YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rainhill

Thanks

Default rainhill

Anyone know any history on rainhill, murder history???

ADVERTISING

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by gracie5146 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainhill

Thanks

years ago ( mid 70's) my nan who lived in Holt lane rainhill was reading an article in the prescot and huyton reporter newspaper about a victorian murder, she then told me that either a victim of jack the ripper or a suspect of jack the ripper was buried in st annes church in Rainhill.

Thanks

Default JTR Suspect

That would be Frederick Bailey Deeming
    If you follow the link Cadfael has provided you will find a small piece regarding his murderous activities in Rainhill
    All The Best
    Steve

Thanks

thats an interesting piece , I thought the connection was jack the ripper for some reason, may have been clouded by people telling me the ripper walked the streets of liverpool and merseyside for a time

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    thats an interesting piece , I thought the connection was jack the ripper for some reason, may have been clouded by people telling me the ripper walked the streets of liverpool and merseyside for a time
    I think there has been talk that Deeming was the Ripper. (Chris George will be able to help here!)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Rainhill was also home to what was at one time the largest mental health asylum in the world Rainhill Asylum which, in December 1911, housed 1,990 patients.[citation needed] This was demolished in 1991.
    I had no idea the asylum was so big.

Thanks

my nan was a nurse there in the 50's / 60's

Thanks

28 Days Later has a nice interesting writ-up on Rainhill Hosp. >>>

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ead.php?t=3652

I am sure one or two people will know the site

I have an Interest in it because there were two VW Fire appliancers permenatly on the hospital. A club I belong to are trying to trace them. We have had no success yet.

Phredd

ps:- a lot of Asylum Hospitals were known as "Water Tower Hospitals" as a water tower was a focal point of them: eg Rainhill & Warrington. Sadly both towers are long gone.
    Last edited by phredd; 12-29-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Thanks

Hello gracie, shoney et al.

In the matter of murderer Frederick Bailey Deeming and his connection to Rainhill, please see my article on coroner Sir Samuel Brighouse who oversaw the inquests on the bodies at Rainhill as well as the inquest on Ripper suspect James Maybrick in Aigburth and Garston, Liverpool.

A Coroner for All Seasons: Sir Samuel Brighouse

In truth, I don't believe either Maybrick or Deeming was the bloody killer who committed the Whitechapel murders but nonetheless the connection through Coroner Brighouse is interesting.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks
    Blog Entries

1831 - The second Liverpool Lunatic Asylum was built on Brownlow Hill with four acres of grounds. It was part of the Liverpool Infirmary and had beds for 64 "insane people"
    Does anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks

has anyone heard of a murder in an alleyway on tasker terrace in rainhill. The murderers parents owned a sweetshop which is now manolitos in rainhill village.

Thanks

has anyone heard of a murder in an alleyway on tasker terrace in rainhill. The murderers parents owned a sweetshop which is now manolitos in rainhill village.
    Not sure if this is the same thing, but about 1984 (when I lived in Eccleston Park and was at Rainhill High) a girl who worked in Eccleston Lane Ends post office (now closed) was found murdered on the triangular patch of waste ground next to the skew bridge in Rainhill - I think the murderer had some connection with (was it called?) Rocco's in Rainhill Village.

And about the same year it was a schoolfriend of mine who found the body of a woman in a ditch next to the old Rainhill High site in Whiston - she was a patient at Rainhill Hospital who'd been missing for some weeks, they can't have looked very hard.

Thanks

thanks that was a great help. Do you know if the murderer was a soldier?

The lady that found the body in whiston is her second name now English?

Thanks

thanks that was a great help. Do you know if the murderer was a soldier?

The lady that found the body in whiston is her second name now English?
    First question - Don't know, and to your second question, it was a lad that found the body (the press reports at the time made out it was an unnamed member of staff at Rainhill High). The body was found in the ditch that ran along the boundary between the school site and the hospital site, off Portico Lane.

Thanks

???? I was living close to this area at the time, and have no direct recolections of the events , do you have any specifific details i am relly curious as it is quite a while ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    ???? I was living close to this area at the time, and have no direct recolections of the events , do you have any specifific details i am relly curious as it is quite a while ago
    We're talking about (at least) two separate events - the murder in about 1983-4 of a girl who worked at Eccleston Lane Ends post office, whose body was found on waste ground next to the Skew Biridge in Rainhill, and the discovery of a body (a woman patient who had been missing for some time - fould play not suspected) between Rainhill hospital and the (old) Rainhill High School. I have a very detailed memory of the second incident as it was a friend of mine who found her, but he was 11 or 12 at the time, was quite traumatised for some time afterwards and I'm not going to give out any more details here.

Having said upthread that I thought there was a connection in the first case to Rocco's restaurant in Rainhill Village, I've a feeling that was another death a few years later.

And to round out the grislies, there was the chap who shot himself in the offices over Rainhill (Kendrick's Cross) post office about 1986-7.

Thanks

hello gracie , Shonie

regards the body of a female murder whose body found in tasker terrace rainhill in the mid to late 80's

shed been murdered by the son of the female owner of roccos restaurant in rainhill who'd then moved to knowsley village after selling roccos , strangled with a piece of army scrim netting ( hence the army connection gracie ) which was found at the scene , he walked into a police station 10 yrs after the muder and handed himself in

now regards the murder where there was a girl found in a stream which ran through rainhill hospital grounds as far as im aware she'd been admitted after her mother had died and she was only due to be in the hospital for 6 months , as far as im aware my mother told me that one of the other patients had smuggled a knife out of the kitchens and slit her throat with it and dumped her in the stream , if eiher you or shonie have skype let me know and we'll all have a conference call together one day just post on here and ill get back to you

Thanks

Trucker321, not sure if you will get any reply as Shoney hasn't logged-in since May 2009, and Gracie Sept 2008.

Thanks

Wasn't there a vat/drum of acid one in Rainhill?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks

Default info needed please

im trying to find out info on a girls murder in rainhill late 70's early 80's apparently she was killed by her brother both being young teenagers at the time. any info id really appriciate.
    thanks....

Thanks

iv since learned that the girls body was found on or by the old rainhill high school grounds, maybe its the same one as the other but the details of her death dont add up to what i have been told,,
    any help please.... thanks

Thanks

iv just found out her death/murder was 28th july 1979 ....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trucker321 View Post
    hello gracie , Shonie

regards the body of a female murder whose body found in tasker terrace rainhill in the mid to late 80's

shed been murdered by the son of the female owner of roccos restaurant in rainhill who'd then moved to knowsley village after selling roccos , strangled with a piece of army scrim netting ( hence the army connection gracie ) which was found at the scene , he walked into a police station 10 yrs after the muder and handed himself in

now regards the murder where there was a girl found in a stream which ran through rainhill hospital grounds as far as im aware she'd been admitted after her mother had died and she was only due to be in the hospital for 6 months , as far as im aware my mother told me that one of the other patients had smuggled a knife out of the kitchens and slit her throat with it and dumped her in the stream , if eiher you or shonie have skype let me know and we'll all have a conference call together one day just post on here and ill get back to you
    No, the body that was found in Rainhill Hospital grounds was that of an elderly woman patient who had wandered off and been missing for a few weeks - she had fallen in the ditch, not been murdered.

Thanks

the young gir im talking about was 14 and was murdered by her brother....

Thanks

There is a house in Rainhill, on the main road, that I was told a murder once took place, but dont know any details about it.

Thanks

There was a murder that I remember where the girls body was found off Rainhill Road, down an alleyway. The girls name was Janet??? Cheetham, and a local guy who lived in a cottage on Warrington Road, was arrested for the murder. Also a girls body was found on the grounds of the old Central School playing fields in Prescot/Rainhill. I dont think they ever found the murderer tho.

Thanks

Do you remember the girl who was murdered on a bus by the driver on the Prescot By-Pass?

Thanks

Yes, Lisa Bayliss, I knew her mum, she lived on Dragon Lane.

Thanks

Default I remember.....

I used to live just off two butt lane and remember when they found the body of the mental patient. I must have been about 5 or six at the time (im guessing it was around 85 - 86) and I remember standing with my dad looking over the field watching the police forensics teams working away all dressed in white. I was always led to beleive that the woman had fallen and banged her head, and drowned in the small brook that ran through the farmers field - anyone who has local knowledge will know that this is now Eccleston Park Golf Club.

I remember that for years later there was still police cordon tape hanging from the tree next to the ditch where the area had been sealed off. It always used to spook me when I played over there as a kid........blowing away in the wind!

In regards to the body found on the school field. Again anyone who knows the area will be aware that the school burnt down and the area is now covered by a housing estate. My friends older brother told us that a friend of his had found a body over there. Cant remember much more of the details apparently in regards to the victim.

Reading this thread has given me a real blast of morbid nostalgia!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast