Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Royal Liverpool Hospital.

Default New Royal Liverpool Hospital.

THIS is the first map showing exactly where health officials want to build the brand new Royal Liverpool hospital.

Land at the south-east corner of the Royal’s city centre site, now used for car parking and blood transfusion and accommodation blocks, has been earmarked for the £400m complex.

The existing 1970s hospital would then be bulldozed freeing up space for future healthcare buildings.

NHS managers today revealed more details of the long-awaited rebuild.

They are now asking thousands of residents and businesses for their views on the project.

The new Royal will:

Be about the same size as the current hospital in terms of floor space, but will be significantly lower, with architects abandoning the outdated “tower” design.

Have two main access points, from West Derby Street and Prescot Street, with ambulances reaching A&E via the planned Hall Lane bypass.

Contain around 1,500 parking spaces, mostly on site, in addition to the current Q Park facility.

Have a landscaped area of open space in the centre of the redeveloped complex.

Hospital officials will now canvass views of about 2,500 residents in neighbouring Kensington Fields before giving a planning application to Liverpool council early next year.

If everything goes to plan the new Royal could open its doors to patients in 2014.

Land at the site’s south-east corner was chosen because it allows the current hospital to still operate while the new complex is built.

Project director Helen Jackson said: “This is the only part of the site where we can develop the new hospital, because we have to keep the existing facility in full use until the new one is built and ready for occupation.

“We have looked in detail at a range of other options and believe this provides us with the best long-term solution.

“Refurbishing the existing site would take at least 12 years and would include significant disruption to services.

“Similarly we considered a move away from the city centre.

“But we cannot find an alternative suitable site and we do not believe it makes clinical sense in moving A&E away from its present location.”

Next year’s outline planning application will focus on how the site will be laid out, with precise details about what the hospital will look like appearing in a full planning application in two or three years’ time.

But health officials are already promising an environmentally-friendly building.

Royal chairwoman Judith Greensmith said: “We want it to be low energy, generating low waste, and supported by a robust green transport policy, so public transport has equal weight to car parking.

“There is already a commitment that we will help local people access jobs, specially during construction.”

A series of public exhibitions is now planned so as many local residents as possible can see the early proposals.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I've edited your post Ged I hope you don't mind.

I'll look forward to seeing the back of that commie block we call a hospital,I hope the architects do a better job this time.

Not at all Paul, that looks a lot better. Will the nurses be looking for some accommodation if that tower block of theirs is coming down, can you put home addresses on here

ps. I see Pembroke Place has been renamed.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info chaps

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    It seems like a waste of money but at least it's still closeish enough to me. The next big hospital is Fazakerley /Aintree which is too far away for people without cars
    Depends were you live. No doubt people who live in Aintree say the
    same about the RLH

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    I had to be transferred to have something done that only Aintree hospital did.It also has an A and E, ITU etc so local people don't really need the Royal if Aintree has more facilities.The Echo said the new Royal will have less beds,hope that isn't true
    I was in Aintree about 3 years ago, not very well at all, I can only
    praise them as they were 100%, but I had to goto the RLH nuclear
    medicine to get my thyroid zapped as it was very over active, they did
    it then back to Aintree into a private room as I was radioactive.
    The problem is bed blocking,ie, patients who can be discharged, but
    for various reasons can't be, and social services either can't or won't
    help, usually the later

That old house at the rear of the hospital (by the car-park) was getting surounded by scaffolding today. I wonder if it's getting demolished. It was mentioned in an earlier thread and is shown at the bottom-right on the plan picture at the start of this thread.

The long building at the rear (bottom-right of the hospital site, by the disabled car-park), was surrounded by hoardings a couple of days ago.
    The old house I mentioned, a couple of post above, was actually being repaired.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The long building at the rear (bottom-right of the hospital site, by the disabled car-park), was surrounded by hoardings a couple of days ago.
    The old house I mentioned, a couple of post above, was actually being repaired.
    Good to hear of the house being repaired. It dates back from the 1800's and used to be a dairy at one point. Up until the 1980's, someone still used to live there. Now passing it about 2 weeks ago, the crack that you see in the front of the house below had come away taking half of the front of the house with it. Excellent to know it is being made safe.

I've got a pic of that house (with a big chunk of brick-work missing). I'll dig it out shortly. In the meantime here's the block that has been surrounded by hoardings.

Here's that building from August 2007.
    A larger pic is available from here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2563250...2001/?edited=1

Marky, check my reply from a while ago.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...shop#post56233
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Here's the mini that was abandoned in the garden of the house.

I desperately wanted to rescue the poor fella
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The proposed Hall Lane link road should go inbetween the church and the white house. I don't yet know what's happening to the hospital block on the left.

Part of the Hospital block near Mount Vernon end, is being demolished. I noticed they've sealed the windows with plastic sheets, whilst stripping-out the interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast