YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ormskirk.

Thanks

Default Ormskirk.

As there's already a thread on Skelmersdale and Hale which are other Counties, I thought i'd post some pics of Ormskirk that I took around Christmas.

Named after a viking settler, lots of ancient history here with its 1000 year old market and nearby Burscough Priory and Lathom House. The quaint villages of Haskayne and Parbold are only a short distance away with canalside pubs and Ormskirk itself is only 15 mins from switch island (3 hours if you're walking)

Here is the International food market that's on every now and again. The main market is on every thurs and sat.

ADVERTISING

looking South down Aughton Street from the Clock Tower - Liverpool bound.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

John(Zappa)

Nice pics Ged.
    I like Ormskirk.A lot nicer and cleaner than most of L/pool

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Nice pics Ged.
    I like Ormskirk.A lot nicer and cleaner than most of L/pool
    Will u behave yourself John, stop knocking Liverpool
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Will u behave yourself John, stop knocking Liverpool
    Ok Kev,I will leave it to Liverpool to do it.I am not knocking Liverpool,I just am honest.Some people don't like honesty but tough I say.
    I do think Ormskirk is cleaner,so is Thornton,Rainford and Chester.
    I also think Rome is a dump along with Liverpool coming close.My opinion and entitled to it

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A lot nicer and cleaner than most of L/pool
    This John, is just a sweeping statement about Liverpool, I wouldn't say most of Liverpool is dirty and untidy. There are lovely, clean, attractive places in Liverpool, lots and lots and lots.

I don't know enough about Ormskirk to comment but its tiny in comparison to Liverpool.

Nice pics of Ormskirk. Have been there a couple of times, might dig out a few pics.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Taken in 2006 when we went to get our family photos done. Since we went there, there has been a Liverpool studio that opened.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Cadfael

Ormskirk is only one of three parish churches to have both a tower and a spire!

John(Zappa)

This John, is just a sweeping statement about Liverpool, I wouldn't say most of Liverpool is dirty and untidy. There are lovely, clean, attractive places in Liverpool, lots and lots and lots.

I don't know enough about Ormskirk to comment but its tiny in comparison to Liverpool.
    There are some nice clean places in L/pool but there's a whole load of ugly dirty places,and I mean "a whole load".
    I open my eyes and see all this crap and wonder where all this "great stuff" is (Oh yes,city centre).

Maybe Ormskirk has a smaller population but it is the people that make the place a nice place to visit/live.

I never need to put L/pool down as it does a fine job by itself.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I never need to put L/pool down as it does a fine job by itself.
    Yes, you keep reiterating this point.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Thanks for the pics, Ged.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Cadfael

Yes, you keep reiterating this point.
    Let's sooth the situation with a bit of 'music' from Ormskirk's Church:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L_IxeZJRU0s

Libertarian

Liverpool is a hell of a lot cleaner than it was 20 years ago when Church Street was terrible for litter. Furthermore, it was the Duke of Westminster who said he would rather go for a night out in Liverpool rather than Chester because he feels safer in Liverpool. Most of my work colleagues tell me how rough these small towns are after dark Ormskirk and Southport being no exception. Furthermore I have seen urban decline in these places too.

Libertarian

In fact yes I agree Chester city centre is nice as is Liverpools but what about some of the estates in that city? Loads of people I know who live in Chester say they are ver chavy and rough and don't go near them.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    In fact yes I agree Chester city centre is nice as is Liverpools but what about some of the estates in that city? Loads of people I know who live in Chester say they are ver chavy and rough and don't go near them.
    The chavs and the rough are all over the place just like the hoodies.
    I reckon we got more than Chester.I haven't heard of many shootings,stabbings,muggings,robbed cars or smackheads being a major problem in Chester unlike Liverpool.

Libertarian

The chavs and the rough are all over the place just like the hoodies.
    I reckon we got more than Chester.I haven't heard of many shootings,stabbings,muggings,robbed cars or smackheads being a major problem in Chester unlike Liverpool.
    Chavs are not all over the place in Liverpool as we have nice areas and poor areas just like Chester. If Liverpool is worse for crime than Chester produce the statistics. There is no evidence statistically that crime is worse here than any other part of the UK.
    Last edited by Libertarian; 01-04-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks

what is the definition of a chav ?

Libertarian

FACT

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs07/northwest07.pdf

Levels of crime by police force area North West Region (Tables 7, 8 and
    Figure 1)
    Police recorded crime
    Total recorded crime decreased in all of the police force areas in the North West region, apart from
    Greater Manchester which increased by one per cent between 2005/06 and 2006/07.
    Between 2005/06 and 2006/07 all police force areas in the North West region saw falls in the
    number of burglaries recorded, with Lancashire showing the smallest percentage decrease in
    burglary (1%) and the highest percentage increase in offences against vehicles (2%). Greater
    Manchester recorded the only percentage increase in violence against the person offences (8%). In
    the same period Cumbria had the greatest reduction in burglary (10%) and Merseyside had the
    greatest reduction in total recorded crime (11%), offences against vehicles (12%) and violence
    against the person (25%). Cheshire recorded the greatest reduction in criminal damage (10%).
    Greater Manchester recorded the highest rates of burglary, offences against vehicles and violence
    against the person in the North West region (18, 23 and 22 offences per 1,000 population
    respectively). The recorded crime rates for these three offences were also above the overall
    England and Wales rates for 2006/07. In Cumbria recorded crime rates across these three offence
    groups were lower than for other forces in the North West region and the overall England and Wales
    rates.
    In 2006/07 there were 475,807 recorded crime BCS comparator offences in the North East region.
    Levels of recorded crime BCS comparator offences decreased in all police force areas, apart from
    Greater Manchester which increased by two per cent between 2005/06 and 2006/07.

So much for car theft jokes about Merseyside when Greater Manchester had a higher rate last year.

However, the thread is about small towns, and the figures show slightly higher crime rates for Liverpool as opposed to Cheshire. Not really suprising for a big city as opposed to small rural areas and towns is it? However in 2007 Merseyside showed a significantly larger fall than Cheshire in crime figures. Furthermore Ormskirk is West Lancs right? The figures show a jump in vehicle crime there and the smallest decrease in burglary. These are the objective FACTS
    Last edited by Libertarian; 01-04-2008 at 09:26 PM.

DaisyChains

There are some nice clean places in L/pool but there's a whole load of ugly dirty places,and I mean "a whole load".
    I open my eyes and see all this crap and wonder where all this "great stuff" is (Oh yes,city centre)
    Have you never been to Sefton Park? Lark Lane? Calderstones? Allerton? Menlove Avenue? Princes Park Mansions? Otterspool? Hope St? the 2 cathedrals? (I could go on)
    Last edited by Kev; 01-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Have you never been to Sefton Park? Lark Lane? Calderstones? Allerton? Menlove Avenue? Princes Park Mansions? Otterspool? Hope St? the 2 cathedrals? (I could go on)
    Of course I have been there,have you been to Norris Green,Breck rd,Tuebrook,Kensington,Walton where there's loads of boarded up shops,houses,crack dens etc etc I could go on.
    By the way I live in a dirty part of the city,a place where shootings,drugs and stabbings are all part of everyday life here.Ahh you gotta love it.Not!

Thanks

This link went from being one with nice photos of Ormskirk, to one about grime and crime.
    Unfortunately I don't have any photos to post, but here are some crime figures for Liverpool, Chester, Ormskirk & Manchester

http://upmystreet.co.uk/local/police...liverpool.html
    http://upmystreet.co.uk/local/police...l/chester.html
    http://upmystreet.co.uk/local/police.../ormskirk.html
    http://upmystreet.co.uk/local/police...anchester.html

We can see from these that Chester is about the same as the national average, Liverpool is twice as bad, Ormskirk is less than the average & Manchester - well, don't go!

PhilipG

And there's loads of litter in Ormskirk on Market Days, but then nowhere's perfect.

I'll post some photos of Ormskirk when I've scanned them, and made sure there's no litter.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Thanks

Ormskirk is great; its where some fellow college students have eloped to for the delights of Edge Hill Uni!

I like the compass at the crossroads; it shows which direction other places are in, and how far away they are!

Getting there on public transport can be fun; take my advise and use the train! The bus goes here there and everywhere, especially when it passes through Maghull!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Libertarian

Default Ormskirk is part of Liverpool

In today's Daily Post T.V's Dead Ringer's Star Jon Culshaw is reported as saying that his home town of Ormskirk is part of Liverpool

"Ormskirk is in Liverpool's field of gravity" he says.

Thanks

Aughton Street.

PhilipG

Default Wednesday.

Former Pavilion cinema.

Former Regal cinema.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-18-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks

Larverly

Thanks

This is PhilipG's photo of Woolworth's, Ormskirk, lifted from the Wooly's thread.

I am hearing reports that a man threw himself off the roof of this building today, through the canopy of one of the market traders, to his death.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    This is PhilipG's photo of Woolworth's, Ormskirk, lifted from the Wooly's thread.

I am hearing reports that a man threw himself off the roof of this building today, through the canopy of one of the market traders, to his death.
    Oh Dear!
    That's spooky.
    R.I.P.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-24-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks

Thinking of going to Burscough and wondering the farmlands are, are they close enough to the canal and train stations.

Burscough seems worthy enough to put up with evil weekend trains for.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Thanks

Bursough is a really nice place these days; Lancs CC have spent alot of money regenerating the Town Centre, the obligatory posh paving slabs and ornate lighting have been installed with trees...looks great at night!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast