YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool John Moores University Developments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Liverpool John Moores University Developments

THESE are the first pictures of how Liverpool's new £23m art and design school will look.

Councillors yesterday approved planning permission for the impressive new academy to be built next to the city's Metropolitan Cathedral.

The five storey glass-fronted building will provide a new home for all art and design courses at Liverpool John Moores University under one roof.

more....

ADVERTISING

looks nice
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Man, bloody students are getting too much good treatment in this city!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Man, bloody students are getting too much good treatment in this city!

Yep to much concern for the CITY, than for the PEOPLE.

Thanks

Funny when my mum tells them off for not sorting out their wheelybins. Don't blame her though we have the leave the alleygate doors open for them because they have no key and some of them are even leaving it were it can be burned!

Hate the way some have thrown bin bags in the alley too since they know they don't collect them that way no more and rats tore the bin open and my dog eat of it and got sick!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks

More views of the Art & Design Academy

View of the Academy from Mount
    Pleasant at night

View of the Academy from the
    Metropolitan Cathedral plaza

View of the Academy from Hope Street,
    showing both the building and the new
    public open space

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Funny when my mum tells them off for not sorting out their wheelybins. Don't blame her though we have the leave the alleygate doors open for them because they have no key and some of them are even leaving it were it can be burned!

Hate the way some have thrown bin bags in the alley too since they know they don't collect them that way no more and rats tore the bin open and my dog eat of it and got sick!
    Its about time we gave all those posh students an asbo
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    Yep to much concern for the CITY, than for the PEOPLE.
    Since when have students not been people? Education, Education, Education!
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Education is the key my friend and I don't mean 'that' education Maxy

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Ahh, but your forgetting something, the more students you get into a city, lured by nice new buildings suitied to how their courses work and the facilities they need, the more money they spend.

And students are an important part of any city's economy.

On the whole students are lovely
    Last edited by Wormella; 12-08-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wormella
    Ahh, but your forgetting something, the more students you get into a city, lured by nice new buildings suitied to how their courses work and the facilities they need, the more money they spend.

And students are an important part of any city's economy.

On the whole students are lovely
    That is right - I was a student myself 10 years ago and most of does go on beer

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    That is right - I was a student myself 10 years ago and most of does go on beer
    How much went on pizza and takeaways?

There good for the economy but the money will go to cleaning the mess they leave!

Some complain about having a lack of money and not being able to pay rent and stuff but yet they can go drinking all the time and get so many takeaways! Some get all the money they want from their parents as well so it seems by the nice fancy cars they have.

One of the postives is theres so many babes in my street.

Years ago there was no students here no over half are.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I know the point u are making Max - its the 'student house culture' and I've seen 'em myself. But we cannot tar all students with the same brush

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Designs on the future
    Jul 13 2006
    EXCLUSIVE by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL'S best young artists will celebrate Capital of Culture in a new academy after a long-awaited project won international support.

European officials today agreed to hand over £2.5m to John Moores University so it can start work on a showcase building in the shadow of the Metropolitan cathedral.

The academy will house up-and-coming artists from JMU's art and design school, as well as a "hothouse" where new cultural businesses will grow.

University staff are already planning a Liverpool fashion week, a Merseyside design fair, international exhibitions and displays by local artists.

The £23.5m academy will replace several older city-centre university buildings, including the art school attended by John Lennon.

Building work is expected to start at the end of the month, with the five-storey complex completed in 2008.

Professor Michael Brown, vice chancellor at JMU, said: "This sends out a strong signal about the importance of investing in art and design.

"The academy will be a launch pad for new talent and exciting business ventures.

"It is highly appropriate that it will open during 2008, when Liverpool becomes European Capital of Culture, but its impact will extend far beyond the year of celebration.

"The academy will ensure that JMU, future generations of students and the city continues to play an influential role in creative arts for decades to come."

The academy will be a showcase for fashion, architecture, interior, product and graphic design and fine art.

Today's grant from the European Objective One is the last big piece in a funding jigsaw put together to pay for the Brownlow Hill complex.

JMU has also launched a fundraising campaign to make sure that it will have the most modern facilities available.

Richard Nutter, Objective One director, said: "The academy will be much more than a land-mark building.

"There is an identified skills shortage in architecture, product and graphic design, printing and photography in Merseyside, which the academy will address.

"Local firms will be able to use the workshops and hi-tech equipment normally beyond their means."

The academy plans are on public display on Friday at the St Nicholas Centre, in Great Orford Street, from noon-2pm.

nick.coligan@liverpool.com

Source: icLiverpool

Thanks

Discover the Design Academy
    13 July 2006

Open invitation to view LJMU's plans for the new Art and Design Academy

Liverpool John Moores University is saying goodbye to its St Nicholas Centre, which is making way for a new £23.5 million Art and Design Academy.

With work due to start on site in two weeks' time, we would like to give you the chance to find out more about this new Academy, which is certain to become one of Liverpool's newest architectural landmarks when it opens in 2008.

Between 12 noon and 2 pm on Friday 14 July at the St Nicholas Centre (Great Orford Street, Liverpool L3 5YD) you'll be able to see architectural plans plus a scale model of the new development.

You'll also be able to talk to staff from our School of Art and Design and Property Services Division who'll be able to tell you all about the Academy, including its new public art gallery, sculpture garden and cafe.

LJMU believes the new Academy will revolutionise the teaching of art and design in the city while also giving the Metropolitan Cathedral the truly great setting it so rightfully deserves.

Everyone is welcome, so please come along.

Light refreshments will be served.

Source: LJMU News Update

Thanks

I was wondering if they still had 'Panto day'? And if the magazine 'Pantosphinkz (?) was still around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymac
    I was wondering if they still had 'Panto day'? And if the magazine 'Pantosphinkz (?) was still around.
    You're showing your age bobbymac. The University of Liverpool charity magazine Pantosphinx hasn't been seen on the streets of the city for some 30 years.

Used to luv the jokes!

PS. The city now has three universities:

• The University of Liverpool - a traditional middle-class academic institution (the original 'red brick' university);

• Liverpool John Moores University (formerly Liverpool Polytechnic) - a modern working-class vocational institution which began life as a Mechanics Institute; and

• Liverpool Hope University (formerly Liverpool Institute of Higher Education) - the latest to acquire university status with a background in religious education and teacher training.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    PS. The city now has three universities:

• The University of Liverpool - a traditional middle-class academic institution (the original 'red brick' university);

• Liverpool John Moores University (formerly Liverpool Polytechnic) - a modern working-class vocational institution which began life as a Mechanics Institute; and

• Liverpool Hope University (formerly Liverpool Institute of Higher Education) - the latest to acquire university status with a background in religious education and teacher training.
    Fame School on track to be a university
    Jul 21 2006
    By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

SIR Paul McCartney's Fame School is on track to becoming a university after winning higher education status from the Government, the Daily Post can reveal.

It means the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts can now apply directly for state funding and could join the city's three other universities by giving out its own degrees by 2008.

It is believed to be the first institute to win the designation after setting up from scratch, and the news timely coincides with its 10th anniversary.

Founding principal Mark Featherstone-Witty said: "This is great news. It is what we have been working towards. It's poetic it has happened in our 10th year.

"It means the city now has four higher education institutes - the three universities and us.

More...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's brilliant news Howie. Plus we must have lots of Uni's compared to other cities.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    That's brilliant news Howie. Plus we must have lots of Uni's compared to other cities.
    And I'm sure that we will attract even more students to annoy Max.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    I know the point u are making Max - its the 'student house culture' and I've seen 'em myself. But we cannot tar all students with the same brush

Can with the ones in my street.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks

No Pantosphinx? Darn it all t' hell and back. I loved the jokes too.

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse
    Since when have students not been people? Education, Education, Education!
    Oh don't get me wrong, students are great, and they do bring in business to the city, my point being is that, all this construction and investment benefits who, which segment of the populace benefits again?

Thanks

Pays my wages which pays the wages of the bar staff in the Ship & Mitre et al.

FKoE

So a new university campus is built, the breweries get rich!!! and the students and staff get bevvied... I like it

Thanks

Think it's known as 'trickle down' economics.

Thanks

I was just trying to figure out where this was going to be built, is it on the site ofthe Irish Centre? Howie's 'More views of the Art & Design Academy' pics seem to have disappeared! Hope that's not a bad omen, after all the phantom tram ran around there...or did it?
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Thanks

pics will be back - the servers down for maintainance. it is to be sited where the st nicholas centre and car park currently are.

Thanks

Default Byrom Street

£20million new science building
    11 December 2007

The first phase of LJMU's 10 year vision for its City Campus was unveiled with the submission of a planning application to develop a new £20million purpose-built science building at Byrom Street.

Subject to planning permission, work is due to start on the new building in April 2008, with completion due for the start of the first semester in 2009.

The development will enable LJMU to consolidate the majority of its teaching and research in science and technology within one strategic Liverpool city centre site.

Professor Michael Brown, LJMU's Vice Chancellor explained: "According to The Guardian, LJMU is the top ranking university in the North West for delivering research that has real impact. This new building has been designed to accommodate laboratories with advanced facilities that will enable us to take our science research, particularly in the area of sport and exercise sciences, in new and exciting directions.

"LJMU is a university with a new approach to higher education and our talented academics and researchers need facilities that will enable them to continue delivering outstanding research results. We are also striving to become the university whose graduates are most valued by employers. But in order to have 'fit for purpose' graduates you need 'fit for purpose' buildings, where students can gain both a thorough grounding of their chosen academic discipline and secure vital work-related skills and experience. That's why this new science building is just the beginning of our plans for Byrom Street and our City Campus. Over the next 10 years, we are planning to invest a further £80million so that we can provide the highest quality facilities for our students, staff and partners."

Situated on a major route into the city and accommodating the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Technology and Environment, Byrom Street is one of LJMU's major landmarks.

The new science building, designed by architects at Austin Smith Lord, Liverpool, will enable LJMU to relocate two academic Schools in the Faculty of Science (Psychology and Sport and Exercise Sciences) from the Henry Cotton Building (Webster Street L3) to Byrom Street. Around 50% of the new building's 6,400 sq.metre floorspace will be given over to specialist teaching and research laboratories, with the remainder being used for teaching, IT suites and staff accommodation. Given the variable topography of the site and the close proximity of suburban housing along its perimeter, the building has a stepped design, which architect Dominic Wilkinson describes as a being a "box within a box".

Access to the building will be via a double height foyer with cascading staircase and small café. An interior "box", on the lower and upper ground floors, will house specialist sport and exercise science labs. Many of these require very controlled environments and minimal natural light, such as the sleep lab (or temporal isolation laboratory), which is used by LJMU scientists analysing the role of the human body clock to manipulate waking and sleeping cycles.

LJMU's School of Sport and Exercise Sciences is ranked as the UK's number one for both teaching and research in this field. The specialist facilities housed within the new building reflect the School's elite status and will include an indoor 70-metre running track and labs for testing cardio-vascular ability, motor skills and bio-mechanics functions. The building will also have additional biochemistry and psychology teaching labs.

Whereas the labs are highly specialised in design, the general staff and teaching accommodation is designed to be very flexible. As far as possible, layouts have been 'future proofed' to ensure that they can be easily adapted for different uses, with ancillary uses and services clustered together in designated zones.

The building is divided into two main blocks, with the higher 5-storey section located towards the main entrance of Bryom Street and the lower 3-storey element located to the rear. The circulation block will be clad in slate grey eternity panels, set against a glass skin made up of cast glass planks that will give the building a high degree of transparency. When looked at obliquely, these glass panels will also give off a shimmering effect bringing a degree of movement and lightness to the facade.

LJMU is aiming to achieve the BRE's BREAM environmental rating of 'very good' for the new building, which will use a Biomass boiler burning UK-sourced wood pellets and a rain water harvesting system.

Architect Dominic Wilkinson said: "This has been a very challenging project that has pushed us to find creative ways to accommodate both the needs of students and staff with the very specialist requirements of research labs. We opted for the double height entrance foyer because we wanted to give the building a sense of drama, to give people a real sense of arrival when they entered the building. As this building is just the first phase of a master plan for Byrom Street, we hope that it sets a high benchmark for future developments on the site."

Pictures:

• Top - Artist's impression of the proposed new £20 million science building
    • Middle - Artist's impression of the Byrom Street campus showing the location of the new building in relation to existing facilities.

Thanks

New sports science facility opens
    12 December 2007

£1.5million Centre promotes work-related learning and enhanced graduate skills development

The School of Sport and Exercise Sciences official opening of its new £1.5million Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning facility (pictured above) attracted an audience of 100+ key stakeholders from elite sporting organisations and clubs, sports equipment manufacturers, health professionals and community organisations.

The new state-of-the-art learning environment exemplifies LJMU's new approach to higher education, where high quality research is being harnessed to give students opportunities to gain work-related learning experiences that will enhance their professional skills and employability. During the lively launch event guests took part in 'CETL in Action' taster sessions, which included testing the facility's new strength and conditioning equipment, finding out more about support services for the University's elite sports scholars and feeling the impact of active gaming using a Nintendo Wii.

LJMU secured £4.85million from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) three years ago in recognition of its teaching excellence in the fields of PE, Dance, Sport and Exercise Sciences. New facilities have already opened in the Faculty of Education, Community and Leisure, and the completion of the Sport and Exercise Sciences building marks the end of the planned CETL infrastructure developments. Professor Tim Cable, Director of the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, explains: "We're raising the bar on what we expect from students and the pressure is now on them to perform by engaging effectively with work-related learning, either in our CETL building, in the labs or out in the workplace."

Professor Cable stresses that the School's CETL activities are integral to the University's teaching and learning strategy, making both the sport and exercise sciences degrees more applied and experiential, and providing best practice models for colleagues across LJMU. "Over the last three years we've been busy developing facilities that directly impact on student employability, transforming the curriculum and looking at ways to make both staff and students more entrepreneurial," he says. "Conceptually this has been a big shift but all of the changes we've made have been underpinned by sound scientific processes. This was very important to us and now all staff are fully engaged with what we are trying to do."

Activities within the new Centre will focus on two core areas: elite performance and community health and fitness. Thanks to CETL funding, the School has been able to employ two Sport Science Support Officers who are identifying opportunities for students to engage with work-related learning, either through 'hands on' projects or simulated activities as part of their degree studies. They also work closely with students and placement mentors to encourage and monitor the development of their world of work skills.

The Centre's Human Performance Unit is designed to enable LJMU's sport and exercise scientists to work with elite athletes, developing bespoke training and assessment programmes. The current list of clients includes Premier League Football Clubs such as Manchester Utd FC, Everton FC and Liverpool FC, reflecting the School's status as the UK's top sport sciences department. While students won't engage directly with these elite athletes, this work enriches the curriculum, giving them insights on professional practice through problem-based learning and demonstrations.

Students also work directly with individuals, albeit under supervision, taking part in community health and fitness research. This research is examining the role that exercise plays in healthy ageing and disease prevention, with a particular focus on specific groups, such as people suffering from heart disease or osteoporosis, the elderly or the obese. Such engagement will not only enhance the students' understanding of research design and delivery, but also the development of 'soft' skills, such as emotional intelligence, empathy and interpersonal skills.

Staff are also benefiting from the CETL funding, with enhanced sabbatical opportunities where they can spend from six months to a year working with employers, identifying the key skills required by graduates and ways to embed this within the curriculum. Postgraduate students will also be able to apply for sports science internships, working alongside the Sport Science Support Officers. The first of these internships will be announced in the new year.

Professor Cable continues: "Our new approach has already paid dividends, as we've more than doubled our enterprise income, from £150K to £330K, and that was before the new facility was finished. By 2010, we are aiming to generate an income of £700K and increase our profit margins. This will enable us to maintain staffing levels and make all of our activities sustainable by the time the CETL funding finishes in two years."

Thanks

I remember them building that highest block in the render shown above. We lived in Gerard Crescent's Thurlow House at the time and our back veranda overlooked the Tysons site with the two massive cranes there. I had to rush in and get my lego out then
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast