Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concorde

Excellent pics. Isn't there a concorde standing at the entrance to Heathrow? Don't know if it is a repro though...
    It is Accomplished

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Excellent pics. Isn't there a concorde standing at the entrance to Heathrow? Don't know if it is a repro though...
    It is a very small model.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Hi Mark

I believe I saw a Concorde standing at Heathrow when Donna and I were busy picking up our hired car from Enterprise on the north circular road in May. Although it appears what you are talking about is a model. See below. I'm not sure if I saw the same thing which I thought at the time was the actual plane.

Chris

http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES...0HEATHROW.html
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Mark

I believe I saw a Concorde standing at Heathrow when Donna and I were busy picking up our hired car from Enterprise on the north circular road in May. Although it appears what you are talking about is a model. See below. I'm not sure if I saw the same thing which I thought at the time was the actual plane.

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes, that is what I saw.

Thanks for that

Mark
    It is Accomplished

Wow! what wonderful pictures !

Yes, lovely pics. Thanks for posting

chippie

Yes cracker pics there, I wish I was a plane spotter instead of a spotty plain.....

Never had the pleasure of a flight on the Concorde, always looked out for it on Grand National day as we live right by Aintree.
    Was at Liverpool airport the first time it landed and have seen it at Manchester airport (see photo)since its demise a few times whilst passing through and also in New York on a barge next to the USS Intrepid, harboured on the Hudson River (see photo,s)

What fab piccys ! thank you

chippie

That pic of the interior looks a bit clostraphobic too me, what with being terrified of flying, I,d be screaming to get out before the doors were shut

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Mark

Chris

Yeah, she was a model Gents, a highly impressive one too. Sadly, BA have had to get rid of her so she can be replaced by a model of the new Airbus A380. The news story below, dated 23rd March 2007, is taken from the excellent Concorde SST Web Site which has everything you'll ever need to know about this beautiful bird.

After nearly 17 of tenure as the ultimate airport gate guardian, the Heathrow Airport scale Concorde model is set to be removed and shipped to a new display home in Weybridge, the former headquarters of the British Aircraft Corporation.

British Airways’ lease on the prime Heathrow advertising spot expires on March 31st 2007. With the airline set to quit the main central terminal areas next spring, a new multi-year lease for the site, reputed to cost £1.5M annually, did not fit in with their marketing plans.

A BA spokesman said: “ We took the decision last year not to renew the advertising contract for the space on the roundabout.

“ The decision took into account the substantial leasing cost for the site and the fact that we will be moving to Terminal Five in March 2008, which is at the western end of the airport, more than two miles from the roundabout.

“ Concorde ceased flying more than three years ago. It remains and important part of the airliners history, but we must focus on the future. We must also focus on spending our marketing budget as efficiently as possible.

Emirates are reported set to take over the spot, sub-leased by advertising giant JCDecaux, in a new 6 year deal that will see a model of their flagship Airbus A380 on the site, until after London has hosted the 2012 Olympic Games.

The 80ft long 40% scale Concorde model will dismantled by a team of experts on March 29th and turned over to the guardianship of Brooklands Museum on the 30th. The museum hope to temporarily rebuild the model on their museum site as part of their Centenary celebrations in the summer, before its moved to prime spot in the local vicinity where it will serve not only as an ongoing advertisement for British Airways and Brooklands, but as a tribute to the thousands of local people who worked in the BAC factories at Weybridge.

Allan Winn, Director of Brooklands Museum said “ Concorde is an international icon that has close associations with Weybridge, Byfleet and the surrounding area. Prominently displaying it in a public location near to the museum will mean a great deal to the generations whose family members worked in the giant aircraft factory at Brooklands, as powerfully drawing attention to what we have here.”
    Last edited by XL391; 11-06-2007 at 02:40 PM.
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky
    Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club

dug this one out of my cupboard. in London for the day early 2000 I was taking photos of the London Eye when summat caught my eye just above...Concorde. I was so excited this was the only one of 4 that didn't come out blurred. wish I'd have had a digital camera with a zoom back then.

Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12