Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ormskirk.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ged for all these terrific pics ,reminding me of a great day I had in Ormskirk in '93 on a trip home ,on Market Day too! I toured the church & cemetery ,noting the gravestones as pathways , felt a little odd walking on folks gravestones though. Ron

Partsky

Its a nice little town with some good tea shops. I love Mystic Mews, the lovely old arcade of shops off the main street. I like the fact that Edge Hill University has expanded, although I dont think all the locals agree. The town seemed in danger of dying a few years ago. Chapel Art Gallery and Teashop is a nice place to stop and have tea and a browse. Ruff Woods, just outside the town is gorgeous too.

There's about 3 millions bakers/cafes. I don't know how the town supports them all. They even had two Sayers in the same street until they restructured that time and closed one down.

I think the locals are a bit miffed about some of the rowdy student antics. Wednesday night is cheap ale and the town's only club is open til 1am - Las Vegas or what eh?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I absolutely love visiting Ormskirk every time I am home from Australia, I particularly enjoy market day on a Thursday and a Saturday, and I found out recently that the West Lancs Town crier, Don Evans, ls living in my old house up on Elmers Green, Skelmersdale, I wish I was still living there , a beautiful area, in all of Lancs, Beacon Park etc, if any of you know this area. I know where John Zapper is coming from Kerv , as much as I love my old city of Liverpool , a lot of it has declined, much to the worse, from when I was living there, and I go back far longer than you, 1942 till the present, and I still go back in my memories of how it used to be. But still proud to be a Scouser.

[QUOTE=Ged;105989]This is PhilipG's photo of Woolworth's, Ormskirk, lifted from the Wooly's thread.

This is now an Iceland.

Yes, I know Elmers Green well, the post part of Skem High up, not far from Dalton, great views - you can see the Cathedrals and Tower from there.

My mums mum and all her family are from Ormskirk/Lathom I got her side of the family tree to the 1700's in no time.

All the rest are Irish and as soon as I hit them its a brick wall, researching Irish ancestry is so so difficult.

You've done well getting back to the 1700's there H.

The problem with the Irish ancestry records is they were all destroyed in a fire so I've found it difficult to get any further back than my gt gt gt grandparents coming over during the famine in the mid 1840s.

Yeah but that was just the Govt records Ged, all the Church records are still there, its just knowing what district and Church to look in.

I got my Dads side to 1843 they came over from Dublin ( found a source on Census for info), and even though I know there Dubliners I can't go further online, need to get over there and scour the archives to find wedding and birth info.

Ormskirk info was so easy Ged, its all been transcribed and free to get online.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ormskirk/index.html

Great stuff H. Looks like a cheap ferry in the summer and plenty of guinness to fuel you around.

Ah tomorrow would be the day for sure begorra!

Catch yerself on.

this is in Ormskirk parish church,any idea what it is? Looks like one of the old liverpools urinals which were on the dock rd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4437868409_f733c96&#101.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	14168  
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Partsky

I want to live in one of those big posh houses in Ruff Lane in Ormskirk. They are gorgeous. Just far enough out of the town to be quite but still accessible. A previous postee wonders how the town can support all the cake shops. Thats because all the students wander around scoffing them all day. It still has really old fashioned butchers and independent cake shops too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast