Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Banksy Rat [Berry Street]

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    I thought it was a cat too! But I agree that Banksy's work is supposed to temporary by its very nature and that building is an eyesore. I always feel embarrassed when I drive past it with tourists. But this wrapping should have been done long before. I've been at a Culture Company meeting and there's many more buildings they're planning to wrap in this "wrapping paper" including all the Lime Street ones in front of the station, some in Williamson Square and (not sure I agree with this one) the Port of Liverpool Building. I deffo think we need a thread on here with pics of the city as she is "wrapped." Perhaps the wrapping will become an attraction in its own right? Mmm I can feel a guided tour coming on!
    Julie
    Hello Julie

I was in the city in 2003 when St. George's Hall, while undergoing renovation, was "wrapped" with the graphic of John Lennon as the Mona Lisa and some prankster cut out Lennon's eye. I wrote a poem about it, "John Lennon's Eye". I suggest that this "wrapping" is a bit too transparent and obvious, although I suppose it serves the purpose of hiding something temporarily.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I don't mind being corrected - Christ no-one is infallible. Mind, I'm not a green badge guide.
    Never thought it had any Chinese connection - how strange someone thought that. Now I know it's by Banksie I'll point it out - or rather I would if it weren't under the council's best wrapping paper!

I don't mind being corrected - Christ no-one is infallible. Mind, I'm not a green badge guide.
    Never thought it had any Chinese connection - how strange someone thought that. Now I know it's by Banksie I'll point it out - or rather I would if it weren't under the council's best wrapping paper!
    Hi Julie

I lead tours myself of War of 1812 sites around Baltimore, about which I have written a book. While I would hope that what I say is factual, I do stand to be corrected. There are a several details in my book, which came out in 2000, which I have been informed may not be correct and I am now in a better position to give a (hopefully) more factual account in respect to these aspects of the story.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Julie

I was in the city in 2003 when St. George's Hall, while undergoing renovation, was "wrapped" with the graphic of John Lennon as the Mona Lisa and some prankster cut out Lennon's eye. I wrote a poem about it, "John Lennon's Eye". I suggest that this "wrapping" is a bit too transparent and obvious, although I suppose it serves the purpose of hiding something temporarily.

Chris
    Like the poem Chris. Was in St George's today for a talk on Dickens in Liverpool.

I don't mind the "paper" - the Reichstag in Berlin was wrapped for quite a while - but it's a poor substitute for the council having got cracking long ago on knocking down/renovating various eyesores. I know the Lime Street shops took the matter to court so they couldn't do there before but the White House had been like that for ages. And this wrapping plan has been talked about for months. Incidentally, the "Paper" has to have special holes in it or the Mersey gusts would blow it down!

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Julie

I lead tours myself of War of 1812 sites around Baltimore, about which I have written a book. While I would hope that what I say is factual, I do stand to be corrected. There are a several details in my book, which came out in 2000, which I have been informed may not be correct and I am now in a better position to give a (hopefully) more factual account in respect to these aspects of the story.

All the best

Chris

It also depends how you're corrected George as well. If you're in mid-flow and someone screams out "You're wrong!" it's a bit off-putting! Better a quiet word in the ear. I tend to be cautious anyway - things like Liverpool's tunnels although undoubtedly true in some parts, are highly debateable but people will insist that there were secret slave tunnels and the like. If there's any doubt, I prefer to say there is or say that "legend has it" or "some people believe."

Liverpool spruces up its drab buildings
    10 January, 2008
    By Chloë McCulloch

Banksy artwork to be preserved in initiative to decorate derelict and depressing buildings with artwork

Seven buildings in the centre of Liverpool have been covered in artwork as part an initiative to bring a splash of colour to drab parts of the city as it begins its year as European Capital of Culture.

The initiative, called Look of the City, involves buildings being painted, dressed with wraps or drapes, or hoarded with specially designed artwork.

One of graffiti artist Banksy works is being preserved as part of the programme, which is meant to reflect the city's historical and cultural life. His design of a giant rat's face on side of a former pub that has fallen into disrepair will now remain a permanent feature in Liverpool.

Lines from the Liverpool Saga – the poem started by Roger McGough – feature on hoardings on a former cinema known as the Futurist building on Lime Street.

Kingham House, an office building on Berry Street, is decorated with Chinese artwork following consultation with community leaders in Chinatown.

Other buildings involved in the project include: a row of shops on Williamson Square, the Scandanavian Hotel, a newly built multi-story carpark called Q Park on Liver Street and Kingston House – formerly Figure Factory and Cooper’s Emporium - opposite the city's Three Graces .

The project has been undertaken by Liverpool Culture Company in collaboration with the city council, urban regeneration agency Liverpool Vision and the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA).

Row of shops on Williamson Square

Kingham House, at the junction of Berry and Duke Streets with the former
    White House pub and the Scandinavian Hotel

Banksy's design on the former White House pub

The Scandanavian hotel

Futurist building, known locally at Aladin's Palace, and formerly a cinema

Source: Building

Thanks for them Howie - haven't been in touch much recently so hadn't seen most of them in place.

It also depends how you're corrected George as well. If you're in mid-flow and someone screams out "You're wrong!" it's a bit off-putting! Better a quiet word in the ear. I tend to be cautious anyway - things like Liverpool's tunnels although undoubtedly true in some parts, are highly debateable but people will insist that there were secret slave tunnels and the like. If there's any doubt, I prefer to say there is or say that "legend has it" or "some people believe."
    Hi Julie

Off putting, yes well maybe. I have to say though I don't mind if the exchange gets a bit peppery as I would rather have that, to get some sort of reaction out the group than nothing. Certainly, blind admiration and praise for what I do would be great, but if someone among the group objects to what I say or has other information, I don't mind. It can lead to a lively exchange, and so liven up the day. The danger though might be if the person hijacks the tour and so you have to not allow that to happen. But at least if you can reach an "agree to disagree" situation, and then carry on with the tour as planned, that would be the ideal situation.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Those hoardings are an ugly waste of money. How many times do they have to use that 08 logo?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post

Futurist building, known locally at Aladin's Palace, and formerly a cinema

Source: Building
    ???

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Those hoardings are an ugly waste of money. How many times do they have to use that 08 logo?
    ugly I have to agree!!

Those pics must be artists' impressions as the only one of those buildings covered with new artwork is the one facing The Whitehouse pub. There's still time to get some pics before they're tarted up. The entrance to the ABC is now boarded up, though.

Libertarian

I like that it's brilliant. The council should invite him to decorate a number of buildings empty and occupied.

Blog Entries

A Banksy artwork has attracted bids of more than £200,000 on eBay - even though the successful bidder will have to cut out part of a concrete wall if they want to take it home. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The Whitehouse Cat/Rat has been revealed agian. This must have happened in the last couple of days.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast