Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOP AT RED LIGHT?

Default STOP AT RED LIGHT?

I drive past these signs on Townsend lane,quite often,but The other day I actually wondered what they were for,as it seems daft warning drivers to stop at a red light....and there's 2 of them?????

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOWNSEND LANE1.JPG 
Views:	1037 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	24369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOWNSEND LANE3.JPG 
Views:	999 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	24370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOWNSEND LANE2.JPG 
Views:	1044 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	24371  

Are there two stop lines?

I can see why..

There are two sets of lights close to each other. I bet people were looking at the far set of lights and stopping at the second stop line by mistake.

It's a wierd intersection, I can see why mistakes could be made -

http://g.co/maps/drjg9

Blog Entries

What is needed perhaps is a shot at the first stop line. It looks as though there is a cycle-lane coloured strip across the road where the stop line(s) is/are, for bikes to go right in front of the stopped cars

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    What is needed perhaps is a shot at the first stop line. It looks as though there is a cycle-lane coloured strip across the road where the stop line(s) is/are, for bikes to go right in front of the stopped cars
    Her is the second stop line.

http://g.co/maps/75cy2

The first stop line is lost in the red bicycle crossing , it's hard to see where the actual line is - very poor design

http://g.co/maps/cj55n

Blog Entries

Yup, that is what I thought. Naughty drivers, thanks AZ.

The US standard actually separates the crosswalk markings from a stop line, and the stop line is much wider -

All you ever wanted to know about markings here....

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/services/p...2090/index.htm

Our homeowners assoc has 10 miles of private roads so I sometimes get involved in this stuff.

Blog Entries

Blind drivers must have a hard time with all this.

nah... they can just go by this book - page 35 of chapter 3 says the stop lines shall be 12 to 24 inches wide, and that any crosswalk shall be 4 ft away from the stop line. Cross walk lines shall be 6 to 12 inches wide.

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009/part3.pdf Chapter 3 only

Whole document here - http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009/pdf_index.htm

Looks like the UK standards needs to be made clearer.... This Federal document is an attempt to get states to standardise their markings and signs - it's worked because the Feds have the Highway Funds purse strings...

They also probably have a braille version of this book...

Our assoc does buy a lot of signs, so I tried to see which US one would be closest to the blue signs in the first post. I think it's this one -

A blue sign in the US is general services information, and nothing to do with traffic control - such as -

Blog Entries

Over here, in the rush to accommodate cyclists there is bound to be some overlap. There are also some very short cycle paths of a few metres. This here is somebody trying to make it safer for cyclists to turn right and it has to better that they steam on and just do it rather than wait around for...more white paint.

I just wonder how many drivers look at them and say "Yeh,I know,that's what red lights mean"! Do they serve any practical purpose? I got beeped,for stopping to study them!

Blog Entries

Zooming out from Az's map I can see this is a bit of a race track, merging and de-merging from two-way to one-way and back. I suppose it's all down to the timing and sequence of the lights. Cyclist would be risking life and limb tuning into Maiden's Lane while the lights were green. Why the central reservation too? They could put a filter turning right at the junction and stream all traffic at the de-merger point...what do I know?

There was a serious road accident on this road a while back when a woman was killed. They've since added umpteen changes to the road signage and road layout.
    There was a school there which has since been demolished and in it's place we now have a new Health centre....it is still a very busy thoroughfare.
    The whole Anfield area has been inundated with an abundance of road signs since the residents parking Zone came into play too. They must have used hundreds of gallons of road paint and made the road sign makers millionaire's!!!! And they are still making changes............Lynholme Road for example...........coming from Cherry Lane along Utting Avenue.....you can no longer turn left along Lynholme......so yet again more signs!!!

this is a new(ish) set of lights to aid 2 cars an hour who want to cross townsend.. the stop line on maiden is so far back by time u have crossed stop line ready to turn the lights have changed.
    as for the stupid cycle lane come on willya WHEN WAS LAST TIME YOU SAW A CYCLIST STOP AT A SET OF LIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by scouseman101 View Post
    this is a new(ish) set of lights to aid 2 cars an hour who want to cross townsend.. the stop line on maiden is so far back by time u have crossed stop line ready to turn the lights have changed.
    as for the stupid cycle lane come on willya WHEN WAS LAST TIME YOU SAW A CYCLIST STOP AT A SET OF LIGHTS

Only once i have seen a cyclist obey a red light anywhere local.They risk their lives pushing through the traffic or mount the pavements and cut across.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast