Thread: Cycling Networks

Blog Entries

Default Cycling Networks

A NATIONAL project to create a new cycling and walking route through Liverpool has won £50m.

The Connect2 scheme, which topped a public vote in The Big Lottery Fund’s contest, The People’s £50m, will create a route from Everton Park to the city’s quayside.

Four organisations, including cycling charity Sustrans, which is running the project, were shortlisted in the contest decided by public vote on ITV1.

Sustrans will improve local travel in 79 communities across the UK by building walking and cycling bridges and tunnels, developing links, and even re-instating a ferry. It is also hoped Connect2 will bring people closer together by making journeys quicker, healthier and more convenient.

The Liverpool scheme starts in Everton Park and then follows the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, and in the long term will continue to Stanley Dock and the quayside.

Cllr Eddie Clein, chairman of Liverpool Cycling Forum, said: “This is great news and I would like to thank everybody who supported Connect2.”

John Grimshaw, chief executive of Sustrans said: “This is a fantastic Christmas present. We are delighted that Sustrans’ Connect2 has proved itself the people’s favourite.”

IN CHESTER, a pedestrian bridge over the River Dee will be created a mile upstream from Queen’s Park Bridge, connecting to existing routes.

IC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Good news. But I hope they do it properly. I'm very wary of the National Cycle Network routes, one of them in North Wales took me along the narrow pavement of the A55 (which might as well be a motorway) and then actually across the carriageway at a blind spot. And the NCN theough the lanes in Cheshire isn't very well signposted, and I ended up doing a huge loop and coming back into a village I'd gone through about half an hour before

Invest wisely, Sustrans...