I've been around my old haunt a few times, photographing it when it was used as an assembly point and for teas for the local residents who attended the unveiling of the 'Little Italy' plaque on Christian Street.

I remember Ron Formby, Ray Baccino, Tommy and Alice O'Keeffe were among the old stalwarts who were exchanging memories and showing old photographs of the area. Dave Wood of Liverpool Pictorial also made the journey.

St Joseph's church was opened in 1845 in a building which had formerly been dedicated as All Saints CofE built in 1798. In 1876 the building collapsed and steps were immediately taken to provide a new church. The foundation stone of St Joseph's was laid on 15th August 1876 and the church opened by Bishop O'Reilly on 19th March 1878.

The school attached to St Joseph's church was named after Alexander Goss, Bishop of Liverpool 1856-1872. The necessary money was raised by subscriptions and donations and the school opened by the Vicar-General, Monsignor Fisher on 16th April 1877.

This church and school would serve my grand parents, parents, my brother and I and later my own children.

The main church fell into disrepair due to dry rot in the roof and was demolished in 1979, the church moving into the old part of the school until it too closed in 2001 due to re-organisation of the local churches.

This photo shows the church that was demolished in 1979, the presbytery dating from 1877 and the club as was in the 1960s.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

An original fire surround removed from the Presbytery and dated 1877, during recent renovations of the building into apartments.

The original old school which once formed the seniors block. This was before St Gregory's was built on Prince Edwin St in the early 60s, pupils would remain in Bishop Goss from age 5 to 15 when they left. Part of this building was used by us infants in 1967 before graduating to the newer red brick building which housed the Juniors in the late 60/early 70s. At age 11, we would then move onto the big school up the road, the old senior block now becoming obsolete.

The old building is currently undergoing renovation so lots of the original brickwork is visible as are the fireplaces, arches and ceilings.

The newer red brick building, built at a time when a number of similar ones such as St Johns, Kirkdale and Wellington Road school were built. The rooftop was a playground. Hopscotch children's nursery is now based in this building.

(This pic by Joe Devine)

These photos show the new £30,000 extension on 11.5.69. This building incorporated staff offices, an assembly hall and kitchens for school dinners. The North Liverpool Regeneration Co. now operate from here.