Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Capital of Culture Opening 300m eyes on Liverpool

curious to know what the 300 events are , do they have any direct interest with the people who are the culture of liverpool, i've asked around and don't seem to get a direct answer, i'm not interested in sculpture, theatre etc, i am interested in history of places, industry,the port, the city, the people of previous eras, the hardship and the good times etc..where i come from and where i'm going, which is my culture

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    curious to know what the 300 events are
    See Liverpool 2008 Programme Download (755.3KB .pdf).

thanks for that, looks like 10% interesting stuff and the remaining stuff is a 50/50 split of ****e mixed with hangers on looking for a grant because no-one is really interested in their work, thats only my opinion though, I like what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Ged, but with the council tax collection in the red by £25million, another £20million to find for Capital of Culture, and 1,400 equal pay claims to be lodged against the authority, I fear that the legacy of 2008 will be further cuts to the services for the most vulnerable in our community.
    But not all attributable to CoC - only the 20million shortfall which ok in itself isn't ideal (how much per head? in relation to what may be achieved in the long run)

This could be wiped out in one foul swoop by the chap who wants the land to regenerate the Edge Lane site and kill 2 birds with one stone if it so bothers anyone that much.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    This could be wiped out in one foul swoop by the chap who wants the land to regenerate the Edge Lane site and kill 2 birds with one stone if it so bothers anyone that much.
    He's playing games Ged. Even this Council won't fall for that stunt.

I just hope equal emphasis is now given in the coming years on giving people in the suburbs housing and amenities they deserve but it always has to start with the centre and work outwards. People in jobs are people off the dole with local council coffers therefore swelled instead of having to find money to to build housing for people already not paying into the system. The council money has to be attributed to the areas where it is now most needed. That can be the true legacy.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    He's playing games Ged. Even this Council won't fall for that stunt.
    I tried saying "Even this Council won't fall for that stunt."

Very fast 7 times >

Try it yourself and see what happens.

True tho!

I have to agree with Howie that what Larry Neild says is important.

What kind of regeneration do we want? Lots of jobs in the regeneration industry, flash in the pan property speculation?

What we've got is a council that is so weak and discredited that people like the Edge Lane guy think they can be bounced into making decisions to their advantage. It's public now so they wouldn't get away with it but it shows you the problem.

Serious inward investors aren't stupid. When they look at the city it won't surprise them if a Labour leader is a bit Left wing and that an opposition opposes, that happens everywhere and so it should. But it will bother them that the city's finances and procedures are a mess and that the council are in that hole and still digging .

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I also can't believe that someone so vociferous didn't know the plans for the new park with water features and public areas when visions for it are on practically every forum of this kind in Liverpool.
    and just to quote myself:

i would love to stand corrected on any of the above points.

i dont know everything about the capital of culture. i'm glad chavasse park is still gonna be there in some form. it doenst take away from my point about the unneccessary shopping centre that will be next door, of course.

ps does anyone know what the plans are for st johns once the new shopping mall is open? are they gonna level it and build a nice park???

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    I have to agree with Howie that what Larry Neild says is important.

What kind of regeneration do we want? Lots of jobs in the regeneration industry, flash in the pan property speculation?
    agreed!

lets also remember that us 'moaners' are part of the process's natural checks and balances that keep the 'planners' in line, and force them to justify themselves. the 'moaners about the moaners' seem to me to just be people that won't accept that others can have different viewpoints from the official party line.

(oops...think i've just become a 'moaner about the moaners about the moaners'!)

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by mimng View Post
    agreed!

lets also remember that us 'moaners' are part of the process's natural checks and balances that keep the 'planners' in line, and force them to justify themselves. the 'moaners about the moaners' seem to me to just be people that won't accept that others can have different viewpoints from the official party line.

(oops...think i've just become a 'moaner about the moaners about the moaners'!)
    You have become noted for it. You are as welcome as a fart in a space-suit by myself and my 'imaginary friends.'

Hello mimng. St. John's is getting a revamp too to hopefully bring it into the 21st century. We also have to remember that the Grosvenor development (L1) is nothing to do with CoC, was happening anyway and is all private investment, itself showing confidence in the city. Manchester have boasted about and lived for years on the fact they Have a Harvey Nichols and the new Arndale (because of the IRA Bomb) and the Trafford Centre have been their glory talking points just lately - which together with the MEN arena took scouse £ssss 30 odd miles up the road.

Here's the St. John's precinct link - most of what you're asking about can be searched for on here

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ighlight=johns

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast