Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool John Moores University Developments

pics will be back - the servers down for maintainance. it is to be sited where the st nicholas centre and car park currently are.

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    That is right - I was a student myself 10 years ago and most of does go on beer
    How much went on pizza and takeaways?

There good for the economy but the money will go to cleaning the mess they leave!

Some complain about having a lack of money and not being able to pay rent and stuff but yet they can go drinking all the time and get so many takeaways! Some get all the money they want from their parents as well so it seems by the nice fancy cars they have.

One of the postives is theres so many babes in my street.

Years ago there was no students here no over half are.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

I know the point u are making Max - its the 'student house culture' and I've seen 'em myself. But we cannot tar all students with the same brush
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Designs on the future
    Jul 13 2006
    EXCLUSIVE by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL'S best young artists will celebrate Capital of Culture in a new academy after a long-awaited project won international support.

European officials today agreed to hand over £2.5m to John Moores University so it can start work on a showcase building in the shadow of the Metropolitan cathedral.

The academy will house up-and-coming artists from JMU's art and design school, as well as a "hothouse" where new cultural businesses will grow.

University staff are already planning a Liverpool fashion week, a Merseyside design fair, international exhibitions and displays by local artists.

The £23.5m academy will replace several older city-centre university buildings, including the art school attended by John Lennon.

Building work is expected to start at the end of the month, with the five-storey complex completed in 2008.

Professor Michael Brown, vice chancellor at JMU, said: "This sends out a strong signal about the importance of investing in art and design.

"The academy will be a launch pad for new talent and exciting business ventures.

"It is highly appropriate that it will open during 2008, when Liverpool becomes European Capital of Culture, but its impact will extend far beyond the year of celebration.

"The academy will ensure that JMU, future generations of students and the city continues to play an influential role in creative arts for decades to come."

The academy will be a showcase for fashion, architecture, interior, product and graphic design and fine art.

Today's grant from the European Objective One is the last big piece in a funding jigsaw put together to pay for the Brownlow Hill complex.

JMU has also launched a fundraising campaign to make sure that it will have the most modern facilities available.

Richard Nutter, Objective One director, said: "The academy will be much more than a land-mark building.

"There is an identified skills shortage in architecture, product and graphic design, printing and photography in Merseyside, which the academy will address.

"Local firms will be able to use the workshops and hi-tech equipment normally beyond their means."

The academy plans are on public display on Friday at the St Nicholas Centre, in Great Orford Street, from noon-2pm.

nick.coligan@liverpool.com

Source: icLiverpool

Discover the Design Academy
    13 July 2006

Open invitation to view LJMU's plans for the new Art and Design Academy

Liverpool John Moores University is saying goodbye to its St Nicholas Centre, which is making way for a new £23.5 million Art and Design Academy.

With work due to start on site in two weeks' time, we would like to give you the chance to find out more about this new Academy, which is certain to become one of Liverpool's newest architectural landmarks when it opens in 2008.

Between 12 noon and 2 pm on Friday 14 July at the St Nicholas Centre (Great Orford Street, Liverpool L3 5YD) you'll be able to see architectural plans plus a scale model of the new development.

You'll also be able to talk to staff from our School of Art and Design and Property Services Division who'll be able to tell you all about the Academy, including its new public art gallery, sculpture garden and cafe.

LJMU believes the new Academy will revolutionise the teaching of art and design in the city while also giving the Metropolitan Cathedral the truly great setting it so rightfully deserves.

Everyone is welcome, so please come along.

Light refreshments will be served.

Source: LJMU News Update

I was wondering if they still had 'Panto day'? And if the magazine 'Pantosphinkz (?) was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymac
    I was wondering if they still had 'Panto day'? And if the magazine 'Pantosphinkz (?) was still around.
    You're showing your age bobbymac. The University of Liverpool charity magazine Pantosphinx hasn't been seen on the streets of the city for some 30 years.

Used to luv the jokes!

PS. The city now has three universities:

• The University of Liverpool - a traditional middle-class academic institution (the original 'red brick' university);

• Liverpool John Moores University (formerly Liverpool Polytechnic) - a modern working-class vocational institution which began life as a Mechanics Institute; and

• Liverpool Hope University (formerly Liverpool Institute of Higher Education) - the latest to acquire university status with a background in religious education and teacher training.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    I know the point u are making Max - its the 'student house culture' and I've seen 'em myself. But we cannot tar all students with the same brush

Can with the ones in my street.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

No Pantosphinx? Darn it all t' hell and back. I loved the jokes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    PS. The city now has three universities:

• The University of Liverpool - a traditional middle-class academic institution (the original 'red brick' university);

• Liverpool John Moores University (formerly Liverpool Polytechnic) - a modern working-class vocational institution which began life as a Mechanics Institute; and

• Liverpool Hope University (formerly Liverpool Institute of Higher Education) - the latest to acquire university status with a background in religious education and teacher training.
    Fame School on track to be a university
    Jul 21 2006
    By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

SIR Paul McCartney's Fame School is on track to becoming a university after winning higher education status from the Government, the Daily Post can reveal.

It means the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts can now apply directly for state funding and could join the city's three other universities by giving out its own degrees by 2008.

It is believed to be the first institute to win the designation after setting up from scratch, and the news timely coincides with its 10th anniversary.

Founding principal Mark Featherstone-Witty said: "This is great news. It is what we have been working towards. It's poetic it has happened in our 10th year.

"It means the city now has four higher education institutes - the three universities and us.

More...

Blog Entries

That's brilliant news Howie. Plus we must have lots of Uni's compared to other cities.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    That's brilliant news Howie. Plus we must have lots of Uni's compared to other cities.
    And I'm sure that we will attract even more students to annoy Max.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    And I'm sure that we will attract even more students to annoy Max.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Third of graduates need no degree
    Jul 23 2006

A third of university graduates are in jobs that do not need a degree, according to new figures.

Many are stacking shelves, washing dishes or working in bars, figures prepared for The Press Association by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) showed.

The news agency said 34.4% of British students who finished their first degrees in 2004-05 and went into full-time jobs were in "non-graduate" work.

More...

Students put £252m a year into Liverpool's coffers
    Aug 7 2006
    By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

LIVERPOOL students are worth £252m a year to the city's economy, a new study has revealed.

More...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast