Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concorde

Default Concorde

Anybody every flown on this magnificant plane ? i never got the chance but i wish i had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu21rM9ahkY

Cadfael

Never been on it but you would find me at the bottom of the Runway in Liverpool each Grand National day for the landing and take off!

chippie

Default concorde or disarray

I remember one day back in the 80s and there was a friend coming to visit me from down south.Instead of staying at home and welcoming them I went to the airport to watch Concorde fly.

Goodness was I like a little kid that day. Coming over the runway it gave a quick roll slightly to one side. I was really chuffed at that and felt quite exhilarated at the sight.

Went home on cloud nine.

Default Infinite pleasure (really!!)

I lived in Waterloo for years right by the beach and I can still remember like yesterday the time that Concorde did the fly past along the beach. It came from the Southport direction and even miles away when everyone first caught sight of it there was a buzz on the sea wall.

When she got nearer the pilot actually brought the plane right down and when she went past it couldn't have been more than a few hundred metres above the beach, it was quite simply one of the most beautiful and graceful sights I have ever seen.

I saw the plane about 2 years ago where one is parked up by the Manchester Airport viewing park and even standing still it looks fast and so graceful. what a shame that BA didn't have the balls to keep it in the air.

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davegore2005 View Post
    I lived in Waterloo for years right by the beach and I can still remember like yesterday the time that Concorde did the fly past along the beach. It came from the Southport direction and even miles away when everyone first caught sight of it there was a buzz on the sea wall.

When she got nearer the pilot actually brought the plane right down and when she went past it couldn't have been more than a few hundred metres above the beach, it was quite simply one of the most beautiful and graceful sights I have ever seen.

I saw the plane about 2 years ago where one is parked up by the Manchester Airport viewing park and even standing still it looks fast and so graceful. what a shame that BA didn't have the balls to keep it in the air.

Dave
    Virgin wanted to, but BA would not allow them to.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

I worked at British Airways at Heathrow. I was on the top floor of the highest building there, TB3. I was between the two runways at one end. The Concorde hangars were beneath us. I regularly went on it, while in the hangar. Small inside but nice. The controls were old fashioned analogue and no CRT as in modern jets.

Every day the plane took off and passed at window level to me - it was noisy. After a while you don't look. It was impressive taking off at night with the after burners on.

BA were scumbags for not allowing Virgin to operate it. Branson said he would make a profit. BA had an obsession with Virgin. They were massive and here was this tiny airline.

The government gave the planes to BA, and should have taken them back off them when they could not operate them and gave them to Virgin. The airframes were in excellent condition as they had hardly been used.
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-24-2007 at 11:00 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Dave
    I guess that this was one of the times that it flew over Aintree race course?. I believe that the pilot was local and lived in the Crosby area, and was buzzing his house.
    I have photos somewhere of Concord when she first came over Liverpool and down the river, I took them in the derelict Albert Dock area.

I never did. But a great aunt of mine did. She lived in California and came over on the QE2 and flew back on Concorde.
    It is Accomplished

In the 80's the French Concorde left Paris and the English Concord left London together, they landed side by side in Orlando Florida. I lived just a few miles south of the airport at that time, a really spectacular sight.

I just Googled it to find out the year, Oct 1982 it was, time flies, seems like last week. It was to celebrate the opening of Disney's Epcot Center.
    Last edited by shytalk; 10-24-2007 at 03:20 PM.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Dave

I was a kid living in Waterloo at the time. Remember it well, magnificent time.

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    I guess that this was one of the times that it flew over Aintree race course?. I believe that the pilot was local and lived in the Crosby area, and was buzzing his house.
    I have photos somewhere of Concord when she first came over Liverpool and down the river, I took them in the derelict Albert Dock area.
    Get them photies up!!!

The photos are not as good as I remember them.
    I am sure that these were taken on the Sunday morning after she flew over Aintree racecourse for the first time. I'm suprised that we got up so early, I think we had breakfast in The Cassablanca on Hope Street

^ very nice. thanks for posting

Very interesting photographs and information!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Here is a pic of the Concord at Manchester, and a pic of a wicker work copy that stands next to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast