Thread: Brunswick Quay plan to transform dockland

Default Brunswick Quay plan to transform dockland

A SECOND attempt is to be made to develop the Brunswick Quay site on Liverpool’s waterfront following the scrapping of a 50-storey skyscraper scheme.

Now developers Ollerton Developments – the new name for previous site owners Maro - have come forward with a vibrant and imaginative mixed-use scheme.

They say their multi-million pound scheme could transform Brunswick Quay waterfront in Liverpool into a public destination.

Instead of the original plan for a huge tower designed by architect Ian Simpson, architects at Studio Egret West plan a series of cylindrical towers topped with roof gardens.

A combination of homes, a spa, bars and restaurants are planned for the site in what is described as a striking development alongside

the river. The development would also create jobs with a café, grocery store and office space adding to the commercial element of the scheme.

Jamey Hargreaves, speaking on behalf of the developers, Ollerton Developments, last night told the Daily Post: “The property mix will comprise apartments of various styles and sizesŠtogether with a substantial number of flexible family homes, as well as commercial space.

“We wanted a scheme that made a clear statement about our desire to create something imaginative and compelling and we feel that Studio Egret West have delivered that.

“We believe our proposals set this development apart from others in the city in the way they provide access to Liverpool’s greatest natural resource – the river.

“Our intention has always been to make this a destination in its own right, not just a place to live, and by opening up the waterfront, creating a public spa and including restaurants, a cafe and bars we will achieve that.”

Christophe Egret, partner at Studio Egret West, said: “We are investigating an original form of development that physically opens up the views to the river Mersey and Liverpool while providing a destination at the edge of the city centre that will be conducive to family life. We look forward to working with Maro to bring our shared vision to fruition.’’

Ollerton Developments is the new name for Maro Developments. The name change follows previous changes in the company’s management structure.

Maro, part owned by Matalan founder John Hargreaves, first put forward a development plan several years ago. It led to a public inquiry with the then local government minister Ruth Kelly dismissing the appeal and refusing planning permission.

In January Maro parted company with Mr Simpson, who also designed Manchester’s tallest building, the 50-storey Beetham Tower on Deansgate.

The Daily Post understands that the new architects and Ollerton executives have been involved in detailed discussions with city planning officers. There have also been meetings with local people as part of a consultation exercise

This all sounds promising,a number of cylindrical towers topped with roof gardens.,restaurants,bars etc.and they're working closely with the council this time.Let's hope for a positive outcome this time.

It sounds good, just as long asit doesnt block the view of the anglican cathedral for those people who long to be back living in Cheshire

Blog Entries

Any further details? Height? Is this to go on the in-filled Toxteth Dock? I hope not, and the dock is excavated with developments are around the water.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

It wont be very tall because that was one of the reasons it was rejected in the first place,I'd say the towers will be in the low 20's.No docks will be filled in for this as far as I'm aware.

not very high! low twentys? that's not high if you live in Woolton, or away from the waterfront!! It's high if you live in the shadow of these things, my view of the river and Wales will be totally blocked. I have lived here 53 years, when it was festooned with squalid tennament blocks and high rises, and now have a view many friends comment on. Jobs!! at minimum wage and for who? 2 zlotys an hour?? Well that's my rant !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    It wont be very tall because that was one of the reasons it was rejected in the first place,I'd say the towers will be in the low 20's.No docks will be filled in for this as far as I'm aware.
    The point is that Toxteth Dock will not be excavated which Maro wanted to do. Will this stumpy blocks be on the in-filled Toxteth Dock?

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    not very high! low twentys? that's not high if you live in Woolton, or away from the waterfront!! It's high if you live in the shadow of these things, my view of the river and Wales will be totally blocked. I have lived here 53 years, when it was festooned with squalid tennament blocks and high rises, and now have a view many friends comment on. Jobs!! at minimum wage and for who? 2 zlotys an hour?? Well that's my rant !!
    One tall thinish block would not block the view. A number of stumpy 20 floor blocks may do.

how it once was?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    Tough luck, times change, we have to move forward.

Default Originally posted by Bugged Boy.

Taken from Place North West

Maro Developments is preparing to submit new plans for the controversial Brunswick Quay site in Liverpool two years after the original designs were thrown out after a public inquiry.

Apparently they are mid rise. we knew they were working on plans from those twee drawings. They have obviously firmed them up in the intervening period and are ready to go.

Fair play for sticking with the city really, after all they had to put up with.