Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping on the Mersey

Default Shipping on the Mersey

Hi All,
    I would like to introduce myself and let you know of my site about shipping on the mersey ,would be interested to hear about anything regarding the hey days of the docks and look forward to the forum.
    Al

http://www.shipsofthemersey.me.uk

Blog Entries

Hi Al

A warm welcome aboard Yo! Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hi Al
    Some very nice pics mate and a nice site.
    Welcome to YoLiverpool. The Site of Sites.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Blog Entries

When I was with Harrison Line in Canada Dock, the nearest pub was the Dominion (the Dommie) and the next one up was the Griffin.

When overseas, if there were any bars nearby the nearest would always be called the Dommie and the next the Griffin. Not a lot of ports were you're near enough to bars to do it but fun when you could.

Al,
    There's a good book on the history of Harrison Line 'Harrisons of Liverpool' by Graeme Cubbin. It's got the history, and pictures, of all the ships and is pretty impressive. 'Cubby' was a Captain - never sailed with him but met him once.

Kevin.

To see colour pics of the Dommie and the Griffin - click below.

http://pic7.piczo.com/go/pageeditor?&linkvar=000003

Both previous watering holes of mine on my treks to the docks with Customs and Excise 'Out of charge notes' on Canary Tomatoes into N. Hornby dock.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi Kev,
    Thanks for the info sounds like a good book will look out for it. i dont suppose you know of anyone who has any old photos prints or slides of the ships that would be willing to sell! from the Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal 1950s to 1980s?
    Al

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphab View Post
    Hi Kev,
    Thanks for the info sounds like a good book will look out for it. i dont suppose you know of anyone who has any old photos prints or slides of the ships that would be willing to sell! from the Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal 1950s to 1980s?
    Al
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrisons-Li.../dp/1901703487

Sorry - no. When I first joined we often used to go up the ship canal on our return from the West Indies. Once the container ships took over the WI route the canal was no longer used by us.

Got lots of old photos stashed away somewhere - just none of the canal. If I get round to digging them out at any stage (not even sure where they are) I'll scan and post a few.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrisons-Li.../dp/1901703487

Sorry - no. When I first joined we often used to go up the ship canal on our return from the West Indies. Once the container ships took over the WI route the canal was no longer used by us.

Got lots of old photos stashed away somewhere - just none of the canal. If I get round to digging them out at any stage (not even sure where they are) I'll scan and post a few.
    Thanks Kevin look forward to seeing them Al

Default Bramley Moore Tug Before During and just after WW2

Hi Kev,I'm a new boy circa 1932.Capt Alfred Edward Berry,my grandad was skipper as in Title.He was a Dock Gateman in 1897 and Married a Minnie Hendry,her husband Henry John Hendry had died.They must have been mates.All his recorgds with The Alexander Towing Co.Were destroyed in the Blitz.I am just waitng on his birth certificate.Have his marriage and Birth ones.He took me to the docks a couple of times(lots).Can remember a Liberty Ship coming in and its accomadation was gutted.Most of the Hudson Bombers on the Deck seemed to be OK.Quite a few body bags lay on the dock when he took me home when he finished .I was wondering if anyone might have or where I might find a couple of photos of the BM.Have a very small one of her.I remember he retired just after the war at 76 and lived till he was 86 yrs 1955.His nick name was "Stiffy" or "Starchy" I think.Also the other grandad was an Engineer WW1 (one)Thomas Edward Lunt.He was torpedoed or mined early in the WW1,was in a lifeboat for quite a few days and had both legs below the knees amputated.My Mums Dad.Unfortunately have his BDM' Certificates.Know nothing about him as the family left him as he became pretty bad.Its a great site Kev and am reaally going to enjoy browsing.Getting a Bit of Mersey Mist in My Eyes Best Regards to All Ken B

Default SS Great Eastern

I once read that SS Great Eastern was broken up for scrap on the Mersey at Rock Ferry does anybody have any pics or further info?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Seven View Post
    I once read that SS Great Eastern was broken up for scrap on the Mersey at Rock Ferry does anybody have any pics or further info?
    Google is your friend - the first hit.

Great Eastern

The main mast was floated over the Mersey and hauled by horses to Anfield Football Ground. It is a flagpole at the back of the Kop.

Passing New Brighton:
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Smile Great Eastern info.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Seven View Post
    My great grandad was a steward on the Great Eastern ,and met his wife on board. She was a stewardess. They married in Hobocken N.Y. When they left the sea , they kept a pub in Bevington Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Google is your friend - the first hit.

Great Eastern

The main mast was floated over the Mersey and hauled by horses to Anfield Football Ground. It is a flagpole at the back of the Kop.

Passing New Brighton:
    Thank you Waterways

Hi All,Found out about 3Rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt.He was on his way from Bostom Mass.USA to Liverpoolon bosrd the S.S.Sagamore.Having left Boston 23rd February 1917.On the 3rd of March the ship was !50 miles West of Fasnet. German Submarine U-49 hit het Port side Amidships with one torpedoe.She sank within 30 minutes.Only three lifeboats were launched with survivors in each one.Overnight a big Gale came up and dispersed the lifeboats and two were never seen again.The one left had 17 survivors on board including my Grandad.On the 12th March 1917,The Blue Funnel Ship "Deucalion" spotted the lifeboat only 7 survivors were left.She headed for Capetown and they were taken ashore.5 had to have their feet amputated immediately,due to Frostbite and Gangrene.My Grandad didn't but got back to the UK and My Mum said it was pretty tough for him till they took his legs off at the Knees 1921.I spoke to my own Doc about it and it was lack of drugs and Knowledge especially with the Gangrene as the gas is in the flesh etc and flares up.Mum did say they would taake a couple of toes off and bits of flesh till they took them up to his knees completely.I'd like to Thank People who have tried to help me.The first clue was I thought with him loosing his legs he would have some kind of Pension.The SPVA,had a small piece of Paper that just had on it 3rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt S.S.Sagamore.Operations 1921-22-23.From then on it was great Thanks again to Don Hazeldine,Ted Fench,joller 6 South Africa,Hugh MacClean Scotland,Brue Carson U.S.A. and another guy but thanks every one.I am one "Very Happy Old Fella" Best Regards Ken B

The Great Eastern reduced to a giant floating advertisement for Lewis's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT eastern.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	6684  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast