Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 130 Liverpool buildings - SAVED

Blog Entries

Default 130 Liverpool buildings - SAVED

SIX years’ work by Liverpool City Council’s “stop the rot” team is paying dividends in protecting the city’s heritage, according to a new report,

A progress update on the Buildings at Risk project shows that action has been taken on more than 130 buildings which were in poor condition.

The project, which started in 2001, uses legal powers available to the City Council to deal with historic buildings in poor condition to help bring them back into use.

It became part of the Historic Environment of Liverpool Project (HELP), an initiative for heritage-led regeneration in the city, involving English Heritage and other partners.

Buildings at Risk has received £1.4m in funding through the City Council (£424,500) NWDA (£968,000), English Heritage (£45,000) and the Heritage Lottery Fund (£24, 900).

Among the buildings it has successfully helped bring back into use or restored are:

* The Albany, Old Hall Street

* St Peter’s Church, Seel Street

* West Derby Courthouse

* Fleet Street warehouses

* Nelson Memorial , Exchange Flags

* Eldon Grove (on-going)

* The Post Office, Victoria Street

* 3, Ivanhoe Road

* 12 Rodney Street

* Back Berry Street stables

* 80/82 Seel Street

* 98-102 High Street, Wavertree

* Parliament Street Warehouses (Buddleia Building)

It has also helped retained facades of buildings to allow for developments at 30-33 Great George Street; 71 Shaw Street (on-going) ,64-72 Seel Street and Stanley Buildings on Hanover Street.

A report to be considered by the council’s Executive Board on 21 December is recommending that to keep the momentum of the project going an approach be made to the NWDA to use funds from expenditure reclaimed from owners after the council carried out work on their properties for the Buildings at Risk scheme to see it continue until 2010.

Cllr Berni Turner, Executive Member for Environment and Heritage, said: “The Buildings at Risk project has been a success story for the city. We have targeted some of the most neglected but significant buildings in the city and have helped to bring them back into use.

“Our commitment to preserving the city’s unique architectural heritage is not just words – we have backed this with action. This programme has helped restore the West Derby Courthouse, St Peter‘s Church, the Albany and many other historic buildings.

“But there is still much more to be done. Unfortunately some owners do not accept their responsibilities as custodians of the city’s heritage and this programme tries to ensure that their attitude does not result in buildings being lost.”

Daily Post
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Just launched my new website @ Buildings at Risk

It's still an ongoing project as a, I need to put some better video's up and b, I've got about 4 pages to go.

But you get the idea

Hello cadfael
    One of the building on your At risk site is Kiln Hey.
    Here is a picture of the fireplace in the drawing room dated 1888.
    There are a few more of the interior i have found on the English Heritage site

(Picture) English Heritage

Wow - great find. I'll take a look at your site now Cad.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Hello cadfael
    One of the building on your At risk site is Kiln Hey.
    Here is a picture of the fireplace in the drawing room dated 1888.
    There are a few more of the interior i have found on the English Heritage site

(Picture) English Heritage

Aye, you'll find the link to the pictures on the top of the page of Kiln Hey

Me mum used to work in that building when it was Alder Grange and had I not been seriously ill when it closed down, I'd have gone along to take lots of pictures

Blog Entries

Nice website Cadfael with some very good and high beliefs behind it... (not to mention pictures) but I fail to see what it hopes to achieve.

With the exception of Sandfield Tower, St James and St Lukes there is minor historical merit to the other buildings listed. Sure they are nice buildings but are they important to the heritage of the city and the country?

St John's is a relic of a congregation that is not there, it is not of particular note for either it's architecture or it's status, it is simply now an impediment to progress and regeneration.

A similar thing may be said of the Edge Lane Houses... although there are many political and practical claims for their retention it would be wrong to class them as 'at risk' in the same way as noteworthy buildings such as St James or St Luke both of which are on the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register already and will probably never be allowed to be demolished.

Sandfield Tower is a noteworthy and important building but is already a listed building meaning it cannot be demolished or developed without consultation. It's a shame it is in such a state but I believe you already have a website about it - why another?

