Thread: Cavaliers in South Liverpool?

Blog Entries

Default Cavaliers in South Liverpool?

I know that Liverpool Castle was lost to Prince Rupert "the Mad Cavalier" in the civil war of the mid 1600's but does anyone know of any historical info about Liverpool's occupation during that time? I'm particularly trying to find evidence for Cavalier activity in or around the Woolton area.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    I know that Liverpool Castle was lost to Prince Rupert "the Mad Cavalier" in the civil war of the mid 1600's but does anyone know of any historical info about Liverpool's occupation during that time? I'm particularly trying to find evidence for Cavalier activity in or around the Woolton area.

Cheers.
    Hello researchwriter

Apparently there was a skirmish at Bloody Acre in Childwall during the Civil War. See

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Cadfael

Last edited by Cadfael; 10-19-2007 at 12:07 AM.

The Gay Cavalier Garston, many a skirmish there in the 60s could not resist.

Blog Entries

What a shame that pub went and is now an exhaust garage.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

They knock down the Pubs left right and centre all over Liverpool ,but do they ever build new ones to replace them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello researchwriter

Apparently there was a skirmish at Bloody Acre in Childwall during the Civil War. See

Chris
    Cheers Chris.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Thanks very much for this Cadfael. Can I ask where the image comes from (just so I can reference it properly if necessary).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    They knock down the Pubs left right and centre all over Liverpool ,but do they ever build new ones to replace them?

Pubs have been disappearing for decades now. Look at the 4 volumes on a pub on every corner by Freddy O'connor and there are many omissions in those too.

There are loads of traditional pubs now derelict and will no doubt be burnt out if not already. Two well known ones, the King Eddy and the Crown have only just recently gone. Other old ones have a change of usage into shops or cafes. ie. The hangman, the Prince Alfred, The Brown cow etc...

The new type (and there aren't that many) seem to be on busy thoroughfares such as Queens Drive (at junctions) and are toby carverys or other one storey style eating houses, i'm thinking here of the Setter & Vine, the Stag & Rainbow, The Richomnd Tavern church road and the one on Aigburth Road.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks very much for this Cadfael. Can I ask where the image comes from (just so I can reference it properly if necessary).

Cheers

Hi researchwriter and Cadfael

I don't know the source of the image that you posted, Cadfael, so you can speak to that point. However, the reference to Samuel Derrick and the view from Bloody Acre appears to refer to the following:

'The roads from Liverpool,' wrote Samuel Derrick in 1760, 'are deep and sandy; consequently rather unpleasant; but the views are rather extensive, particularly from a summerhouse on Childwall Hill, about three miles distant, where you have a prospect of fifteen counties and a good view of the sea. In the skirts of this hill are several small villages with gentlemen's seats scattered about, well covered and for the most part delightfully situated. . . . The views from the neighbourhood of the church, from the hall, Gateacre, and as far as Woolton Hall. . . are extensive and particularly fine. On the west are seen with more distant eminences, Aughton Hills, near Ormskirk, traversing a line of country to the north-east. The prospect from Prescot to Farnworth terminates on the south-east with a distant view of the ruins of Halton Castle—now fast mouldering away—a range of hills beyond, and Norton Priory. . . . A large portion of the Mersey water forms one of the features of this scene, and gives great interest to a landscape that extends nearly fifteen miles. . . ."

Letters from Leverpoole, i, 29, quoted in Baines' Lancs. (ed. Croston), v, 39. From: 'Townships: Childwall', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 108-111.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Cadfael

Cheers

It is - Childwall, A Brief History. Written by Liverpool City Libraries in 1985, you would need to write off to them directly to ask them for permission to reproduce the article.

PhilipG

Wasn't Prince Rupert based at Everton?

Yes, as far as I know. There were barracks around Mere lane/Robson st way. Not sure of the exact location, but in that neck of the woods. (or it might have been more over towards Village st, Everton Brow)
    Sorry to be vague, but I once saw an old picture print of the barracks.

Chippie might know - he knows a bit about the history of Everton.

I think near to village st there was a Rupert's hill or Rupert's hill lane. It was a great vantage point at the top of Everton brow over the city to the river.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Wasn't Prince Rupert based at Everton?
    "He looked down upon the town from Everton Brow. 'A mere crow's nest', he sneered 'which a parcel of boys might take'. Some crow, some nest."

http://www.lmu.livjm.ac.uk/lhol/content.aspx?itemid=63
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist