Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ormskirk.

Default Ormskirk

"Ta! Ged, I enjoyed the pics. I visited Ormskirk Market last time I was in UK, brought back some good memories" Cheers

I;d visit Omskirk more If It didn't cost ?5.20 on the train!

Should be close to driving soon though.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Cheap at half the price. Aren't you a student or out of work. Should be free then as far as Maghull at least. Cycle the rest in 15 mins easy peasy.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Partsky

I always like to go to the lovely Mystic Mews, in Ormskirk, which is a nice arcade off the main street with some lovely but expensive shops off each side. There is a mad shop called the Fairy Wing Repair Shop at the end of Mystic Mewswhich has all manner of odd things. You can get a reasonably priced cup of tea in Chapel Gallery and also have a gander at the latest art works.

I think the increasing student population from Edge Hill is changing the face of Ormskirk in terms of shopping and that seems a good thing to me as it was stagnating a bit a couple of years ago

old furniture shop

Magistrates court in Ormskirk

Ye olde police station

Ormskirk parish church with it`s tower and steeple

Steps out of gravestones in Ormskirk parish church
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Nice one Joe.

Very nice Joe. Stokers Furniture store was once a school. There's pics in an old book showing kids in the playground, the wall of which was right on the main road though a none busy main road back then.

The church is only one of two in the country with both a spire and tower due to two old ladies bequeting their savings to the church with one instructing a tower to be built, the other a steeple/spire.

My Dad used to tell me about the two sisters who couldn't decide about whether to have a steeple or a tower. Unfortunately, it seems it is a myth. The steeple dates from the 1400s (rebuilt from 1790 - 1832) whilst the tower dates from around the time of the dissolution of the monasteries (mid C16) when Burscough Priory was closed and Ormskirk church got their bells and built the tower to house them. But the legend of the sisters is very widespread.

Seems even Spike Milligan got it wrong which is a shame as it's a great rhyme and story:
    http://lancashire.greatbritishlife.c...on-to-all-881/
    Last edited by julieoapw; 02-22-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    My Dad used to tell me about the two sisters who couldn't decide about whether to have a steeple or a tower. Unfortunately, it seems it is a myth. The steeple dates from the 1400s (rebuilt from 1790 - 1832) whilst the tower dates from around the time of the dissolution of the monasteries (mid C16) when Burscough Priory was closed and Ormskirk church got their bells and built the tower to house them. But the legend of the sisters is very widespread.
    Thanks, Julie and Ged. The revised story sounds closer to the truth. I remember the church very well from Ribble bus journeys I used to take with my Grandad when we went to Blackpool or Preston. After he retired from the Post Office telephones as a general manager he had a job installing phones for the "Blower" in betting shops. My wife and I drove through Ormskirk, at least on the bypass, on our way from Liverpool up to Lancaster in October, on our way to catch the ferry from Heysham to Warrenpoint, Northern Ireland. I regret we did not have time to have a look at the church. Hopefully on our next trip to the UK, . . .

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Great photos GD

Ye olde drinking fountain in Ormskirk,1858
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Open for the last month, the proprietor of this shop claims to be able to get his hands on any of your childhood sweets from sweet tobacco, liquorice sticks, sherbet dips, bulls eyes, arrow bars, egg n milks, bon bons, sugar barley, black jacks, spanish gold, gobstopper, truffles, rum balls or whatever and is doing a roaring trade.

The Continental Market was in Ormskirk today which means Spanish Paella in great big pans, Frankfurters like only the Germans know how, Belgian Chocolates and my fave, French Garlic Prawns the size of Mr T's fingers.

Blog Entries

Nice one Ged.

Spent a lot of summers there as a pup.Worked on the library last year and Edge Hill in 2004 (the FacEd).Hasn't changed that much,the market it not as big as it was but the place is full of charity shops.The locals are livin' in the past,every new thing they try to stop.More building at Edge Hill(the towns biggest employer,the studets put loads of cash in and they don't want it) My mum and some friends wanted to open a day center for the terminally ill,a place where their carers could leave them so they could do shopping etc.Oh no! Ormskirk does not want sick people,lowers the tone etc,etc.
    And another thing,in reply to Zappas older posts,go and have a look at the Scott estate,off the A59 by where Burscough Rd meet it,BEIRUT.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast