Thread: 'Progress'! or "Spoiling'!!

Default 'Progress'! or "Spoiling'!!

I know there is a continuing need for progress, and the need to house everyone is essential, BUT! here in Auckland City there are hundreds of high rise apartments that are empty (mainly due to high cost of renting!) and the Real Estate Agents have literally thousands of homes advertised every day in local newspapers, etc. But 'Developers' have to make their 'millions' so the following photo's show what happens! This land was the dividing boundary between two 'counties' Auckland and Rodney, so was considered to be safe from developerment! ("fools are we to believe that"). The developer's persuaded both area councils to 'swap' land' (you have this part and we'll have that part') and thus allowed them to develop the area for more housing. This is the hill behind where I live, and to the right of it is the Marine reserve and the Beach at Long Bay, I know some will say it's 'sour grapes' on my part, but i wonder if it's really necessary? the houses to be built there are priced far above the ability of the average family or young couple in need! "OK rant over! I feel better now!"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Long Bay Hill 'before'.jpg 
Views:	1130 
Size:	950.1 KB 
ID:	24356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Long Bay Hill 'Before' (2).jpg 
Views:	1109 
Size:	984.6 KB 
ID:	24357 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01104.JPG 
Views:	1139 
Size:	701.5 KB 
ID:	24358 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01105.JPG 
Views:	1115 
Size:	743.2 KB 
ID:	24359
    1st twoBefore, and How it looks now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01101.JPG 
Views:	1015 
Size:	687.9 KB 
ID:	24355  

The developer's persuaded both area councils to 'swap' land' (you have this part and we'll have that part') and thus allowed them to develop the area for more housing.

That sort of **** going on behind closed doors is what got our previous mayor and a lot of the Town Council removed at election time...

Land swaps often seem to be a smoke screen to allow development - the old council swapped land and got a trailhead - but it has no good public access in, and the developer won't let the trail out of it go through his gated area. It's now known as the "trailhead to nowhere"....

Guess it's happening in most developed countries nowdays, Az, we're getting 'shafted' all ways! our previous North Shore Council was amalgamated into the Greater Auckland Council last year, since then our rates have increased! and are to be further increased in June this year! plus the area is being over developed so that the Auckland council can increase revenue from rates. The old american saying of:-"You can't fight city Hall" certainly fits the bill here now!!!

The old american saying of:-"You can't fight city Hall" certainly fits the bill here now!!!

But you can - just start turning up to their meetings and asking questions....

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    The old american saying of:-"You can't fight city Hall" certainly fits the bill here now!!!

But you can - just start turning up to their meetings and asking questions....
    True....they only do it,and get away with it,due to the apathy,or ignorance of the electorate,and they certainly like to preserve that aspect of the status quo!!

Blog Entries

To the question, Norm. I'd say definitely spoiling it.
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    True....they only do it,and get away with it,due to the apathy,or ignorance of the electorate,and they certainly like to preserve that aspect of the status quo!!
    It might be a bit easier in the US since we actually have many more elected positions.

At the county level NZ might be a bit like AZ... our county is 18% the area of England... and a little harder to keep track of stuff....