Thread: Victoria Hotel Garston

Default Victoria Hotel Garston

My grandmother was born in the Victoria Hotel in King Street Gartson in 1881 and my great grandfather (James Prophet) was the licenced victualler there for quite a few years before that. According to records he married 3 times.
    I know it was still there a few years ago but I'd be interested to know if it's still standing or if anyone knows anything about the family.
    My grandmother Ann married a Henry George Vernon Griffiths who lived on Stanley Park Avenue in Anfield

Blog Entries

I believe that is the Victoria Hotel that the enquiry was about, Oudeis. As the person who posted the photographs on Flickr said, hopefully the pub will see a rebirth in an area of regeneration, though the property doesn't look too good. Does anybody have any current news of it, whether it was sold to new owners, and will reopen, or what?
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes that's the place. The picture I saw was on an auction site about 2 years ago (Pugh & Co.) I wondered if it had been purchased, and if so was it being done up or is it being pulled down.

I think my G. Grandfather might be buried in St Michaels graveyard which apparently isn't far away.

Blog Entries

Well Jack. I have just put, "King Street Gartson " into Google maps and was taken to the place marked as, Victoria Hotel (PH). Alas all there is to see his housing.

Just had a look on Google street view and it's still there on the corner of Sinclair Street. Looks like I'm going to have to have a visit down there. I've also got quite a few relatives buried in Anfield cemetary too. Perhaps I could make a day of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rammy Jack View Post
    Just had a look on Google street view and it's still there on the corner of Sinclair Street. Looks like I'm going to have to have a visit down there. I've also got quite a few relatives buried in Anfield cemetary too. Perhaps I could make a day of it.
    One thing for sure, though the fate of the pub may be uncertain, your relatives are going nowhere.

Good luck with your search.

QuotedI think my G. Grandfather might be buried in St Michaels graveyard which apparently isn't far away.)

St Michaels is just across the road from the Vic! Google Street View still shows the pub windows bricked-up. but a lot of new housing has been built around the King Street area so the Vic is possibly destined for demolition.

Hi Rammy Jack

Your great grandfather married four times - the fourth time was to my great, great, great grandmother, Mary Jane Hulme! She was a widow with 9 children, and they married on 5 Sept 1886. She died 11 years later, leaving her money to the local vicar.