Thread: National Coverage of C of C

Exclamation National Coverage of C of C

There is a 6 minute rolling video about Liverpool and the Capital of Culture to be found on InformationTV. Scroll down and click on the red 'watch live' button.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Default Alun Parry

Alun Parry,Liverpool singer,songwriter is to host a Radio 4 show on 10th Jan
    at 3 :45pm called "A Sense Of Liverpool" talking about C of C.
    He will be highlighting Liverpool`s grassroots music scene.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

I just watched a few loops of the Information TV stuff..... could be better

Maybe it's that I already know Liverpool, I know the attractions and events they're advertising already, but as for "this is the European Capital of Culture" it used it more as a slogan than its real meaning.

As for taking over the Information TV channel for 24 hours: I never watch that channel anyway, and I must say the big title with the name "Liverpool" jumped out at me flicking through the channel guide, but wouldn't it have been better to have smaller features in the more mainstream channels?

Anyway: in the words of Ringo: Peace And Love and Happy New Year all

DaisyChains

Courtesy of Chris B on SSC.

There's a brief article on Liverpool in this months Sky Magazine, written by Mariella Frostrup who presents programmes on Sky Arts -

~~~~~~~

Liverpool Rocks!

Find out why the city is such a worthy winner of the title of 2008 European Capital of Culture...

There are lots of reasons to love Liverpool right now - just ask former Beatle, Ringo Starr, who'll be heading up the city's programme of events for it's year as European Capital of Culture. The celebrations start this month with a one-off performance of Liverpool the Musical, a star-studded production about the city's history. So what makes Merseyside great?

1 Music: It boasts more artists who've had Number One singles than any other city in the world. The Beatles and fellow Liverpudlian uber-groups, such as Frankie Goes to Hollywood, are to be thanked for this musical feat.

2 Architecture: The Royal Liver Building was Britian's first skyscraper, while the city's waterfront is a World Heritage Site - on a par with Egypt's pyramids!

3 The Arts: Tate Liverpool houses significant works of modern art, and in 2007 played host to the Turner Prize.

4 Film It's edgy, urban landscape and history has earned Liverpool the title of 'Britain's most filmed city outside London'. Think films such as Educating Rita and The Hunt for Red October, and hits shows Bread and Brookside.

LIVERPOOL THE MUSICAL, SAT 12 JAN, LIVERPOOL ECHO ARENA; VISIT LIVERPOOL08.COM FOR INFO ON THIS AND MORE

Lots more could be added to the above 3 instances of course including adding more groups, including more Grade I & II listed buildings outside of London than anywhere and adding that only Liverpool and the 4 home capital cities have a National Museums and Galleries.
    Last edited by Ged; 01-04-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Prime Minister hails Capital of Culture

Blog Entries

City enjoys culture capital party

The event has been described as "a once in a lifetime" show

Up to 25,000 people have turned up to help Liverpool launch its year as Capital of Culture.

Former Beatle Ringo Starr helped get the party under way by performing on the 100ft-high roof of St George's Hall in the centre of the city.

He was joined by acrobats who dangled on wires from cranes - designed to reflect the building work which has transformed the area.

The opening party kicks off a year-long programme of more than 350 events.

Fireworks exploded from the top of St George's Hall and lights and projections bathed the Neo-Classical masterpiece and other surrounding buildings, including the Empire Theatre and Lime Street station.

As well as suspending the acrobats, some of whom appeared to dash up the side of St George's Hall, the cranes also hoisted shipping containers, which were designed to symbolise the city's shipping heritage.

Organisers hope the Capital of Culture tag will attract an extra two million visitors and boost the economy by £100m.

The ceremony began at 2008 GMT and boasted a list of 600 performers, including Starr, former Eurythmics frontman Dave Stewart and The Wombats.

Ringo Starr performed on the roof of St George's Hall

Restoring city pride

The show's design was drawn up by director Nigel Jamieson, responsible for the opening ceremony for the Sydney Olympic Games.

It took more than 100 tonnes of staging, 2.5 miles (4km) of fibre optic cabling and 250 people more than 40,000 hours to set up.

Two 40ft (12m) screens were erected to help the crowd on Lime Street enjoy the show.

Despite earlier criticism, Phil Redmond, Brookside creator and deputy chairman of the Culture Company said he was sure it would go to plan: "It's like a scouse wedding - a lot of rowing but it gets there in the end."

On Saturday the new Echo Arena will play host to a musical extravaganza which will showcase some of the most famous names in Merseyside music.

Ringo Starr, Echo and The Bunnymen, The Farm, Riuven, The Wombats, Pete Wylie, Vasily Petrenko and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra will take centre stage alongside community choirs and gospel groups in the "once in a lifetime show".

At a press conference the former Fab Four drummer said he was proud to be a part of the celebrations.

"I'm from Liverpool, I do feel that - it's in my soul.

"It has changed so much over the years but the atmosphere of the city doesn't change - it's still here."

Liverpool's art galleries and museums will also be open to visitors until 2200 GMT.

Experts at the North West Development Agency have predicted that the year-long title and other planned events could net £50m from tourists.

They also expect the same amount again to be generated on Merseyside.

Peter Mearns, executive director of marketing at the NWDA, said: "As the celebrations get under way for Capital of Culture the eyes of the world will be on England's North West and it is critical that we seize this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to show the world exactly what we have to offer here."

BBC News
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

GMTV did some coverage yesterday morning but I wasnt overly impressed, the general report was good on the number of museums, grade 2 buildings etc but then they interviewed Phil Redmond and Kate Garraway seemed determined to stitch him up over the funding shortfall.

Blog Entries

I've noticed that too, and the seemingly never ending reports nationally have all included some comment on the chaos and mess up until this point within their c of c report.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Here's the front page of Yahoo! (UK and Ireland) this morning:

Report here
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I see the Daily Star has managed to crowbar a press release into its own style

I'LL SHOW YOU MY ARTS

ABOVE: SCOUSE SIZZLER: Hot model Dani will be joining in the big year of celebrations
    [Click here to see our Danielle Lloyd gallery]
    15th January 2008

LOVELY Dani gives us a personal tour of the new European capital of culture with 20 amazing Liverpool facts.

Becoming Capital of Culture is guaranteed to boost a city’s income. Two million tourists will visit Liverpool this year, helping to bring in more than £2billion and create 14,000 jobs.

etc

Default www.visitbritain.co.uk

VisitBritain launches campaign promoting Liverpool ‘08
    Monday, 21 January 2008

VisitBritain has launched a year-long campaign targeting UK residents to visit Liverpool in this year the city’s year as European Capital of Culture.

The £250,000 campaign, created by Northampton agency Milton Bayer, covers print, online and direct response. The NWDA through its tourism support body, England’s North West, is supporting the campaign.

The specific focus of the promotion – Culture08 - is to encourage the ‘one in five of us who incorporates cultural experiences into our holidays in England’.

VisitBritain believes that over two million additional visitors will be enticed to attend one or more of the 300 plus events scheduled for Liverpool this year.

Laurence Bresh, VisitBritain’s England marketing manager, said: “From world-renowned museums and galleries, arts festivals and music events to theatre and performance, innovative architecture and different communities, Liverpool has one of the most vibrant and diverse cultural scenes in the world.

"This is our opportunity to shine the spotlight on the wealth of exciting events that are taking place throughout the year."

Source: How-Do

Phil Redmond talking in the Feb 08 edition of regeneration and renewal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Article.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	5236  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.