Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Man In The Cylinder

Blog Entries

By Newsham Park, that's what I was thinking Lindy? It does say Everton though, is this a mistake?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnny blue View Post
    Joking aside , I think it was an accidental death,
    Me too. But how do you explain the cylinder being shut from the outside? In the OP it says he was a 'tallow dealer in the city'.......maybe he was attempting to make himself into the world's largest candle?

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    By Newsham Park, that's what I was thinking Lindy? It does say Everton though, is this a mistake?
    Clifton rd is not near Everton.

Blog Entries

Sorry Lindy. It originally reported as "Clifton Road, Anfield" by Richard Whittington-Egan [not Everton] my mistake. I can't find a current record for it, only the one by Newsham Park.

Originally posted by Ged.

By Richard Whittington-Egan.

The discovery: Friday 13th July 1945.
    The location: The corner of Fulford street and Great Homer Street.
    Date of death - circa July 4th 1885.
    Identified as: (probably) Thomas Cregeen Williams. (paperwork in pocket)
    Resided at: 29 Clifton Road, Anfield.
    Married to: Elizabeth Lea (died aged 42 - buried at Anfield Cemetery)
    Place of work: Owned T.C. Williams & Co. paintworks at 18-20 Leeds st.
    Cause of death: Unknown.
    Reason for death: Possible suicide as he was being inspected by accountants.
    OR/: Possible accident as the result of crawling in there to sleep.

Hi Johnny,

Sorry, I haven't got the map for Clifton Road, Everton.

Fulford Street: he's not too far from Skirving street, home of the black widows, and their life insurance scams. I wonder whether insurance was a motivation? His wife, or business partner may have discovered another way to pay off his creditors. I'd expect the insurers would want to see a body before paying out though? Maybe he was just lying low for a while, avoiding his creditors and he accidentially suffocated?

Accidents do happen...but our minds always want to build a more sinister case.
    A great story... and a classic example of how an active imagination can fuel wild, unjustified speculation! - And how do you explain that the container was allegedly sealed from the outside?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lil V View Post
    A great story... and a classic example of how an active imagination can fuel wild, unjustified speculation! - And how do you explain that the container was allegedly sealed from the outside?
    Don't knock an active imagination....some of my best ideas come from there. Well, if you read again, I did say "his wife, or business partner" first....aledging that our man in the cylinder was the victim here.

Following it with "Maybe he was just lying low for a while, avoiding his creditors and he accidentially suffocated?" was a bit of a throwaway remark, which I'm now throwing away.

Why do I feel like I've just received an 'F'

Just because the lids were nailed down does not prove murder, all they have done is fail to disclose to the coroner of an accidental death, and out of pure panic, feeling scared and maybe responsible for the accidental demise of the victim, nailed down the lids and buried him in L5.

Don't knock an active imagination....some of my best ideas come from there. Well, if you read again, I did say "his wife, or business partner" first....aledging that our man in the cylinder was the victim here.

Following it with "Maybe he was just lying low for a while, avoiding his creditors and he accidentially suffocated?" was a bit of a throwaway remark, which I'm now throwing away.

Why do I feel like I've just received an 'F'
    I wasn't wanting to knock imagination at all - where would any worthwhile tale be without it? But I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that this thread was started by someone who wanted to get to the truth of the matter. Maybe it should have been posted as a History thread rather than Folklore in that case. I think we are getting plenty of good stories here. But if it's history we're researching, and not just enjoying a weird tale, then we need proper evidence.

The childrens playground seen here in 1966 at the foot of Marwood Tower is built over Fulford Street. That is a concrete pipe for playing in btw - not the cylinder

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

They don't make play areas like that no more Ged.

Coz you got bruised to death in them Pablo...AAAAW such good times
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Coz you got bruised to death in them Pablo...AAAAW such good times
    Ours had a big swinging board with about 11 kids hanging on. The big kids would pussh it higher and higher untill a small child got caught in the gubbins or fell off. Another was a revloving pyrmid thing that went up and down and round and round. Pure death machine.

Great stuff...

Blog Entries

Just because the lids were nailed down does not prove murder, all they have done is fail to disclose to the coroner of an accidental death, and out of pure panic, feeling scared and maybe responsible for the accidental demise of the victim, nailed down the lids and buried him in L5.
    Could be JB, we can't rule anything out at the moment.

Just a thought, did the Methodist Church on Back Boundary Street [formally Croston Street] have a graveyard? Another long shot. Could he have been buried in the cylinder, as a makeshift coffin, supplied by his tallow business? It may have been one of the vats for boiling down the animal fats? The bedding and pillow was provided to stop the body moving around, and to give some dignity to the interment. He probably had no money left in his estate, due to the bankruptcy proceedings, so used what was available.

A few problems with this theory - I'll go first: was there a churchyard on this site? why at this particular church & location when he lived in Anfield? he was reported missing intially...therefore, he'd have to be missing first, then to have commited suicide or died, and later buried in the cylinder.

How on earth did that cylinder end up being buried here?

Boundary Street East Methodist Church (formerly Primitive Methodist, and formerly called Pentecost, Croston Street)
    Date 1888 - 1952

AdminHistory This church was opened in 1860 to serve the north end of the town, largely on the initiative of the Rev. James Farmer. It absorbed the remnants of the Maguire Street congregation and was completely rebuilt in 1888. In the present century it entered a period of decline, but had a new lease of life when it joined the Liverpool Mission Circuit following Methodist Union. It was badly damaged in the 1941 blitz and thereafter only the church hall was usable. This finally became unsafe and was closed in 1952.
    [From the LRO online search archive.]

Here's an updated map of the area.

Perhaps it was his wish to be buried at the loaction where, he was christened, married, his parents buried, or was he shot out of a canon from the nearby Rotunda theatre.............this is getting silly

Blog Entries

Perhaps it was his wish to be buried at the loaction where, he was christened, married, his parents buried, or was he shot out of a canon from the nearby Rotunda theatre.............this is getting silly
    Thanks jb for the Rotunda theatre canon imagery...great! A few more facts on the case would be useful. I think I'll bow out for now and let the serious discussion take over.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast