Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pier

Blog Entries

Default New Pier

THE first new pier in the UK for 50 years is being proposed for New Brighton.

The famous Wirral pier could be rebuilt, almost three decades after it was dismantled. Wirral Council is commissioning a feasibility study into recreating the landmark from the resort’s heyday, in what would be only the second new pier in the UK since World War II.

It comes as the seaside town begins to look forward to massive redevelopment following the approval of a major two-part scheme to revitalise it.

The old Floral Pavilion theatre has been demolished and work is progressing on re-building the popular venue as part of the £17m first phase of development.

An outline planning applica-tion for a £45m second phase was approved by the Planning Committee in October.

Local councillor and cabinet member for regeneration, Pat Hackett, said the proposed pier would be “the icing on the cake” for the resort, whose redevelopment he has championed for many years.

Cllr Hackett has worked closely with the council’s preferred developer for the resort, Neptune, and managed to bring together many of those opposed to its original plan, after it had been rejected following a public inquiry.

He said:“Now the NWDA have indicated they would be prepared to fund the feasibi-lity study, which is absolutely phenomenal news.

“If it were to go ahead, it would have all sorts of knock-on effects for New Brighton.”

Cllr Hackett said they would also hope to reinstate ferry trips between Liverpool and New Brighton.

He said: “This is great news for New Brighton, and fully vindicates our approach to revitalise the resort after so many years spent in the doldrums.” A special report, added late to a Wirral Council’s cabinet meeting, said “a pier was orig-inally a part of the Neptune plans but was deferred in terms of the main develop-ment scheme due to the need to examine the feasibility of such a structure”.

The £210,000 study will be done in two parts, with engin-eers assessing flood risk, eco-logical impact and planning factors.

The report is by deputy chief executive of the council Jim Mr Wilkie, who added: “The target area for the study will be in the waterfront area of Victoria Road, alongside the position of the old pier, on land owned by the council, though other possible sites may also be examined.”

Last night, an NWDA spokeswoman said: “The Agency has agreed in principle to fund a feasibility study into the economic viability of a new pier and a landing stage for the area.

“This is subject to the submission of a formal bid and a full appraisal of the scheme.”

Liverpool Echo and Daily Post
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

They had better check if the Mersey barrage is still on, which it appears to be. Well it hasn't gone away, as the Mersey and Seven rivers can give 6% of the UKs electricity by tide.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

[IMG][/IMG]

Do you think it will ever come back to this Kev ?

gregs dad
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

That's a great picture it really shows how the pier looked. I've got a couple of old photos with the pier in the background but very little of it is showing.

Blog Entries

'tis an excellent picture
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default New Brighton Pier

Great Pic! and fond memories for me, I remember dancing on the pier back in the 50s!!! Cheers All

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

here
    This video from You Tube shows the downfall of New Brighton in the last 40 years. Some of you may remember the old scenes of around the waterfront. The video also shows previous plans for the resort.

(just click the image, it will load up in a new window then!)
    Last edited by wallasey; 12-20-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

chippie

Thanks for that mate, a cracker little film full of memories

chippie

I,ve just pulled out of an album this old photo of my dad and Uncle Ronnie Red and little old me on the pier at New Brighton.
    Last edited by chippie; 03-03-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Cllr Hackett said they would also hope to reinstate ferry trips between Liverpool and New Brighton.
    This would be great!! I can't wait until the new lido is built aswell,the kids will love it and in Winter it'll be turned into an ice rink.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    They had better check if the Mersey barrage is still on, which it appears to be. Well it hasn't gone away, as the Mersey and Seven rivers can give 6% of the UKs electricity by tide.
    Quite.
    They could build a paved-over groyne rather than a pier down to a ferry stage.
    Then it could double as a very large launching ramp for trailered-boats - very 21st Century.

Wallasey, a fantastic bit of footage you have found... I was making a very large documentary at that time (1999), for exhibition that later exhibited through out the UK. If I knew that film was about I would have loved to have chatted to the makers of it.

Will Tesco get its shop built? (Lets hope not)....

What do you all think about the new project to build a New York skyline for the area?

Will it be doomed like the last project?

Only time will tell.... Unless posters know some thing I do not know. That would not surprise me....

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Do you think it will ever come back to this Kev ?

gregs dad
    This would be fantastic! If it happens lets hope it has a Landing Stage at the end for the Ferry!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick-t View Post
    Wallasey, a fantastic bit of footage you have found... I was making a very large documentary at that time (1999), for exhibition that later exhibited through out the UK. If I knew that film was about I would have loved to have chatted to the makers of it.

Will Tesco get its shop built? (Lets hope not)....

What do you all think about the new project to build a New York skyline for the area?
    Fantastic!! The old Victorian seaside town has gone, you can't reverse it and bring it back as it will just not happen. Permanently densely populating the area is the way and it improves the dowdy image of the place. However it needs attractions for the locals and to attract from the Mersey/Dee region.

The Mersey Barrage is the big aspect here for any plans. It has to be known if this is going ahead and at what point along the river - there are suggestions for one between Dingle and Bebington. It has great benefits and the best place for it is around New Brighton to Bootle. It could carry a road too and maybe a rail line as well further joining the two sides of the river - hopefully with the Wirral merging with Liverpool city.

Large locks for Ocean going ships would be in it of course and access to Seaforth container terminal ideally via the tidal Liverpool Bay. The barrage can also act against surge tides and tsunamis - yes one hit the Bristol Channel in the 1600s. A small underwater earthquake can trigger them. The barrage has to ensure water does not move around the sides of the barrage, as can happen to the Thames barrier.

A locked in river is a great asset. Ships can moor on the river side of the dock walls and hopefully reducing berthing fees and water leisure facilities will benefit greatly too using a low current large pool of water. Maybe all the existing lock gates will be made redundant and free access to all docks at all times. The Mersey at low tide is not a nice thing. The colour of the water will change for the better from the brownie sandy colour it usually is.

Any beaches would need to be on the seaward side of a New Brighton barrage.
    Last edited by Waterways; 01-06-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

PhilipG

If a new pier was built, it wouldn't be anything like the old New Brighton Pier.
    The last completely new pier, in Deal, Kent, was concrete, and Bournemouth pier was also rebuilt in the 1950s, in concrete.
    I lived in New Brighton in the early 1970s, when the ferry was still in operation, but it was evident even then that Wirral Council wanted NB to be residential, and not a holiday resort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast