Thread: Liverpool - 10 holiday hot spot!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Liverpool - 10 holiday hot spot!

Jan 4 2008 by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL’S Capital of Culture status has propelled it into an elite list of favourite worldwide holiday destinations.

The city makes a welcome entry at number 10 in a table which includes the likes of New Zealand, Abu Dhabi and China.

It is the only British place to make the register drawn up by top travel website Expedia.

It was compiled following a survey of more than 14,000 regular travellers who were asked where they would most like to visit this year.

Researchers believe Liverpool’s high-profile status for 2008 and international attractions such as the Tall Ships Race and MTV Europe Music Awards can be credited for its appearance.

Capital of Culture is expected to attract an extra 1.7 million visitors to Liverpool which has always held an appeal to foreign tourists thanks to its Beatles heritage and football clubs.

The year-long Capital of Cul ture celebrations are officially launched next weekend with events at the ECHO arena and St George’s Hall plateau.

But the likes of the Liverpool Nativity and the New Year’s Eve extravaganza at Liverpool cathedral have already won national acclaim.

Merseyside’s director of tourism Martin King said: “To be in a worldwide top 10 list with the likes of New Zealand and China shows how far the city has come in its appeal to travellers.

“We are expecting a bumper year in terms of both visitor numbers and hotel bookings and I know these visitors will not be disappointed when they arrive.”

Top spots
    1. New Zealand
    2. Argentina
    3. China
    4. Cape Verde
    5. Abu Dhabi
    6. Alaska
    7. Reykjavik
    8. Berlin
    9. Boston
    10. LIVERPOOL

nick.coligan@liverpool.com
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

COC has the power to permenantly change peoples perceptions of the city.... the city already gets great press from outside the UK, now it will be great to change some of the very outdated UK opinions!

That list doesn't seem right to me.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    That list doesn't seem right to me.
    Spot on - it would be nice to believe it to be true bit it's nonsense. I'd be interested to see the criteria which expedia applied. The fact that it is a mix of countries and cities is highly suspect.

In 2005 France had 77 million inbound tourists, yet it doesn't appear on the list. So if we accept the Expedia figures are we to believe more than 77 million are heading scousewards?

Better add a few more hotels quickly!

However, as only 32.7million visitors came to the UK in 2006 in total, for Liverpool to outscore France just by itself is clearly ridiculous.

Statistics are useful if applied meaningfully, but what Expedia had done just highlights how easily they can be misused. Perhaps they have an ex-politician in their stats department analysing figures?

The list is a top ten list of places people would most like to visit in 2008! Not necessarily where they are going to visit or have visited and it applies to 2008 only so that's probably why it's in there and France isn't not to mention other world famous tourist destinations. I do feel statistics can be misleading too but it's good that Liverpool made it into the list of where people would like to visit and hopefully it'll boost our reputation. It already gets a healthy amount of tourists anyway and was recently the 5th most visited UK city for international tourists, well, statistically anyway!
    'We're are always the first to laugh, but also the first to cry'-Gerry Marsden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    The list is a top ten list of places people would most like to visit in 2008! Not necessarily where they are going to visit or have visited and it applies to 2008 only so that's probably why it's in there and France isn't not to mention other world famous tourist destinations. I do feel statistics can be misleading too but it's good that Liverpool made it into the list of where people would like to visit and hopefully it'll boost our reputation. It already gets a healthy amount of tourists anyway and was recently the 5th most visited UK city for international tourists, well, statistically anyway!

Makes more sense now - perhaps I should have read the original post more carefully.

Still seems odd though. Cape Verde comes out high but how many people know where it actually is? Not exactly a well-known destination. I only know where it is as I once stopped there for fuel when in the Merchant Navy.

I don't know where it is.

PhilipG

Lies, d*mn lies, and statistics.

London isn't there!