Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When a garden is not a garden

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Suspect it will be from Eaton House Gardens
    What about the New Orchid Garden a bit further down from Alder Hey?

In colour/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sir-Thomas.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	24212  

This was more or less its original colour......as was most of the gardens....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sir-Tho.jpg 
Views:	1094 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	24213  

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    I don't know what lies behind the corner in Richmond Park now, but back in 1928 (yup, it's that book again) before the St. Georges RC Industrial School Athletic Ground there is/was the West Derby Union Test House.
    Just sayin'...

You might be getting mixed up with Richmond Row (L3, I think)

I've never heard of a school of that name in Anfield.

I think Richmond Park L6 was originally known as Richmond Hill - I'll have to consult my ancient maps to refresh my memory
    Anyway, I think it was a park of sorts consisting of residential villas as a gated estate. Only two villas still existed until recent times - or 3 if you count the old vicarage which is also now well gone.
    Elm house still exists - which I think was included as part of the Richmond Park estate.

The West Derby Union workhouse was on that site Lindy. It was accessed from Belmont road and those high walls on Richmond Park were around the grounds at the rear.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Notice in the Myrtle Gardens photo, the lift shaft brickwork is of a different colour. That's because all tenement lift shafts were only added in 1950 after a directive from central government. The 5 storey height was a Government policy in the 30s when most were built. (though I have actually seen evidence of a 6th landing where blocks were built on an incline and so the lower part's extra storey did not break the rule - seemingly)
    Brings back memories of when my dear old Gran used to visit us in Portland Gardens.
    Dad and I used to go down and 'chair-lift her up to the 'D' floor.
    If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ellergreen View Post
    ... 'chair-lift her up to the 'D' floor.
    Is that "Haberdashery, or socks, ties, hats, underwear and shoes..."

BTW...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...YouBeingServed

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The West Derby Union workhouse was on that site Lindy. It was accessed from Belmont road and those high walls on Richmond Park were around the grounds at the rear.
    Living in Wolverton st, I know it well

When we were kids we used to sneak a peep around the gate into Belmont rd hozzy ( we wouldn't dare venture into the grounds) -- there was a side gate in Richmond Park (now bricked up). Also, my Richmond Park neighbours worked in the hospital.
    I have been in Belmont hospital as a visitor in later years. I also remember the convent next door on Belmont rd side.

I knew that the hospital was originally a workhouse, my nan still used to call it that sometimes even when it was a hospital.
    I have vague memory that it's official name was The West Derby Union workhouse - but my nan always just referred to it as the workhouse.
    Even after it became a hospital, there was still a section in the grounds, Lower Breck rd end, that was known locally as 'the cubicals' - I've mentioned here on other threads a few times. It was for homeless - and was literally cubicals, ie, cell shaped partitions with a bed. The cubicals were still there in the 1960s. The reception was just past the ambulance depot which still exists on Lower breck rd. It would have been approx around about where the old age care home Rowan Garth is now.
    There was no school called St Georges. If there was it must have been before 1900's ..
    It's not on my old maps and I've never heard Anfield elders mention it.

As I say, Richmond Park was an area of gated villas. early 1800s probably.

ps, the hospital was only demolished 1980s - I have pics of the grounds after demolition.

Is that "Haberdashery, or socks, ties, hats, underwear and shoes..."

BTW...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...YouBeingServed
    We even heard Mr Grace telling us "You've done a fine job"
    If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    You might be getting mixed up with Richmond Row (L3, I think)

I've never heard of a school of that name in Anfield.

I think Richmond Park L6 was originally known as Richmond Hill - I'll have to consult my ancient maps to refresh my memory
    Anyway, I think it was a park of sorts consisting of residential villas as a gated estate. Only two villas still existed until recent times - or 3 if you count the old vicarage which is also now well gone.
    Elm house still exists - which I think was included as part of the Richmond Park estate.
    It cannot be easy for me to get mixed-up...what with the little I know anyway.

R.Pk. Is Tue Brook way. R.Row, I see as a long main-drag that terminates on Scotland Road. The R.Pk in this book is a dog-leg that begins/ends on 'Coer' (?) Breck Road & Townsend Lane.

Not that I am any further forward.

Hey!! Don'tt forget my early abode, Speke Road Gardens!!! (The nicest of all! imho)

St. Joseph's Home also known as St. Joseph's House was next to the hospital in Belmont Road. It was a catholic old people's home run by nuns.

Blue

It cannot be easy for me to get mixed-up...what with the little I know anyway.

R.Pk. Is Tue Brook way. R.Row, I see as a long main-drag that terminates on Scotland Road. The R.Pk in this book is a dog-leg that begins/ends on 'Coer' (?) Breck Road & Townsend Lane.

Not that I am any further forward.
    Yes, Richmond Park is a dog-leg from Breck rd (with Holy Trin church on the corner) to Lower Breck rd.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
    St. Joseph's Home also known as St. Joseph's House was next to the hospital in Belmont Road. It was a catholic old people's home run by nuns.

Blue
    Yes that's it - St Joseph's, run by 'Sisters of the poor'

I don't know what lies behind the corner in Richmond Park now, but back in 1928 (yup, it's that book again) before the St. Georges RC Industrial School Athletic Ground there is/was the West Derby Union Test House.
    Just sayin'...
    You were pretty much correct in your post Oudeis.....The Test house covered roughly the present day area between Belmont Grove and the parallel stretch of Richmond Park.
    The St Georges RC Industrial School Athletic Ground adjoined it on the site of the Present St Margaret's C of E School and was all part and parcel of the Workhouse complex . Before moving to the Workhouse Site the Mixed Industrial School had been at West Derby Rd and prior to that it was at the Netherfield Rd area.
    The Girls School eventually split and moved to various locations.

collegepudding

Blog Entries

I doubt that I was either right or wrong. I was only telling it as it is displayed in the cherished 1928 map book.
    I did wonder quite what was being tested.
    I have learned enough here though for me not to rely on this book to get me around present day Liverpool.

It's all good clean fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast