Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life and Times At The Iron Door Club

I really don't know about the service it gave, I have never heard anything bad said about it. As I said I only rode on it once and that was on its last day.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Lindylou: Thanks for your comments on the Iron Door Site. If you ever encounter any friends who did go to "the Door" I would be grateful if you could get them to comment on it. I am always digging for new information.

Peter

chippie

I,ve just looked through my file Ernie and Margaret Alan lived in number five from 1920 and was not there in 1956, so she had a good innings for 35 years. I was too young to know her but I still have a cousin who may know her, and an uncle who may know your dad. If you prefer to pm me with his name I,ll investigate for you.

For those who may still be interested in the Iron Door Club, I have been able to find out additional information through contacts that I have made on this great forum. You can find out what the results of this week's work at the following link. Thanks to all who were kind enough to assist. The Iron Door was a great club about which surprisingly little has been written.

A Doorman's Tale

Peter
    Last edited by overhead; 11-07-2007 at 12:27 PM.

That names the doorman as Georgie Fitzwilliam, his Name was George Fitzgibbon.
    Obviously the writer didn't really know him.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Shytalk: A simple misunderstanding. I appreciate the correction, which is one of the many reasons this forum is so valuable. Corrections to be made shortly.

Peter

The Blue Magnolia Jass Orchestra with Kenny Ball and John Bennett will be performing at the Liverpool Olympia on April 25, 2008 in association with an event "Dancing Through The Years" organized by Geoff Hogarth, the original manager of the Iron Door Club.

There is an interesting story regarding Kenny Ball's early days at the Club which underscores the significance of the Iron Door in promoting music talent in the early 1960s.

You can read about the event at Kenny Ball

If you saw Kenny Ball playing live at the Iron Door I would love to hear from you.
    Last edited by overhead; 11-07-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12