Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any pics of Wavertree road?

Default Any pics of Wavertree road?

Does anyone have any pics of the Wavertree road area...From the top end by Overton street down towards Botanic road?

I was brought up there in the 60's...
    Cheers

Do you remember Kay's the dress shop and Freemans the department store ?

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Do you remember Kay's the dress shop and Freemans the department store ?

Certainly do...My Mum and Dad bought me a bike from Freemans for passing my 11 plus.

Also Sturlas, Crawfords, and Woolies at the top next to Freemans.

Are you from around there?

No I'm from Anfield but I had an aunty who lived in Winifred st off Wavertree rd. My mum or nan would take me visiting and we would have a look in the shops there. My mum used to get lots of stuff from Freemans, it was a good shop. They sold everything, shoes, clothes, perfumes, etc. They even sold records, I remember buying chart hits there.
    Kays the dress shop was there for years, my mum always used to look in there.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Smile

I have a few from the top end of Wavertree Road and also the Botanic Pub...

Wavertree Road, Edge Hill Now sadly fallen into dis-repair.

Wavertree Road/Martensen Street I took this for the ornate brickwork really, its something that you don't normally see in buildings today!

Wavertree Road The section of Wavertree Road between Overton Street and Nelson Road is generally marked by the Tasker's DIY Superstore. A somewhat dark and grotty building in my view. You would have thought that a DIY shop would at least look pleasant from the outside!

Wavertree Road Looking up to Overton Street and Marmaduke Street, the Royal Arms pub now looks run down and may be possibly closed down; any locals know if this is true??

Wavertree Road Most of the right hand side of Wavertree Road has been landscaped, a familiar story with several routes leading into the City Centre.

Wavertree Road/Winifred Street I thought this scene pretty much summed up the whole area; sadly, it has lost its local community which has led to its slow downfall.

Wavertree Road/Janet Street At least the chippy is still going!

Dorothy Street Just to finish, even derelict properties look appealing in the sunlight!

EDIT:
    Specially for Lindylou...

Winifred Street Looking up toward Gladstone Road.
    Last edited by wallasey; 12-03-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

A nice set Wallasey, thanks for posting them. The ordinary streets and shops deserve some more coverage.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks ged!

Thought it was time to start doing a bit more "streetcorner" photography! Gotta say, the Winifred Street corner pic is my fave at this point in time!

Thanks for posting those, My Dad used to drink in the Botanic pub sometimes.I've sat outside there with a bag of crisps and a bottle of lemonade on many occasions when I was a kid.

It's so sad to see how derelict and grotty it's gone around there.

But at least I've still got my memories of happier times.

I placed the first 4 streets as you go down the hill (from Marmaduke St) on the Wavertree-Edge Hill thread. Last week there was a big yellow skip outside the Botanic pub (which is never a good sign)
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...t=2154&page=15

The images I posted above, and others from around the Gladstone Road area, can also be found here.

Does anyone know how extensive the demolition of properties around here will be? The likes of Winifred Street are practically fully occupied whilst Gladstone Road is completely derelict there abouts.

Apologies for double post...it's been a while since the above!

Now, I have had a query regarding Overton Street from a Flickr User; I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto this....?

HI, and congratulations on your photos (I've been looking at Kensington), when I take mum for a drive round Liverpool, these are just the sort of street where her family lived years ago.

You have a picture of Overton Street, showing the Royal Arms. Way back in about 1911, one of my ancestors was a sergeant major in the TA (Yeomanry of the Duke of Lancaster I think) at Overton Road East. I wondered whether the TA were still there, or perhaps the Royal Arms was built on the TA grounds? I know it's a long shot!

Regards
    Hilary
    I have referred her to this site, but if anyone has any information, I will get back in touch with her. Sadly, I am oblivious to the goings on of Overton Street back in the good ol' days!

Many Thanks in advance for your help!

All the best

Russ

hello Wallasey, I have a photo look so similar to yours, 30 years ago my father used to work there I think around 1975-1978 I am not sure but it just look so similar, the door, the blocked window, can anyone comfirm is it the same shop? Wallasey your photos really bring back my memory, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img038.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	8343  

Default some help and corrections

just some help.
    the picture labled Winifred Street Looking up toward Gladstone Road" in fact Janet street. asily identifed by the two sets of two modern corportation houses on the right. My mates grandmother , Mrs Howard lived in the first one. and i remember playing in the same positioned house in winifred street when it was being modernised in the 70's. Also the fresh fry chippy is n the same place pace as woks cooking. (wavertree police station can be seen far right. Freemans tokens does ring a bell to.

Default some shops from old wavertree road.

the dress shop was called Kay nelsons.

some more shops i rememembr were Joe Bensons the decorating/wallpaper shop Smiths news agents oposite the Royal arms aka top bents aka the big royal;
    Appletons at the end of janet street opposite the now woks cooking, the paradise cafe/takeaway bwtween cicelly street and martenson. the little royal the the end of cicelly st. the spar at teh end of winifred. cutthecost between winifred and janet street. and alot further won between durning and botanic nutalls the electrical shop.

I remember Nuttals electrical shop. I used to live opposite it on Wavertree road. Also Hursts sweet shop next to the post office. Harrys Newsagents, Charlies chippy, Jacksons grocers. The Magnet, Coxells newsagents, Levis newsagent, The Botanic pub(known as the Cat), Gordons Toy shop,Taffy Evans motorbike shop,Crawfords carpets (I think)...Tom Grogans barbers...were I used to sit on a plank across the arms of the chair to lift me up higher.

Happy days indeed.
    "Such Power Exists?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast