.

So the best thing to do is go to You Tube, search under Ringo Starr Liverpool 08 and you should see the video near the top

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast