Thread: Fazakerley Hospital

Blog Entries

Default Fazakerley Hospital

A LOTTERY-funded project charting the history of Liverpool’s Fazakerley hospital has been unveiled.

Artwork, photographs and theatre are being used to showcase the history of Aintree University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

The permanent exhibition is funded by the Lottery’s Local Heritage Initiative.

Five artists and a playwright were each commissioned to create a piece of art which represents their take on an historical aspect of the hospital.

Laurence Payot, Norma Heron, Mark Mennell, Jemma Egan and the artist known only as Vik have spent the past few months working on individual projects.

Arts co-ordinator Paula O’Malley said: ““This is something that everyone who has ever been to the hospital will no doubt be interested in.

Each of the art pieces will be placed around the hospital site.

Actress and writer Emma Vaudrey has penned a short drama based on the history of the hospital, which children from St Benedict’s, in Netherton, will act out during the evening on December 10.

And a temporary photographic exhibition is also on show at the Walton site featuring never-before-seen images of the hospital.

IC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Partsky

Its good that the history of the hospital is being recorded. I grew up near to it after being moved from Wavertree with my Dad, who had been hurt in the War. He had TB and the area around the hospital was then called a "Clean air area" not much housing and loaks of fields on the kirkby side. People actually got moved to the area to access the hospital which was then regarded as a sanitorium. At the time the hospital had its own farm and it was like Fort Knox. My Mates Mum had TB and she could only visit once a month to see her Mum. She was in hospital for years as people were then. She was in the "Woodlands" block which was set back in the green area of the hospital in pavillion type bungalow accomodation. The patients were made to sit on the verandah wrapped up in blankets to take the air. That was in the 50s and 60s. It was the end of the TB and polio era but people still lived in fear of both those. Does anyone remember the lodges set around the hospital where you could not get in unless the stafff let you. My friends Mum spent much of her life there from her early twenties, dying in her early forties as an indirect result of the Tb. most of the pavillions are still there but used mainly for storage etc although I gather some are wards still.

Smile Fazakerley hospital

It was good to read that the hospital is being remembered. Between the late 20's and early 30's my mum was a patient there. She never admitted to having Tb but said she stayed about a year and about once a month her father would visit, her mum was also in frail health and could not make the journey from Anfield. She said that sometimes they slept outdoors. Unfortunalty she would not say much about it because the stigma of TB remained all her life. If any one could tell me where the records are and any other information about the hospital i would be very grateful.

It was the end of the TB and polio era but people still lived in fear of both those.
    Old thread I know but....TB is still alive and killing it willnever be wiped out and only the treatent taken can save a life.

A life was taken because this man a Morrocan whom I knew brought into the county with him and refused to stay in hospital and take the treatment course,what I don't understand was the hospital letting him out knowing he wouldn't take the antibiotics regulary and therefore also spreading this disease on othes by his constant coughing and supping pints in the local pub ect,ect

The guy is dead now but the facts remain that hospitals should admit cases of TB or other infectious killing diseases indefinate until they're cured if they can be cured?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules60 View Post
    It was good to read that the hospital is being remembered. Between the late 20's and early 30's my mum was a patient there. She never admitted to having Tb but said she stayed about a year and about once a month her father would visit, her mum was also in frail health and could not make the journey from Anfield. She said that sometimes they slept outdoors. Unfortunalty she would not say much about it because the stigma of TB remained all her life. If any one could tell me where the records are and any other information about the hospital i would be very grateful.
    Hi Jules60,and welcome to Yo! Re' hospital records,have you tried contacting anyone at Fazakerley? If they dont hold their own records, I'm sure they can tell you where to look for these!