YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wirral Part of Liverpool's City Map?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Wirral Part of Liverpool's City Map?

AS PART of our Liverpool Map campaign, today we ask one of the most controversial questions of all – is Wirral part of the city’s identity? Should we brick up the Mersey tunnels, or do Wirralian’s deem themselves as Scousers? Read

ADVERTISING

YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    AS PART of our Liverpool Map campaign, today we ask one of the most controversial questions of all – is Wirral part of the city’s identity? Should we brick up the Mersey tunnels, or do Wirralian’s deem themselves as Scousers? Read
    The Wirral would not exist if Liverpool was not there. Wallasey is a sleeper town for Liverpool - a suburb, just as Bootle and Kirkby are.

Birkenhead was a village until Liverpool Docks came about. Then Wallasey Pool was docked in to create Birkenhead Docks - which were deeper than Liverpool's Docks and very near to Liverpool's centre, as Liverpool's docks were stretching along the river north and south away from the centre.

The Liverpool accent is spoken in Liverpool, Bootle Knowsley and the north part of the Wirral . That gives an indication of how close the Wirral is to Liverpool.

What kept the Wirral from being incorporated into Liverpool was:

1. A river (difficult to cross as it is wide)
    2. Counties (Liverpool in Lancashire and the Wirral Cheshire - city did not cross county boundaries)

The transport infrastructure is now excellent with an underground rail system incorporating Wirral to Liverpool and two road tunnels. If the Mersey Barrage goes ahead then there is another transport crossing linking the two sides of the river and bringing the two even closer.

Many families are split between the two sides of the river. Everton FC have 1/3 of their season ticket holders with Wirral post codes.

It is clear the Wirral should be incorporated within the city. Council offices could be split between the two sides of the river with new offices on Birkenhead docks to ensure the Wirral residents they are not under some sort of domination from the big city opposite. A new town hall maybe on the the Liverpool waterfront.

The Wirral has a lot to gain by being a part of a world famous city. Then maybe the river front will be developed being a part of Liverpool planning Dept - their riverline is boring. Come to that, how many buildings on the Wirral stand out?

The Wirral is clearly in the Liverpool socio/economic sphere and always has been. About time they came in from the cold.
    Last edited by Waterways; 11-23-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Love the post WW
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Hi Waterways

I agree with Kev that your post is excellent: meaty and informative.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In addition, many Wirralites, when asked where they live when overseas, often say 'Liverpool'.
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

This Quote in the Daily Post about the play "Brick up the Mersey Tunnels" made me chuckle
    The play was sparked off by a woman who wrote to the Liverpool Echo from Wirral, complaining about the Scouse accent and how it lets down the city that has been chosen as Capital of Culture.

“She worked in Liverpool and used the city when it suited her but, like many others, distanced herself from it.
    I bet if she was on holiday and was asked where she was from, she would say she's from Liverpool....

I was once asked "where does the Mersey Ferry go?"
    My reply was "To where the Posh Scousers live!"

I know the Wirral is connected to Liverpool by the Ferry, and the rail & road Tunnels, but it is still not Liverpool.
    But just what are the City Limits? St Helens is said to be in Merseyside but is much futher away than Birkenhead, even the home of the Grand national horserace is futher away, and Southport futher still. If it is to be a map of "Greater Merseyside" then yes it should get a mention, but if it is going to be a city centre map then most definetly not!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast