Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holmleigh, Cressington, Aigburth Road

What lovely scenes in those postcards - a bygone era.

chippie

Yes Lindy and Philip great photos. I wish I knew a postcard dealer who would let me copy his cards. I,ve got one somewhere of a church in Everton I got in St Georges Hall postcard fair once, I must dig it out and post it on a couple of sites.

I,ve been looking lately to see could I see an old postcard of my gt gt gramps through all the vintage postcards sites, but can,t see one. The Liverpool policeman chappie for my files.

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    Yes Lindy and Philip great photos. I wish I knew a postcard dealer who would let me copy his cards. I,ve got one somewhere of a church in Everton I got in St Georges Hall postcard fair once, I must dig it out and post it on a couple of sites.

I,ve been looking lately to see could I see an old postcard of my gt gt gramps through all the vintage postcards sites, but can,t see one. The Liverpool policeman chappie for my files.
    Hi Chippie

Do you know for a fact that your Great Great Grandfather appeared in a postcard view? I know a number of people in my family had snaps made up as picture postcards. I am a postcard collector so I could keep my eye out for you. Let me know his name if you would - pm me if you wish.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That link was interesting in that it showed the school opened in 1911.
    Obviously not built then, because it looks like the original house was used.
    These are B&W photocopies of postcards, which explains their rough appearance.
    (I was friends with a postcard dealer who let me photocopy cards I couldn't afford).
    The top one was sent by Meg in 1911 and the message she wrote was: "This is a view of this convent lately taken; some of my pupils are in the scene. See all the rhododendrons! The place is full of them and they looked gorgeous all in bloom."
    The bottom one was sent in 1913, and shows that the school had boys as well.

Thank you so much for this Philip.
    Brilliant stuff.

but i think it's the old convent, & La Sagesse School.
    correct the school used to be on that site

There is now a private housing estate which has been there for years
    My sister went there then she transfered to St Julies in woolton village

Default Holmleigh

Holmfield (the house, with no 'e') in Holmefield Road was quite separate from Holmleigh. It was within what became the old IM Marsh complex, part of JMU now.
    Ainslie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12