YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Another pub bites the dust!

  1. #1
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default Another pub bites the dust!

    Here's a picture of where The Crown pub used to be.
    (Is that one of our Yo'ers Graffitti ?)
    [IMG][/IMG]


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I hope they've saved the Tyson Smith sculptures that were on it, I know Pat Neill of Liverpool monuments was trying to arrange it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  3. #3
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Ged,I was gonna try and "aquire" them sculptures.
    I was passing it one day and noticed they hacked one apart.So I can only imagine the others didn't survive.
    I always wondered about who made them,they where brilliant pieces of work.

  4. #4
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I hope they've saved the Tyson Smith sculptures that were on it, I know Pat Neill of Liverpool monuments was trying to arrange it.
    Ged,see if you can find out if any of the sculptures survived.

  5. #5
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I hope they've saved the Tyson Smith sculptures that were on it, I know Pat Neill of Liverpool monuments was trying to arrange it.
    I hope so, too.





    Last edited by PhilipG; 11-26-2007 at 08:02 PM.

  6. #6
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Brilliant pics Philip G.
    I noticed they broke that statue (1st pic) when they started to demolish it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member lottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I thought those statues would be saved. I was only commenting on them just before they started demolision. Lovely statues.
    Life is what you make it

  8. #8
    chippie
    Guest chippie's Avatar

    Default

    Cor Blimey, is that the Crown on Walton Hall Avenue and Long Lane? Not another one of my early watering holes when I used to work along there behind what was Jones Sausage factory (no quips please ha ha)

    I came out of there one night, got into my car and rode towards Kirkby with two of my wheels on the central reservation once, slowly followed by a police car. When I got off the central reservation the police car overtook me on the inside and waved to me as he sped away.

    Luck falls on the richeous, or is it the ridiculous? can,t remember.

    Anyway, that pub was one of my least favourites but my mates and I went there fairly regularly, and now it bites the dust. Good job the Black Bull is still standing.

  9. #9
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Here's the Liverpool monuments link to the sculptures.

    http://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/...e/crown01.html

    He done quite a few around Liverpool.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  10. #10
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Boss them.
    I wonder though Ged if any where saved?

  11. #11
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    Cor Blimey, is that the Crown on Walton Hall Avenue and Long Lane? Not another one of my early watering holes when I used to work along there behind what was Jones Sausage factory (no quips please ha ha)

    I came out of there one night, got into my car and rode towards Kirkby with two of my wheels on the central reservation once, slowly followed by a police car. When I got off the central reservation the police car overtook me on the inside and waved to me as he sped away.

    Luck falls on the richeous, or is it the ridiculous? can,t remember.

    Anyway, that pub was one of my least favourites but my mates and I went there fairly regularly, and now it bites the dust. Good job the Black Bull is still standing.
    The crown was my local Chippie.
    Where was this sausage factory ?

    Oh yeah,the Bull could be next.I went into the Gents for a pee and by god the floor was swimming,rat holes in corners,tiles missing everwhere.
    Do you remember The Blessed Sacrement club which was right by The Bull?
    Well thats's gone too.It's just an empty space now.

  12. #12
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Is that gone !! I went to a 50th birthday do at the Blessed sac.

    I havn't been past that way in a while.

  13. #13
    chippie
    Guest chippie's Avatar

    Default

    Hey now come on Zap, you,ll be asking me next where was the bread factory?

    It was along opposite Jacobs on the other side of the road, behind Sch. you know who,s too, got it now Zap?

    I knew the Blessed Sac was gone also, I went up there not too long ago.

  14. #14
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    Hey now come on Zap, you,ll be asking me next where was the bread factory?

    It was along opposite Jacobs on the other side of the road, behind Sch. you know who,s too, got it now Zap?

    I knew the Blessed Sac was gone also, I went up there not too long ago.
    Can't remember the sausage factory.I remember the bread factory though.Do you recall the tv programme where guns where found on the premises.?
    Chippie,am younger than you remember (and better looking,smelling too probably!!) so maybe it vanished before I was old enough to play out
    I remember "The bullet factory" as we'd call it.We'd go looking for live bullets on the waste ground.Found many too.We used them for keyrings and the likes not for killing.We'd empty the powder out,(what fun it was lighting that) and make necklaces etc.Sometimes we'd jam them in a grid and hit them with a brick.They made a helluva noise.Ahh those where the days

  15. #15
    chippie
    Guest chippie's Avatar

    Default

    It,s funny you should mention the bullets Zap because I was told that our factory was turned into an ammuntion one during the war. I joined the factory in 1970 when I was 18.

  16. #16
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    That's the place.The ammunition factory it was.It's still wasteland now.
    You must remember what was on Taskers site?
    I remember a place we used to go called "The seven sisters".It was along there and had many ponds (probably seven).Hours of fun was spent collecting little stickleback and tadpoles.

  17. #17
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    It's the Aintree Institute that has gone behind the Black Bull isn't it or was that the blessed sacrament club too/or attached?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  18. #18
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    It was called the blessed sacrement the Aintree institute.Right behind the Black bull pub.

  19. #19
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, Phil has posted it up on the pic of the day thread. I have a pic of it too due to its Beatles connection.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  20. #20
    John(Zappa)
    Guest John(Zappa)'s Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    That's the place.The ammunition factory it was.It's still wasteland now.
    You must remember what was on Taskers site?
    I remember a place we used to go called "The seven sisters".It was along there and had many ponds (probably seven).Hours of fun was spent collecting little stickleback and tadpoles.
    CHIPPIE...
    Tell us more about your workplace and your memories!

    Does anyone remember "The seven sisters" ?
    It was by Taskers on Long Lane Aintree.

  21. #21
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Yeah Chippie, we're all waiting !

Similar Threads

  1. There must be some dust in my eye
    By baloffski in forum Scouser Hall of Fame
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!