Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haunted Liverpool Pubs

Blog Entries

Default Haunted Liverpool Pubs

You'd think that there would be lots of info out there on haunted pubs in Liverpool; everyone seems to know some vague story about one old pub or another. And yet, I've had a huge amount of trouble trying to find any verifiable* stories pertaining to haunted boozers in Liverpool. Anyone know of any good stories that I might be able to get my teeth into? Anything that's been in the Echo or another paper?

*by verifiable I mean anything with enough facts in terms of names, dates, recorded accounts or anything like that to even begin researching properly.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    You'd think that there would be lots of info out there on haunted pubs in Liverpool; everyone seems to know some vague story about one old pub or another. And yet, I've had a huge amount of trouble trying to find any verifiable* stories pertaining to haunted boozers in Liverpool. Anyone know of any good stories that I might be able to get my teeth into? Anything that's been in the Echo or another paper?

*by verifiable I mean anything with enough facts in terms of names, dates, recorded accounts or anything like that to even begin researching properly.
    How are you getting on with your book?
    I don't know of any pub stories I'm afraid.
    Might be an idea to write a letter to a few pubs asking?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    How are you getting on with your book?
    I don't know of any pub stories I'm afraid.
    Might be an idea to write a letter to a few pubs asking?
    It's coming on very well thanks for asking. Unfortunately, my other work has been rather getting in the way lately so I haven't had as much time to devote to the book as I would like.

I have written to a few pubs (and emailed) but so far the response has not been too good sadly.

'fraid I'm a bit vague too.

I heard that the pub on Scotland rd, the Throstles Nest' is supposed to be haunted, but I can't remember how the story goes.

There was a gay bar off dale street I heard that was supposed to be haunted , but it turned out it was just a couple of guys trying to put the willies up each other.

Tom Slemen mentions a story about the post house in Cumberland street being haunted by a couple of skeletons playing the old joanna?

The Punch bowl in Sefton is supposed to be haunted by a few ghosts and both the above stories were featured in the echo some time back but as you'll know with ghost stories - very unreliable!
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Tom Slemen mentions a story about the post house in Cumberland street being haunted by a couple of skeletons playing the old joanna?

The Punch bowl in Sefton is supposed to be haunted by a few ghosts and both the above stories were featured in the echo some time back but as you'll know with ghost stories - very unreliable!
    The Poste House is a lovely little pub, supposedly where Hitler had a pint too isn't it? Or was that Slemen too... ?

Just found this about the Punch Bowl
    Reader Mark Tomlinson reports that a pub next door to the church, called the Punch Bowl, is said to be haunted by the ghost of a man in blue nautical garb, which has been reported there for many years.
    from http://paranormal.about.com/library/.../aa101804b.htm

Sadly, it falls outside my catchment area for the book, as does anywhere "over the water" (despite the fact that I've been given one or two nice stories from over there).

I've dropped the Throstles Nest an email, cheers lindylou.
    Last edited by johnreppion; 12-30-2007 at 02:58 AM.

PhilipG

Default The Throstles Nest.

The person who wrote "Played in Liverpool" seems to think it was originally called "The Billiards Hotel".
    It was always "The Throstles Nest", and had "Billiards" and "Hotel" painted on the side of the building just to let people know what was available.

Try getting in touch with The Oxford in Oxford St/Abercrombie Sq area, have a look at this - there's another of Slemen's stories where some lads went into a timewarp in this vicinity as well.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/e...name_page.html

I have stayed in Haunted pubs, the first was the Belvedere in Sugnall Street L1, My wife and i were staying there for a few days while the Landlady was taking a break, at the time i was involved in research but had no equipment with me apart from a dictaphone, on the third night i left it on the bar as we cleaned up for the night, it was also taken into the cellar on the same night and left on the stairs as we collected a few crates of bottles to refill the shelves. At the time nothing out of the ordinary took place but on reviewing the tape a voice whispering the name Barbara can be heard just after the tape is left on the bar (i was cleaning glasses and you can here the fruit machine on the far side of the room what the wife was playing), There is the sound of a "knock" just after me leaving the tape on the stairs in the cellar, and also while listening to the recording the window/frame at the front of the building upstairs shaked without cause?
    The Railway Inn in Wavertree has a few stories, my Grandchildren have seen a Figure downstairs in the lounge, but i used to like watching the orb's on the security monitor. If ye get the chance (when/if it reopens) see if you can get a look at the security systems hard drives. I've also seen these "orbs" on the security system in the Brunswick Bar in the town centre.
    Call me Lazy but iv'e never really needed to collect Evidence, i don't beleive you can convince people about Ghosts/Whatever, the best thing is to have an experience for themselves, i know only to well what it's like to be the butt of a workforce's jokes, but i also know that each person has a story to be told.
    I no longer have access to these pubs but if ye ever need a hand collecting evidence or a body out in the field im always up for action!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Try getting in touch with The Oxford in Oxford St/Abercrombie Sq area, have a look at this - there's another of Slemen's stories where some lads went into a timewarp in this vicinity as well.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/e...name_page.html
    Cheers Ste, the Oxford is one of those pubs that I've always quite fancied but never actually been in. Sadly, I can't find any contact info for it online at the moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    I no longer have access to these pubs but if ye ever need a hand collecting evidence or a body out in the field im always up for action!
    That's why I'm so disappointed to be having such a hard time with the pubs; it'd be such a good excuse for visiting a few.

The story about the Belvedere (a lovely little pub) is very interesting. Did you ever hear any more about the haunting from anyone? Was it pre-existing (and dare I hope ongoing)? Did the name of Barbara mean anything to you or anyone else at the time? I'd love to hear the tape...

Default haunted pubs

the weighing machine on wavertree road, supposedly haunted by an ex manager who commited suicide by hanging himself after being threatened by a liverpool gang who called themselves the peanut gang. think this would have been in the fifties, i remember my dad telling us one long winter evening when we were kids sitting round the fire

Andersons Bar was reputedly haunted. Before the refurb there was a ships bell that used to occasionally ring on its own. The staff used to close up and find things had been moved overnight

Blog Entries

Cheers Hakeswill (and belatedly to you Peter), the book is done and dusted now but a haunted pub guide might be a nice follow up idea.
    Comments? Questions? Subjects you'd like to see covered here?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast