Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
[COLOR="#000000"]Kate Barker report.

The UK is empty!
Far too much land is given over to agriculture, about 78%, which only accounts for about 2.5% of the UK economy.

DATA ON LAND USAGE

The land cover of Great Britain is 23.5m hectares. Taken from the Office of National Statistics, in 2002, usage was as follows:

• Settled land - 1.8m hectares. 7.65% of the land mass.
  • Agricultural land - 10.8m hectares. 45.96% of the land mass.
  • Semi-natural land, with much uses as agricultural land - 7.0m hectares. 29.78% of the land mass.
  • Woodland - 2.8m hectares. 11.91% of the land mass
  • Water bodies - 0.3m hectares. 1.28% of the land mass.
  • Sundry, largely transport infrastructure - 0.8m hectares. 3.42% of the land mass.

Ay mate, do us a favour, if you’re going to do massive revisions, post again will you? What are you trying to hide?

Now - out of that data you tell me which is the land that’s empty. Even accepting your figures of the value of agricultural use as 2.5% of the UK economy, I wonder how much food it generates to sustain the population. 100%? I doubt it, if any supermarket shelf is anything to go by. We don’t even have enough land to feed ourselves.

So full of it.

Again... this is what I call empty

The brownfield sites in the North End:

northbrownfield by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

Add to that... the population of the Liverpool side of the 'Atlantic Gateway Strategic Investment Area' - all of the land between the railway and the river between the city centre and boundary with Sefton plus most of the Leeds Street area is... precisely zero. That's what I call empty:

000_100outlinesmll by Peter McGurk, on Flickr