Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which UK Cities Have More Georgian Buildings Than Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I'm not putting Liverpool's Georgian or Georgian-style architecture down, but there is a difference between Bath and Liverpool.

http://images.google.com/images?q=ge...=1&sa=N&tab=wi
    There is and I love Bath and its architecture.
    Bath is very different though in like Edinburgh (and Birkenhead) its Georgian buildings are part of a grand masterplan whereas Liverpool's are more organic. I would say that London's and Dublin's Georgian streets are more comparable to ours because they like Liverpool's are all about spec building by developers who used catalogues to build houses that supposedly reflected good taste (they do IMHO). Bath is more about John Wood's meglomania and obsession with ancient British paganism, Classicism and related ideals. Stunning though. I love liverpools Georgioan (and Georgian style) buildings for the variation of size, scale and uses of the buildings that follow a basic ideal and pattern but allow difference within. Something that cant really be done when everything is planned anmd designed by one architect (and his son)
    Just my opinion of course.
    Other Georgian rich cities Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh, Dublin

You can see how Gambia Terrace was added to at a later date with its different styles.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

John(Zappa)

Hi guy's
    Debz D'Annunzio here hope I’m not going off the subject but a few years back a certain book by the name of "little Italy" was published and it stated that the statues in front of the walker art gallery were of Maria grazia D'Annunzio and her husband Vincenzo Volante, unfortunately this is not true which kind of makes our family look pretty silly. And we don't know where the author got this story from. The statues are of raffael and Michael Angelo and were sculptured by John Warrington Woods a few years before our family even arrived in Liverpool don't want to rant on but whenever I can I like to put the record straight. If there are any other Italians on here and are interested please take a look at myspace debzdannunzio
    Debz

Hi Debz.

There is a thread on this here Yo regarding the old Little Italy area where I came from which gives links to the Scottie Press and Paul Sudbury's film documentary - Gardens of stone and the like - here it is:

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ighlight=italy

John(Zappa)

Hi Ged
    thanks for the link John and i have been looking through all the old pic's for the last hour or so. I wish we still had a proper Little Italy today, my great grandfather came from Atina Italy and first settled in Gerard st and later Claire st, my grandfather lived in Holly st before moving to Blackstock gdns and now i'm in rural Fazakerley. oh and John's sister works with Paul Sudbury and has seen the film he made she was very impressed.
    cheers Debz

The difference you see between georgian Liverpool and georgian bath are more to do with the materials used, not the style. The styling is identical but the materials used are different simply because of where we are situated. Bath had a plentiful supply of sandstone and Liverpool had a plentiful supply of brick because of the vast industry that was located here. In fact some victorian housing in bath is made from sandstone!

Default georgian houses

Would you say the houses on egerton street are georgian also then??? Looking at the pic from the 1960's of ainscough's they do not look to be but when i see modern day ones of the street they do look georgian to me-but i know nowt really about architecture. When were they built on that street anyway-does anyone know. My eyes are not working very well to look at the map previous. Definately need some of those pin hole glasses to retrain my eyes.

PhilipG

Egerton Street is later, rather than earlier.
    Scroll up for the 1836 map.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.

TonyS

Here's a couple of pics.

Canning Street, taken 19th March 2008

Canning Street, from Falkner Square, 26th Feb 2008

Fantastic pics. The second one is beautiful.

Great those Tony. I saw them on SSC.

I'd have said Egerton street was built in Georgian style but I know it was laid out in Victorian times.

thanks everyone-yes i did think it looked victorian in the sixties but more georgian looking now. Those pics of canning street are beautiful-i need more practise with my camera-those pics put me to shame. Will practise next week when im off work-and maybe even take some pics in liverpool. cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12