Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexei Sayle

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Can I explain that I actually played guitar with Freddie Star and the Midnighters. The same guy had a bad bout of depression and should have got his job back on lines. He carried on and things did become worse. I believe that this was an illness and he is now trying to rectify it.

Alexi Sayles was not even forgiven by his mother, for his comments about Liverpool, nor will they ever be forgiven by me. As far as I am concerned he may as we apply for ajob on the Sun. They are both as welcome as farts in spacesuits in my part of the world.
    Can explain all you like about Freddie Starr, even my own dad and a guy i used to work with says hes a good bloke. But to me hes an unfunny pratt.

Alexi speaks his mind, and when people preach freedom of speech, it dosen't count if THERE own is in the firing line. And considering Scousers are always critical of outside towns, they cry foul when its not in there favour. So for your apply for the Sun comment is typical really.

Blog Entries

Went to see Sayle at the Birmingham Hippodrome over 20 years ago. His 'humour' was based entirely upon swearing. I've no problem with swearing as such but if it is part of his act it has to be funny - it wasn't.

I can't abide Freddie Star. As the saying goes, 'if he was performing in our backyard I'd draw the curtains' - ha !

Stan Boardman- we were amused by him during the 1970s - some bygone era. But I've gone off him now.

I liked Alexi Sayle during the 1980s and 90s when that style of humour was trendy. He was off his head ! and I don't know why we laughed at that mad stuff - The Young Ones, Bottom, etc, and that genre of comedy. I notice the young kids now are getting into it. They watch DVD's of all those old series.

As for the swearing - well, I actually contradict myself, because I don't really like foul language, and yet I love some comdians who swear.
    Some can get away with it, yet some just sound uncouth.

I like Lee Evans but his swearing spoils it for me. he doesn't suit swearing, it just sounds awful.
    yet, I like Jack Dee and Billy Connolly, and they seem to get away with it and are dead funny.

I don't know why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
    Yes Kev, when he said Scousers could be too sentimental. He could of used a better example than Hillsborough but he was crucified for speaking his mind.
    Being sentimental is one of the better human traits to have,there's nothing wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve and if you can't see that then you've got the problem not this city.I suppose the whole country mourning Diana's death passed you by? Or indeed the tributes that are left for everyone else who's died for that matter,Phil O Donnell being the latest? If your like this now I'd hate to meet you as an old man,a guarenteed knife through the ball I think.

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Being sentimental is one of the better human traits to have,there's nothing wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve and if you can't see that then you've got the problem not this city.I suppose the whole country mourning Diana's death passed you by? Or indeed the tributes that are left for everyone else who's died for that matter,Phil O Donnell being the latest? If your like this now I'd hate to meet you as an old man,a guarenteed knife through the ball I think.

Well, i never shed a tear for Princess Di when she died, why should i? I was not related to her, she led a privelidged life and was far from the 'poor little princess' the media made her out to be - after she died. I cried when my closes relatives died, i save my tears who i care about, not someone who wouldn't even blink if i died. And yes, all those people crying in my eyes was ridiculous. Get a grip is the first thing i saw when all the papers, tv channels and shops closed in 'respect' for what seemed like an age. Pathetic.

At least with the Hillsborough tragedy, people close to home were affected and does have a bit of justification for mourning. But why would i be upset for someone i don' know? Call me heartless i wasn't upset over Ken Bigley. Sure i felt sorry for his family, but i didn't know the man, why should i cry for him?

Blog Entries

Alexei Sayle's Liverpool

Liverpool writer and comedian Alexei Sayle takes a tour of his hometown as it becomes European Capital of Culture.

As Liverpool begins its year as European Capital of Culture writer and comedian Alexei Sayle returns to his home city to assess what it has to offer and to see how the city has changed since he left.

Born in Anfield, within shouting distance of The Kop, Alexei Sayle says he's never forgotten his roots, "It's like that cockney 'bow bells' thing.

"You're the most authentic scouser if you're brought up within the sound of Anfield. So I'm an authentic scouser.

"The casual visitor I think is going to be amazed. I think it's very distinctive, the stuff in Liverpool."Help playing audio/video

The buildings in the World Heritage site area of William Brown Street particularly stand out for Alexei, "There is nothing like this collection of buildings anywhere else in Britain or anywhere else in the world.

"You step out of Lime Street Station and suddenly you're in ancient Rome, but eight times bigger."

Worthy of ancient Rome

Liverpool fell on hard times in the 1970's and 1980's but Alexei Sayle believes that a corner has now been turned, "You're going to take away a sense of past glories, but I think you're also going to catch a city at a moment that it's rising again."

"The centre is much better and some of the suburbs are fantastic."

As the city prepares to welcome the world what view does the well travelled Alexei Sayle now have of Liverpool?

"It's kind of wild and mad. There is poverty and deprivation but there's also extraordinary cultural wealth.

"I've travelled the world and I think for me the most exciting city I've ever been to is my home town."

BBC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Alexei Sayle's Liverpool

In the last of the three programmes in June in the series 'Liverpool' it was stated as an opinion (I think I heard it properly) that the big clubs in Liverpool could probably do more for the 'deprived' areas that their clubs sit in e.g. Anfield - do you think that's true? Do they need to do more, or do they do enough already - and does it matter? I'm unsure - just interested.

Comic Alexei Sayle lends backing to celebrity protests against Israeli attacks
    Jan 3 2009
    Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL-BORN comedian and writer Alexei Sayle joined a line-up of celebrities calling on American president-elect Barack Obama to speak up against the Israeli bombardment of the Gaza Strip.

Last night Israel allowed hundreds of Palestinians with foreign passports to leave besieged Gaza.

But it kept up attacks for a sixth day, and ex-model Bianca Jagger, singer Annie Lennox and the former Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, joined the campaign to end the violence.

Ms Jagger called to president-elect Obama to speak up, and said: "We must appeal to him to ask for the immediate cessation of the bombardment of the civilian population in the Gaza Strip."

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

What can you say? If somebody keeps firing mortars,missiles,etc,at you,and your surrounded by potential enemies, what are you supposed to do.....smile!!! I'm supporting Israel on this!

Default Protest in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    What can you say? If somebody keeps firing mortars,missiles,etc,at you,and your surrounded by potential enemies, what are you supposed to do.....smile!!! I'm supporting Israel on this!
    And what would you do if you were one of the besieged and oppressed population of Gaza - sit there with your family and suffer or fight back?

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    The West, including the British government, has supported the last two years' of blockade of the Palestinians in Gaza for the crime of exercising their democratic rights in a manner not to Israel's liking.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    And what would you do if you were one of the besieged and oppressed population of Gaza - sit there with your family and suffer or fight back?
    I've never really though hard about the Israel / Palestine issue.

In biblical times there were the hebrews living in Palestine. Jesus came along and threw a spanner into the works, as far as the scribes / pharasees and high priests of the day (the sanhedren?) are concerned. This brings my first question -

In modern day terms, who side were the high priests on? Where do the jewish people fit in? After Jesus, the christians appeared. The likes of St Paul, St John, Mary Magdalene etc - who would they line up alongside?

Don't know about jewish history, but the next time they appear in our history is in the time of Richard the lionheart (Ivanhoe falls for a jewish girl, daughter of a money lender / the merchant of venice, with Shylock, another money person).

Then there is WW1, when the Brits are on the side of the palestinians.

WW2 when the jews of eastern europe are persecuted by the nazis. At the end of WW2, the jews return to their homeland (did the jews originate from what is now Israel?). Then the troubles start.

Are palestinians part of the arab nations? What religion are they?

Israel was formed to house the jewish people, but how many palestinians live in Israel? Israel seems a strong nation, fighting to maintain its territory. The palestinians appear a poor people with more than their fair share of hotheads (who come across as a parody of a scene from the Life of Brian). Yet somehow, between them, they have created a situation that no-one can solve.

Wouldn't it be nice if Barack Obama was able to get a consensus from other world leaders, then bang a few heads together to come up with a solution.

Above are my (rather simplistic) thoughts. If anyone can answer a few of the questions from above, I would be grateful.

Best wishes for a better year. John
    Last edited by redjed1; 01-04-2009 at 01:09 PM.

One writer recently described conditions in Gaza:

' ... Israel nails shut the coffin that is Gaza under a siege that has lasted nearly three years, steadily intensifying so that malnutrition rates rival those of sub-Saharan Africa, sewage runs raw in the streets and pollutes the ocean, homes are still being bulldozed to super-add collective punishment upon collective punishment; men, women and children are still being sniped at and killed; children are deafened by continuing sonic booms, the vast majority of them suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome, and many of that majority have no ambition other than becoming "martyrs" ...'
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Default Telly

Without wishing to appear naive what has Alexi Sayle got to do with what is going on in the Middle East? Last time I saw him he was talking up the Philharmonic hotel. And Ringo should also not be included in the debate as he no longer lives in Liverpool. As for what is going on well it is all prime time viewing the festive show, remember the public execution of Saddam last year? Well back to work tomorrow, well college.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast