Thread: “Be My Guest” sofa

Blog Entries

Default “Be My Guest” sofa

Sofa-so-good for Phil Redmond?

Jan 9 2008 by Samantha Parker, Liverpool Daily Post

MEMORIES old and new were shared yesterday as the Capital of Culture “Be My Guest” sofa toured south Liverpool.

The concept is the brainchild of arts organisation Encounters.

Phil Redmond, creative director of the Liverpool 2008 programme, joined shoppers at Tesco’s in Woolton Village to share his memories of growing up in Huyton.

He said: “I fully support this project, it is an interesting idea which brings people together and brings culture back to the grass roots. Anything that encourages people to sit down and have a chat is a good thing. Bringing culture to the communities is important.

“When you sit back you are presented with options and can listen to people’s memories from last year when the sofa was last on the road.

“It made me think back to when I was younger growing up Huyton when it was freezing in the winter. I had a path from my bedroom to the kitchen which involved avoiding the cold slabs on the floor. It is nice to reminisce while taking the weight off your feet.”

After the day-long tour the stories are going to be collated into a play performed by a professional local actor.

The one-man show will then tour homes and community centres in April. The finale will take place on European Neighbours Day in May.

Daily Post
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Sofa-so-good for Phil Redmond?

Jan 9 2008 by Samantha Parker, Liverpool Daily Post

MEMORIES old and new were shared yesterday as the Capital of Culture “Be My Guest” sofa toured south Liverpool.

The concept is the brainchild of arts organisation Encounters.

Phil Redmond, creative director of the Liverpool 2008 programme, joined shoppers at Tesco’s in Woolton Village to share his memories of growing up in Huyton.

He said: “I fully support this project, it is an interesting idea which brings people together and brings culture back to the grass roots. Anything that encourages people to sit down and have a chat is a good thing. Bringing culture to the communities is important.

“When you sit back you are presented with options and can listen to people’s memories from last year when the sofa was last on the road.

“It made me think back to when I was younger growing up Huyton when it was freezing in the winter. I had a path from my bedroom to the kitchen which involved avoiding the cold slabs on the floor. It is nice to reminisce while taking the weight off your feet.”

After the day-long tour the stories are going to be collated into a play performed by a professional local actor.

The one-man show will then tour homes and community centres in April. The finale will take place on European Neighbours Day in May.

Daily Post
    Sounds good. I seen Phil Redmond on the couch on Granada Reports tonight.