As for the others... whilst the Smithdown Lane stableyard is important the remaining parts are in terrible condition and cause an unslighly eyesore in the local area. Also part of the stableyard complex has already been saved and restored (as the Williamson Tunnels Heritage Centre) and has had a horse resident for the past four years or so, your website fails to mention anything about that.

Kiln Hey has nothing noteworthy about it save it's Cookson Window whatever that is, (Google has nothing) and you infer that plans are underway to turn it into apartments thus preserving the staircase and window - so it's not really at risk is it?

Like I said, a nice idea, well executed but I can't see much of an overall aim behind it.

I think that with your talent as a web designer you would be better off creating websites that instead of soap-boxing for public outcry gather, preserve, digitize and publicise the information, images and documents that relate to these buildings - creating an archive that - even if the buildings are lost - can serve to show us an in-depth insight into our past.

Sorry if this seems like a rant - it isn't meant to be, and please take everything i've said with good grace as constructive criticism rather than an attack.

Not at all, it's a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The website serves two purposes really, a, for me and b, as a gateway to some of the websites I have created on our buildings in liverpool.

The website isn't there to rant at the City Council nor is it there to try and fix the problem, it is simply going to be an on-going project highlighting our building at risk. I'm not giving out solutions, I'm just letting people see what I have done and where I have been on locations and hope to share what I have filmed and taken pictures of in an easy to read website.

You get out of a website what you wish, there is no rant behind it, simply directing people to places that they may not have been in to before and giving them the chance to see what goes on behind the scenes. With the exception of a couple of pages, all of the pages have a website link to my main website which highlights what I believe to be the problems and solutions with each project.

The website is not an exhaustive information portal, simply setting the scene of which the website links directs you to the main page.

If it doesn't interest you or you don't agree with it, then simply move on.

"St John's is a relic of a congregation that is not there, it is not of particular note for either it's architecture or it's status, it is simply now an impediment to progress and regeneration."

Precisely the argument that was used through the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s to clear away a lot of stuff we now rather wish we'd kept.

And it must be a very small "regeneration" site that can't make room in the overall layout for a church tower with a footprint only about 30 feet square.

Blog Entries

Ha ha, I can't believe you have used that hackneyed argument! Read it again,

"the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s to clear away a lot of stuff we now rather wish we'd kept"

So you would rather the world as it was in 1950? With tenements and courts? With grinding poverty in poorly built sub-standard Victorian ruins? You cannot compare the destruction of St Johns to the mass-redevelopment of the 1960s.

Yes, mistakes were made and often buildings that could have been saved were demolished, important ones (Sailors Home - an architectual marvel, Customs House, ditto, Overhead Railway - historical as an early light railway system, Cavern- they must have been on drugs to demolish that!), but who remembers the hundreds of crap Victorian warehouses and slums they demolished? Who laments them? No-one because they were architectually and historically unimportant on their own. They were just empty relics of the past.

It is only now, when we are running out of Victorian warehouses that we must take care to preserve the important/significant ones, ditto with St Johns church. Unlike the developers in the past, modern builders have an obligation to record and preserve the facts about whatever they destroy, they are much more sensitive to local issues and I feel the fact that the tower has been saved as vindicating this fact.

Default Garston Hospital

Plans are afoot to demolish this delightful building in Garston and to replace with a modern stainless steel and brick building. Surely some way can be found to save the facade of what is one of the few remaining buildings of architecural merit in Garston.

Default Garston Hospital

"Too True"! Taffy, There is no reason why the main (and I believe only!) block can't be saved and used as a administrative area! wards and other services can be built adjoining this block, surely there is room for that?

Don`t forget the small buidings too.
    This is 28 Gateacre Brow designed by Aubrey Thomas,built in 1889 who also designed the Liver Buildings.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Default My Round

I have walked past many times as a binman,never forget to tip.
    Last edited by Paddy; 01-21-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Good pic GD
    It's about time someone stepped off the bulldozer too

Default Ball and Chain

There is plenty of dereliction to be getting on with.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast