It's about time Ken Dodd became SIR Ken Dodd, he is a great ambassador for Liverpool and has stayed loyal to the city even in her darkest times!

FANS of legendary Liverpool comedian Ken Dodd have launched a campaign calling for him to be knighted.

They want to see the Knotty Ash funnyman, who turned 80 on Thursday, dubbed Sir Ken.

The online petition already boasts 400 hundred signatures including a host of Liverpool celebrities.

Ricky Tomlinson, Jimmy Cricket, Charlie Landsborough, Roy Hood, Bobby Ball, Johnny Vegas and Liverpool council leader Warren Bradley are among the supporters.

When there are enough signatures the petition will be sent to the government department where the New Years Honours List is compiled.

Today campaign organiser Bob Pitt said a knighthood for the so-called Squire of Knotty Ash was long overdue.

The 53-year-old told the ECHO: “I’ve been a fan of Ken Dodd all my life. Fifty five years in showbiz is an amazing achievement.

“You never know what you’re getting with Doddy – I went to a show of his that started at 7.30pm which didn’t end until 1.30am the next morning.

“He does a phenomenal amount of charity work which people don’t get to hear about.

“To be in the business so long it’s no wonder that he’s known as The Guv’nor by all the comedians across the country.”

The Doddy campaign website features a typical picture of Ken wearing a golden crown accompanied by a eulogy detailing his countless showbiz achievements.

Doddy is showing no signs of slowing down and he estimates that he carried out 150 theatre shows and another 100 private gigs and public appearances last year.

The comedian was born in 1927 and got a taste of fame by presenting Punch and Judy shows at school.

He got his big break at the Nottingham Empire in 1954 and started making regular TV appearances five years later.

To support the petition go to www.knighthoodforknottyash.com

luketraynor@liverpoolecho.co.uk